• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains Ticket inspectors at Manchester Piccadilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Penalty Fares on Northern would be rather a waste of time.

Or are you proposing to staff Chelford from first train to last 7 days a week?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Penalty Fares on Northern would be rather a waste of time.

Or are you proposing to staff Chelford from first train to last 7 days a week?

As I said earlier - install a TVM. I'm at frequently use Goostrey and around 50% of the time in the morning the guard does not get down the train to sell tickets in the morning.

thenorthern

Established Member
They are back again and I have noticed quite a few free riders are now buying tickets presumably because they are being charged more so it looks like it's having a positive effect.

graham43404

Sad to say Virgin Trains back to what we tend to see half the time this morning. Travelled on the 06:09 from Wigan NW to Euston and not a single ticket check was done anywhere on the journey.

387star

On Moderation
Sad to say Virgin Trains back to what we tend to see half the time this morning. Travelled on the 06:09 from Wigan NW to Euston and not a single ticket check was done anywhere on the journey.

Did the train manager make himself seen?
Maybe a broken avantix

graham43404

Did the train manager make himself seen?
Maybe a broken avantix

To be fair I think he was in the rear unit of the Voyager. But knowing its a double Voyager coming in surely the staff at Euston should be doing barrier checks?

thenorthern

Established Member
To be fair I think he was in the rear unit of the Voyager. But knowing its a double Voyager coming in surely the staff at Euston should be doing barrier checks?

Virgin don't seem to like barrier checks which is probably why they didn't although I think the DFT is saying they must do more in the future and install barriers at their stations.

Just another thing I remember I was on the London to Manchester train a few weeks ago and the guard did a ticket check just after Macclesfield and the man who I was sitting next to reckoned that the guard collected over £200 in my coach alone in otherwise lost revenue from free riders, would you say Virgin Trains and CrossCountry have made more money doing the revenue check at Piccadilly this week when staff costs for RPIs are factored in?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Pretty simple - penalty fare in the first instance, do it again and you go to court.

Unless it's blatant - no need to give the benefit of the doubt and off to court you go!

thenorthern

Established Member
Pretty simple - penalty fare in the first instance, do it again and you go to court.

Unless it's blatant - no need to give the benefit of the doubt and off to court you go!

In an ideal world yes, I think Virgin Trains are becoming stricter so hopefully its a start.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It is *extremely* rare for VT to do on-arrival barrier checks at Euston - and it would be a very unpopular move because it would hold people up for quite some time while they took place unless they had a large number of staff dedicated to it. You are unlikely to see it often.

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In an ideal world yes, I think Virgin Trains are becoming stricter so hopefully its a start.

Though of course VT do not operate penalty fares. But an Anytime Single at the sort of rates they charge would be a "penalty" in its own right!

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.