• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains proposed Shrophire - Euston services

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickJ

Virgin spokesman Jim Rowe confirmed on BBC Radio Shropshire that the trains will call at Shrewsbury, Wellington and Telford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoidberg

Established Member
Last edited:

8J

I am still confused as to what stock they are going to use to run this service? Re-introduce the 90+MK3?

Rich McLean

Established Member
I am still confused as to what stock they are going to use to run this service? Re-introduce the 90+MK3?

I would assume a Class 221, maybe coupled/split to/from another unit at Wolves or New Street.

Thinking about it, if they review the timings, a portion coming from shropshire arrives in Wolves and attaches to a Class 221 arriving from Scotland, and then continuing to Euston via BHM and 2x221s. However, then there would not be a portion available to work the return Anglo-Scot, unless they had a Pendo at Oxley to make the return run.

Then 2x221s to Wolves, which split, 5 cars to Telford, and 5 cars to Scotlands

However, easier said than done

The Planner

Veteran Member
If it is 11.33 then it is following the Glasgow, which makes sense as that is right away Warrington. Considering the next is the 11.40 Picc which is non stop Crewe, I can see this Shrewsbury doing MK only. Rugby may be tight with the 11.40 up it's backside. That puts it at Cov around 12.33ish which puts it behind the LM stopper into New St which would be an odd thing to do. If it goes non stop to Cov it may beat the Bomo - Man Picc XC and get infront. Will need to do some digging.

calc7

Established Member
If it is 11.33 then it is following the Glasgow, which makes sense as that is right away Warrington. Considering the next is the 11.40 Picc which is non stop Crewe, I can see this Shrewsbury doing MK only. Rugby may be tight with the 11.40 up it's backside. That puts it at Cov around 12.33ish which puts it behind the LM stopper into New St which would be an odd thing to do. If it goes non stop to Cov it may beat the Bomo - Man Picc XC and get infront. Will need to do some digging.

Wouldn't it be pulled off onto the Birmingham Line at Hillmorton Jct, thus making a call at Rugby entirely feasible and of no consequence to the Manchester via Crewe up its arse?

Pumbaa

Established Member
Wouldn't it be pulled off onto the Birmingham Line at Hillmorton Jct, thus making a call at Rugby entirely feasible and of no consequence to the Manchester via Crewe up its arse?

No, the turn-out at Rugby is only 40mph for the Down Coventry (?) line and can chew up the headway. Whereas flying through the turnout is at 100 something, 105 I think? Plus the turnout is protected, with signals spaced for 125mph. It's a long section. And obviously MK poses no problem as its 125 straight through.

For comparison, the xx03 calling at Rugby will often cause the xx07 behind it to get checked south of Rugby. This would be exacerbated by the xx33 in this case being a 221, from memory it takes 3 mins longer than a 390 to do London - Rugby. So you have the same situation.

TomJ93

Wouldn't it just be an extension of the XX:22 (EUS) nb XX:47 (WVR) southbound, calling at WTJ, COV, BHI, SAD, meaning no more paths needed. As it stands this service is currently 221 formed on the 16:47 northbound departure.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Wouldn't it just be an extension of the XX:22 (EUS) nb XX:47 (WVR) southbound, calling at WTJ, COV, BHI, SAD, meaning no more paths needed. As it stands this service is currently 221 formed on the 16:47 northbound departure.

No - look overleaf, 1133 and 1837. Entirely new services.

calc7

Established Member

That would have been my first thought, but as mentioned by other contributors, they are using a spare path.

cle

Established Member
What is the story with these paths in other hours? If they can depart Euston at 11/xx33 and 18/xx37 then surely other trains can depart in other hours? The 1837 perhaps not as peak, but what about 1033, 1233, 1333 etc... ?

tbtc

Veteran Member
No - look overleaf, 1133 and 1837. Entirely new services.

Presumably formed by "undoubling" a doubled up Voyager set from Chester runs?

What is the story with these paths in other hours? If they can depart Euston at 11/xx33 and 18/xx37 then surely other trains can depart in other hours? The 1837 perhaps not as peak, but what about 1033, 1233, 1333 etc... ?

Is this the "tenth path" (rumoured for Liverpool or Blackpool, depending on who you believe)?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Presumably formed by "undoubling" a doubled up Voyager set from Chester runs?

Is this the "tenth path" (rumoured for Liverpool or Blackpool, depending on who you believe)?

xx33 already used for 1333 Lancaster on Fridays, 1633 Preston and 1733/1833 Liverpool.

Reading this, I think the best option is to actually run it non stop to Coventry. I'm not sure there'd be enough demand for MKC/Rugby to Shrewsbury to justify the 11.40 getting signal checked approaching either.

steve099

This Shropshire Council press release states via Stafford and Rugby. Would be an odd mistake to make so I assume it's correct but perhaps calls at Wolverhampton too (where the train would reverse!?). If it is via Stafford, it means Route Birmingham tickets would not allow use on both direct and indirect services via Brum.

The proposed route could be active from December 2013, and would cut journey times from Shrewsbury to London Euston and vice versa down to only 2 hours 12 minutes. Virgin Trains have proposed a running both a Monday to Saturday service, and a Sunday service.

Mondays to Saturdays an early morning and mid-afternoon departure from Shrewsbury are part of the plans, while trains leaving London are planned for late morning and early evening. On Sundays there would only be one departure from Shrewsbury and one departure from London Euston, at as-yet unspecified times. The proposed services will call at Wellington, Telford Central, Stafford and Rugby.

http://shropshire.gov.uk/news/2013/02/virgin-trains-submit-plans-for-direct-shrewsbury-london-service/

Wath Yard

This Shropshire Council press release states via Stafford and Rugby. Would be an odd mistake to make so I assume it's correct but perhaps calls at Wolverhampton too (where the train would reverse!?).

If it lists 4 stations it seems unlikely they would miss the 5th, so I doubt it would call at Wolverhampton and one reversal (at Stafford) would be weird, 2 reversals (Stafford and Wolverhampton) would just be bizarre. Looks like via the Oxley curve.

I hope there are plenty of through passengers from Shropshire - London, because from that calling pattern that is just about the only place anybody would want to go to.

Rich McLean

Established Member
This Shropshire Council press release states via Stafford and Rugby. Would be an odd mistake to make so I assume it's correct but perhaps calls at Wolverhampton too (where the train would reverse!?). If it is via Stafford, it means Route Birmingham tickets would not allow use on both direct and indirect services via Brum.

http://shropshire.gov.uk/news/2013/02/virgin-trains-submit-plans-for-direct-shrewsbury-london-service/

In that case, it will reverse at Wolves and go via Stafford and the TV. This is probably down to Pathing through the West Midlands, but I still can't understand why they just don't extend a Wolerhampton Termination and run it Class 221 vice 390 (of course it would need to be ideally doubled as far as New Street)

No, the turn-out at Rugby is only 40mph for the Down Coventry (?) line and can chew up the headway. Whereas flying through the turnout is at 100 something, 105 I think? Plus the turnout is protected, with signals spaced for 125mph. It's a long section. And obviously MK poses no problem as its 125 straight through.

For comparison, the xx03 calling at Rugby will often cause the xx07 behind it to get checked south of Rugby. This would be exacerbated by the xx33 in this case being a 221, from memory it takes 3 mins longer than a 390 to do London - Rugby. So you have the same situation.

Pumbaa, your information is complete rubbish as usual !

Rugby down fast to platform 1 is 60mph.
Rugby platform 1 to down Coventry is 75mph.
Rugby down fast to down Coventry is 125mph EPS. 100mph PS.

The Planner

Veteran Member
He may have the speeds wrong, but the fact still remains that the turn out to platform 1 is hideously approach controlled and will knock the stuffing out of any train. Platform 2 is no better unless the forward route is set towards Brinklow as the approach then gets flashing yellows, if not, the same applies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I hope there are plenty of through passengers from Shropshire - London, because from that calling pattern that is just about the only place anybody would want to go to.

Whilst not ideal, a Shrewsbury to Rugby Anytime Return would be valid on this service (£31.60), even though not normally valid via Stafford. When combined with a Rugby to London Anytime Return (£123), this results in a return price of £154.60, which is less than the £204 'Route Birmingham' Anytime Return.

Should this service come to fruition, one would hope that Virgin introduce a 'Route Penkridge' Anytime Return at £204 (a Stafford to London Anytime Return costs £197 so this wouldn't mess up their pricing structure). Such a ticket would remain valid via Birmingham as this route would cost the same price.

Alternatively, Virgin could consider introducing some sensibly priced (by which I mean sub three figure) Advance fares.

Or they could just reduce the price of Stafford to London fares...

Pumbaa

Established Member
Pumbaa, your information is complete rubbish as usual !

Rugby down fast to platform 1 is 60mph.
Rugby platform 1 to down Coventry is 75mph.
Rugby down fast to down Coventry is 125mph EPS. 100mph PS.

I knew you or someone else would be along soon enough - I couldn't be arsed dragging out the SA and plumped for hazy memory. I'd have hoped the "?" and "I think" clarified that ;) Anyway, apologies for the duff info.

SprinterMan

Established Member

http://goo.gl/maps/WFe8x

As can be seen here, there is a chord between the line to Shrewsbury and the line to Stafford, mostly used by things coming out of Oxley, that avoids Wolverhampton, so I assume this will be used.

I imagine the route will be:
London Euston - Rugby - Stafford (reverse) - Bushbury Junction - Oxley Junction - Telford Central - Wellington - Shrewsbury

There have been calls to reinstate the Shrewsbury-Stafford line in recent years, so I assume VT marketing will have a field day claiming how they have done it without having to build any new lines ;)

Makes you think though, will it be overtaken by the Glasgow train while it is stopped at Rugby?

Adam :D

Last edited:
He may have the speeds wrong, but the fact still remains that the turn out to platform 1 is hideously approach controlled and will knock the stuffing out of any train. Platform 2 is no better unless the forward route is set towards Brinklow as the approach then gets flashing yellows, if not, the same applies.

As you are probably aware the 'standard' does not allow for multiple routes from a flashing yellow sequence unless preliminary route indicators (PRI's) are used. Since the down fast approach to Rugby already has a PRI relevant to Rugby Trent Valley Junction the approach controlled signal sequence to platform one remains.

Now IMHO (from a drivers point of view) the flashing yellow sequence would be better utilized if it applied to platform one and the approach control was used for plarform two.

the sniper

Established Member
http://goo.gl/maps/WFe8x

As can be seen here, there is a chord between the line to Shrewsbury and the line to Stafford, mostly used by things coming out of Oxley, that avoids Wolverhampton, so I assume this will be used.

What uses it coming out of Oxley? There's no OHL on the chord. As far as I know it was/is just there for the merry go round coal traffic to Ironbridge.

It may be, but to my eye it doesn't look like it's up to taking passenger trains.

What uses it coming out of Oxley? There's no OHL on the chord. As far as I know it was/is just there for the merry go round coal traffic to Ironbridge.

It may be, but to my eye it doesn't look like it's up to taking passenger trains.
The only passenger use it sees is the odd diversion or special. Speed is 15mph end to end both ways and believe me you wouldn't want to go much faster.

SprinterMan

Established Member

Oops, my mistake, sorry for the duff info. :)

The only passenger use it sees is the odd diversion or special. Speed is 15mph end to end both ways and believe me you wouldn't want to go much faster.

At least there isn't a load of red tape stopping it from taking passenger trains altogether.

Adam :D

WatcherZero

Established Member
Its interesting Virgin bringing in the Shropshire service, however when they were given the extension they said they would still try and bring in the limited Blackpool services, have we heard anything on that?

As you are probably aware the 'standard' does not allow for multiple routes from a flashing yellow sequence unless preliminary route indicators (PRI's) are used. Since the down fast approach to Rugby already has a PRI relevant to Rugby Trent Valley Junction the approach controlled signal sequence to platform one remains.

Now IMHO (from a drivers point of view) the flashing yellow sequence would be better utilized if it applied to platform one and the approach control was used for plarform two.

I've inquired and I was part wrong. There is NO flashing yellow sequence from the down fast to either platform one or platform two. The only flashing yellow sequence approaching Rugby on the down fast, and this is what I was mixing it up with, is from the down fast to down slow at Hillmorton.

VT have asked NR, who have to date said no, for a flashing yellow sequence from the down fast to platforms one AND two. The PIR issue I quoted above wouldn't be an issue because the PIR wouldn't in this case be lit because it applies to routes from Rugby Trent Valley Junction.
What is stopping them doing it is the standard says where flashing yellows are for multiple routes there can only be a 10mph speed difference in the diverging routes. At Rugby it is 60mph to platform one and 40mph to platform two. VT have suggested the speed to platform one be reduced to 50mph or the speed to platform two be increased to 50mph. NR are also saying they don't want two overlapping flashing yellow sequences, Hillmorton and approach to Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.