• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin trains offer Man Picc - Lon Eus

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingboyD

Hi all, just planning a trip to london with some cheap virgin tickets - http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/specialoffers/default.aspx

Getting to Man picc isnt a problem but the return journey is giving me a slight headache due to lack of trains out of Man picc after the stated return time of 22:55, does anyone here know if this service will stop @ crewe or will it be a non stop between Man and London???

Ta :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trains06

A 22:55 Virgin Pendolino from Piccadilly to Euston? So far as I can see the train doesn't exist... I've checked the LDB systems, The online VT timetables and my pocket timetable - No 22:55. Is it a weekday/end?

Last trains on the route Mon-Fri are

Southbound:
Manchester Piccadilly 2115
London Euston 2350

Northbound:
London Euston 2200
Manchester Piccadilly 0113

KingboyD

My fault, that is the arrive time @ Man, it leaves Euston @ 20:40 :) The problem I was having is the lack of trains out of Man Picc after 22:55 so I was hoping to hop out at Crewe :)

Trains06

London Euston 2040
Crewe 2213
Wilmslow 2229
Stockport 2238
Manchester Piccadilly 2251

Hope that helps!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Hi all, just planning a trip to london with some cheap virgin tickets - http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/specialoffers/default.aspx

Getting to Man picc isnt a problem but the return journey is giving me a slight headache due to lack of trains out of Man picc after the stated return time of 22:55, does anyone here know if this service will stop @ crewe or will it be a non stop between Man and London???

Ta :D

You can't hop off at Crewe, really. It's an Advance ticket, bookable tween Euston and Manchester online.

Beware these tickets, there has been a lot of frustrated customers who paid and never received them. theticketcollector.co.uk had a great write up on this, but sadly the site has been taken down. I've tried to use this service, and it's not gone well. I recommend you proceed with caution! If it works for you, let us know!

KingboyD

You can't hop off at Crewe, really. It's an Advance ticket, bookable tween Euston and Manchester online.

Forgive my ignorance but how can they stop you from getting off at Crewe if the train is stopping there? :|

Beware these tickets, there has been a lot of frustrated customers who paid and never received them. theticketcollector.co.uk had a great write up on this, but sadly the site has been taken down. I've tried to use this service, and it's not gone well. I recommend you proceed with caution! If it works for you, let us know!

The site still works click and see http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/specialoffers/default.aspx I have booked/paid and recieved the tickets to my mobile as the site states, seems to have worked for me!? Has anyone had any trouble with this offer/Virgin trains/Mobitix???

Trains06

Good News: It is very easy to blend in at Crewe in the peak times and in the afternoon although, Im sure you could blend in with the crowd at anytime and the TM and the dispatchers would be none the wiser - They wouldn't even know that you were not supposed to get off there :D

Pumbaa

Established Member
Forgive my ignorance but how can they stop you from getting off at Crewe if the train is stopping there? :|

The site still works click and see http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/specialoffers/default.aspx I have booked/paid and recieved the tickets to my mobile as the site states, seems to have worked for me!? Has anyone had any trouble with this offer/Virgin trains/Mobitix???

Yup - tried using it three times before, and left me £9 out of pocket plus associated phone calls to VT customer service, then having to re-book tickets that since had moved out of the cheaper quotas etc. I haven't had a pleasant experience with this service, and I gather many haven't. But if it's worked for you, something must be going right!

Umm, they will ask to see your ticket (on your Mobile) as you attempt to leave the station, and then when they see it's and Advance ticket to Manchester, you'll get a talking to. I have no idea if RPIs still haunt Crewe at 10 at night, but I imagine they would as it's a pretty busy station.

Last edited:

Trains06

If there are any problems you could (Depending on dates of course) get a good deal with a normal fare, but I checked up and for the way back its an OKAY £22.00 one way, seems a bit much but if you look deeper (at other routes - namedly C and D) and your thinking about dropping off at Crewe you can get £15.00 one way.

KingboyD

Oh! I had no idea, saw it advertised, gave it a go and it worked, I might give it a 2nd thought in future and count myself lucky this time!

EDIT: Just read your respons, looks like its not worth the financian risk of leaving @ Crewe maybe.

Trains06

Yup - tried using it three times before, and left me £9 out of pocket plus associated phone calls to VT customer service, then having to re-book tickets that since had moved out of the cheaper quotas etc. I haven't had a pleasant experience with this service, and I gather many haven't. But if it's worked for you, something must be going right!

Umm, they will ask to see your ticket on your Mobile as you attempt to leave the station, and then when they see it's and Advance ticket to Manchester, you'll get a talking to. I have no idea if RPIs still haunt Crewe at 10 at night, but I imagine they would as it's a pretty busy station.

They ask to see your mobile, thats suprising! Ive never got asked for my ticket at Crewe before (and yet its my local staton) :P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, if *name escapes me -sowwi* is correct they may ask to see your mobile, BUT I've never been asked for my mobile/ticket before. Then again I've never used this exact servive :P

Pumbaa

Established Member
They ask to see your mobile, thats suprising! Ive never got asked for my ticket at Crewe before (and yet its my local staton) :P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, if *name escapes me -sowwi* is correct they may ask to see your mobile, BUT I've never been asked for my mobile/ticket before. Then again I've never used this exact servive :P

In that case, if you've never been asked for a ticket whilst leaving the station, you should be fine.

glynn80

Established Member

Umm, they will ask to see your ticket (on your Mobile) as you attempt to leave the station, and then when they see it's and Advance ticket to Manchester, you'll get a talking to. I have no idea if RPIs still haunt Crewe at 10 at night, but I imagine they would as it's a pretty busy station.

Crewe isn't barriered, the only time they would ask to see your ticket on your mobile would be if a temporary barrier of RPIs was set up for a sting which I have never personally seen...

Trains06

Not at Crewe, occasionally at Stockport - but don't rely on me - I would ask around first just to be sure. ^^^^ Agreeing with Glyyn

Ill check the thread tmoz because I was off work ill today and Im going to go to bed... zzzzzz.....

-06-

Pumbaa

Established Member
Crewe isn't barriered, the only time they would ask to see your ticket on your mobile would be if a temporary barrier of RPIs was set up for a sting which I have never personally seen...

I was referring to that - both times I've left the station I've been asked for a ticket by RPI's standing either side of the main entrance. Mind you, that's twice I've used Crewe in 4 years. Must have just been unlucky to get them both times.

Trains06

Last post of the night I think:

I don't know if RPI's monitor this but there are 2 other entrances to Crewe. The Blue Walkway for the buses and the Platform 12 - Crewe Station car park.

Established Member
Not at Crewe, occasionally at Stockport - but don't rely on me - I would ask around first just to be sure. ^^^^ Agreeing with Glyyn

Ill check the thread tmoz because I was off work ill today and Im going to go to bed... zzzzzz.....

-06-

Ticket barriers operate most days at Stockport until about 6pm

There can be stints of them being there in the morning only or not at all on some days

but generally they're there from 7-8am til 6-7pm

Techniquest

Veteran Member
In that case, if you've never been asked for a ticket whilst leaving the station, you should be fine.

I've never ever been asked to have my ticket looked at, and I suspect that at 2213 at Crewe they'll have buggered off home anyway! But I've been there at night and there's been no RPIs around anyway.

metrocammel

In the past 8 years or so, I have passed through the doors at Crewe many times, and I have yet to see a gripper doing platform/ footbridge barrier checks. I imagine it would be very difficult, as to have an effective 'barrier' at Crewe, they would need to barrier the 'main' concourse section, as well as the 'back' entrance that leads to where the rail replacement coaches go from - which afaik, there is no way of locking.

I generally wouldn't recommend going short on an AP ticket, however, I think Crewe is one place you won't have a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.