• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains (VTWC) new livery being introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Earlier on twitter, a member of the twitter team for VTWC replied to a tweet about interior refurbishment saying
No plans to change the interiors at the moment, but we will start changing the livery of our trains next week ^KS

This is the first I've heard of this, and I did attempt to ask if there were any pictures of what the livery will look like, but I was just told to keep my eyes out, so maybe an official announcement will be made in the following week

Does anyone know anything about this new livery, and will it be applied to both the 390 and 221 trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
Earlier on twitter, a member of the twitter team for VTWC replied to a tweet about interior refurbishment saying

This is the first I've heard of this, and I did attempt to ask if there were any pictures of what the livery will look like, but I was just told to keep my eyes out, so maybe an official announcement will be made in the following week

Does anyone know anything about this new livery, and will it be applied to both the 390 and 221 trains?

Alstom opens the UK’s largest and most sophisticated new centre for train modernisation, in Widnes

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2017/06/alstom-opens-the-uks-largest-and-most-sophisticated-new-centre-for-train-modernisation-in-widnes/

As for the livery, I'd expect a very boring, minimalist flat grey that will eventually be vinyled over at the start of the next franchise.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As for the livery, I'd expect a very boring, minimalist flat grey that will eventually be vinyled over at the start of the next franchise.

What, you mean like it already is give or take the red bits? It's presently very generic and could easily be revinyled (and isn't at all dated), hence why I'm surprised at a proposal to change it.

That picture isn't the new livery, it's the Alstom promotional livery that is applied, I think, to one Pendolino and one Voyager only.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
That picture isn't the new livery, it's the Alstom promotional livery that is applied, I think, to one Pendolino and one Voyager only.

Yes, 390104 has the "Alstom Pendolino" livery, to highlight the manufacturers and maintenance team responsible for running the 390's

If the trains are getting their new livery at this new Alstom centre, maybe the 221's won't receive it? Aren't they Bombardier?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah, yes, on the 221 I was thinking about Bombardier Voyager which has a similar promotional livery but for Bombardier :)

221%20115_Polmadie%20Depot_south%20end%20Bombardier.jpg

gazthomas

Established Member
In September's Railways Illustrated it says on page 10:

All 56 units of the Pendolino fleet, which is used on West Coast Main Line express services, are due receive a mid-life repaint in a simpler, less operator-specific livery that will be suitable for use when the franchise is re-tendered in 2019.

Established Member
A bit like the, err, all-over grey with some red on the end of the driving cars they already use? :D

I guess the red roofline will go, otherwise similar. Possibly the window band too?

Yes the intermidiate cars are totally grey with darker grey doors. No red basically between the first and last passenger windows.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Yes the intermidiate cars are totally grey with darker grey doors. No red basically between the first and last passenger windows.

So similar to what they have now, just without the black window band and the red roof band?

Last edited:

leshuttle

Out of interest the East Coast Virgin Azuma red wavey livery on white, is that just promotional? Don't suppose the West Coast will be like this?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Out of interest the East Coast Virgin Azuma red wavey livery on white, is that just promotional? Don't suppose the West Coast will be like this?

If what we've heard so far is true, then the livery will be staying very similar to how it currently looks, but the red roofs will be black or grey, and the black band surrounding the windows will be removed (I believe)

BurtonM

To be fair, the doors were recently de-striped on the 390s. I imagine minor changes to design and colour.
The oldest of the trains are 15 years old and haven't been touched at all, the paint on them does look a bit tired.

roversfan2001

Established Member
If they're planning on giving all the 390s and 221s a new livery before the franchise is out I think they should forward the details of whoever is doing it to Northern, they need a hand :lol:

Starmill

Veteran Member
As I understand it this is because the units require painting for maintenance reasons and this cannot be delayed. Thus a very basic job will probably be done - it is nothing to do with changing the livery.

The new franchisee will most likely take the decision to re-vinyl them later.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I realise this is off topic but if the Pendolinos are getting a repaint.. doesn't that mean that all Voyagers are due the same? CrossCountry will most likely get a basic like livery treatment as well.
Thanks,
Ross

PR1Berske

Established Member
With northern and TransPennine going for, franchise ordered, quasi-neutral liveries, I understand that this must be the way ahead, taking out as much branding as possible to just leave the "service"

fusionblue

I wonder if VTWC will finish applying the new livery before SET finishes (starts again?) theirs.

StephenHunter

Established Member
With northern and TransPennine going for, franchise ordered, quasi-neutral liveries, I understand that this must be the way ahead, taking out as much branding as possible to just leave the "service"

A national standard livery would be a good one... perhaps Blue and Grey? ;)

MylesHSG

I've recently noticed some other the trains now have an Alstom logo underneath the cab windows.

neilb62

I've got pictures of the new livery but I'm not posting on here in case I get my wrists slapped.
Think all over silver, grey doors with the Azuma red-swoop at the cab-ends, the first class end will have a yellow band over the drivers windscreen to aid staff to ID which end is which, personally I can't see why as 390's so rarely get turned.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
As I understand it this is because the units require painting for maintenance reasons and this cannot be delayed. Thus a very basic job will probably be done - it is nothing to do with changing the livery.

The new franchisee will most likely take the decision to re-vinyl them later.

This is exactly what I have heard.
Nameplates might go I've heard too.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I've got pictures of the new livery but I'm not posting on here in case I get my wrists slapped.
Think all over silver, grey doors with the Azuma red-swoop at the cab-ends, the first class end will have a yellow band over the drivers windscreen to aid staff to ID which end is which, personally I can't see why as 390's so rarely get turned.

Aside from the red Azuma swoop and yellow band, that sounds pretty much identical to the current livery

Will this be applied to the 390 and 221, or just 390?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.