• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains QUALIFIED Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Virgin are looking for Qualified Drivers at;Euston, Preston, Wolves, Manchester...

Best Wishes to those that apply

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
How dopey are Virgin to not put 'Qualified' on the advert, burying it in the job desc.

irish_rail

Established Member
Thought it was five years experience for virgin

There is no minimum requirement with Virgin, as long as you have completed your probationary period. I had an interview with Virgin some years ago, 18 months into my driving career, so do not give up....

A-driver

Established Member
Virgin tend to get pick of the drivers and in the past it has been said that they prefer those who are instructors/have done higher grade duties etc.

Saying that though many TOCs also prefer newer drivers as they will have a longer future at the company, are less set in their ways, less militant and easier to train.

Either way the only way to find out if you have a chance is to apply. For the sake of spending an hour or so filling in an application it maybe worth it

JAMBO

Probably helps if you know a driver on the inside,and to save your application hitting the bin.

A-driver

Established Member
Probably helps if you know a driver on the inside,and to save your application hitting the bin.

I'm afraid those days are over. Not sure specifically about Virgin but I now people who have tried using contacts in both the driver and management grades to move to qualified positions and can't get past HR with it.

JAMBO

Them days are definitely not over at all. Who you know on the railway goes a very long way especially with flagship companies, the proof is there, you could be the best candidate for the job but if joe blogs dad knows the DTM's or even better someone higher then I'm afraid he gets the nod. It's very wrong in my eyes as it should be down to the candidates suitability and interview on the day,but its the way it is, happens in all sorts of jobs outside the railway.

A-driver

Established Member
Them days are definitely not over at all. Who you know on the railway goes a very long way especially with flagship companies, the proof is there, you could be the best candidate for the job but if joe blogs dad knows the DTM's or even better someone higher then I'm afraid he gets the nod. It's very wrong in my eyes as it should be down to the candidates suitability and interview on the day,but its the way it is, happens in all sorts of jobs outside the railway.

Well as I say, i don't know specifics of TOCs like virgin but certainly with the larger TOCs it dosnt work like that at all. Drivers and DMs can put in a good word for you and coach you in filling out application forms but HR get the final say and will still insist you go through the same process as anyone else. All a DM can do is score you well in interview. It's certainly like that in first group anyway.

Silv1983

I notice Virgin have imposed the 2 year pay rise structure to full pay like many TOCs do with trainees (except Euston only 1 year once competent on routes and traction).
Shame in a way. Still good pay mind.

JAMBO

Facts are jobs with major inter city TOCS have to be advertised by law, go by the book as to speak, so it looks like everyone has a chance, then the blindfold is taken off and then we see in fact drivers have already been pencilled in for the jobs. It takes an idiot to see otherwise. Interviewing makes it look professional. It happens all the time. A lot of drivers who have clean records and such don't bother wasting there time applying as they have very little chance of even getting an interview as there granny doesn't work as the on board chef!

455driver

Veteran Member

But as A-driver stated they still need to get past HR first before the "favour" can be called in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.