• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Back in the year 2000 there was a Virgin Train simulator at the back of the ticket hall at Euston station I saw it a couple of times but it was only working once and it showed a drivers eye view does anyone else remember it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Camden

Established Member
I do. I think the overriding sentiment at the time was of over promising and under delivering, due to the delays in the upgrade etc

citycat

A bit off topic, but there was once a class 47 simulator in Selfridges department store in London for a time, located in the toy department. It was a full scale cab mock up with all the controls, but they didn’t work, and a drivers eye film playing through the cab windows.

No idea why it was there. Maybe to do with the Hornby rail layout they had. Mid seventies some time.

Trackman

Established Member
It was a physical thing, life size
Never saw it.
It must be the 390 simulator as it was delivered in early 2000.
I wonder why it was at Euston unless it hadn’t been to Crewe yet.
its an expensive piece of kit, you don’t want to be carting it around everywhere.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Virgin had a Lego themed attraction at Euston , it was part of the original franchise agreement. A 390 cab mock up I recall.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Virgin had a Lego themed attraction at Euston , it was part of the original franchise agreement. A 390 cab mock up I recall.
The franchise agreement specified a Lego themed attraction? I didn't realise back in the early days of privatisation the DfT were that specific in franchise detail terms! :lol:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The franchise agreement specified a Lego themed attraction? I didn't realise back in the early days of privatisation the DfT were that specific in franchise detail terms! :lol:

It was OPRAF in those days - someone had a sense of humour !

Actually , it might have been a "Virgin themed attraction", which was delivered via Lego. It looked quite good. Wonder where the bricks were recycled to.?

WesternLancer

Established Member
It was OPRAF in those days - someone had a sense of humour !

Actually , it might have been a "Virgin themed attraction", which was delivered via Lego. It looked quite good. Wonder where the bricks were recycled to.?
Well corrected, and good question!

Status
Not open for further replies.