• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains (VTWC) new livery being introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Does it have window bands considering 128 did not? And what service was it working if you know

Window bands, i must admit i didn't notice. :oops: Only a glance on passing. I think 1A25, 1047 ex Liverpool but not certain.

Hopefully someone more observant may have seen set 129.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Now we know VT is to end, will they save money by just doing plain white? Decals are surprisingly expensive.

I would hope that VT (Virgin Trains) would rather go out with a bang than a whimper.

I hope they do one 390 in full flowing silk livery or something special. Virgin trains have been with us all for the last 22 years.

Love them or loathe them, the railway will be a less brighter place without Virgin.

Going back to the livery though, depending on when the winning bid of the WCP (West Coast Partnership) is announced, will probably depend on what happens.

If announced in June for a November change then i can see the final few sets staying white or even in a new future livery all together, but please let's have something smart and not boring like Thameslink Class 700s or GNR Class 717s and keep a similar interior ambiance, even with a colour change, as to now.

Jurg

Personally I'd be surprised it it ended up being branded LMS. The removal of London Midland as a TOC in terms of branding and references in infrastructure and ICT hasn't even finished yet. Introducing a similar name to a new TOC would confuse a lot of casual passengers.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Apart from maybe with Virgin, I don't think most passengers even know who they are travelling with TOC wise.
The amount of times I still get asked by passengers (more elderly) do I work for British Rail.
The West Coast part of the WCP might not become LMS but we do have GWR and LNER again now so time will tell.

Steamie Boxes

Apart from maybe with Virgin, I don't think most passengers even know who they are travelling with TOC wise.
The amount of times I still get asked by passengers (more elderly) do I work for British Rail.
The West Coast part of the WCP might not become LMS but we do have GWR and LNER again now so time will tell.
Don’t forget about Southern

fowler9

Established Member
I would hope that VT (Virgin Trains) would rather go out with a bang than a whimper.

I hope they do one 390 in full flowing silk livery or something special. Virgin trains have been with us all for the last 22 years.

Love them or loathe them, the railway will be a less brighter place without Virgin.

Going back to the livery though, depending on when the winning bid of the WCP (West Coast Partnership) is announced, will probably depend on what happens.

If announced in June for a November change then i can see the final few sets staying white or even in a new future livery all together, but please let's have something smart and not boring like Thameslink Class 700s or GNR Class 717s and keep a similar interior ambiance, even with a colour change, as to now.
I'm sure the shareholders would have something to say about splurging a load of money on a new livery on a train for one year.

fowler9

Established Member
They were painted white for a reason.
What does that have to do with what I said? Was the reason so they could spend a fortune painting a unit in a one off livery for a year?

A company about to loose a franchise isn't about to spend a load of money on a special memorial livery. The reason so many liveries are bland is to save money. I could be wrong. Ha ha.

Last edited:
However they have chosen to add the pride decals to the south end of 390045 too, almost a year after they did the north end!

whhistle

On Moderation
However they have chosen to add the pride decals to the south end of 390045 too, almost a year after they did the north end!
I'd have thought they would be ordered as a set together, so perhaps they were just lying around somewhere waiting to be added.

It'll be interesting to see what happens as Virgin is a brand, so image is everything to them.

Wonder whether this will help people remember they're travelling with Cross Country, not Virgin? :p

driver_m

Established Member
God forbid any sinister happenings on the railway!! 8-)

It's about time we got these new front end seats fitted.

You know what it’s like on here for conspiracy theories!

Sooner they change the DSD on the voyagers if I’m honest. The seats ok but the pedal isn’t.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
You know what it’s like on here for conspiracy theories!

Sooner they change the DSD on the voyagers if I’m honest. The seats ok but the pedal isn’t.

A little stiff!! :D :lol:

That's cos you're short legged, long armed.

w1bbl3

Now we know VT is to end, will they save money by just doing plain white? Decals are surprisingly expensive.

I'd have thought any sets VT have already ordered the decal package for will get done but any not ordered will be left plain. Do VT have to pay for debranding under the contract?

js1000

Personally I'd be surprised it it ended up being branded LMS. The removal of London Midland as a TOC in terms of branding and references in infrastructure and ICT hasn't even finished yet. Introducing a similar name to a new TOC would confuse a lot of casual passengers.
Any introduction of LMS branding would be a confusing anachronism. You'd be surprised how many passengers don't understand what train company they are travelling with.

We already have the loosely defined London Northern Eastern Railway and London North Western Railway. Now we're potentially going to get another London branded franchise.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Virgin Trains is like the West Coast equivalent of LNER so should be LNWR.

London Northwestern Railway (West Midlands Trains) is more like the West Coast equivalent of Great Northern and should be something else. London Midland was ideal tbh.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Let's have LMNWWS. 8-)

London Midland North Western/Wales & Scottish. :D

With a union flag colour scheme.

JordyWM

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but 390045 'Virgin Pride' has had the Ride with Pride livery applied to the first class end as well now. It was on the 1055 Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe service today

Virgin Trains 390045
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

Virgin Trains 390045

Virgin Trains 390045

Virgin Trains 390045

Quite sad won’t be seeing this anymore after this year. You won’t see anything this big or stylish on a different TOC.

mmh

Established Member
Quite sad won’t be seeing this anymore after this year. You won’t see anything this big or stylish on a different TOC.

A bit of an exaggeration surely? East Coast and London Overground have also had Pride liveries; LO have poppies each autumn, EC have (had?) a class 91 in a memorial wrap.

I'm afraid rainbow flags often leave me cold - at worst it's meaningless corporate pinkwash.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
The Union flag that doesn't include a representation of the Welsh flag on it? ;) :lol:

Oh yes, apologies to the Welsh and let's have a few dragons as well.:o:)

Let's paint the southern third of sets for England, the middle third for Wales and the Northern third for Scotland. :smile:

Not forgetting these sets do get reversed every now and then, could get confusing.

Seriously I would just like a modern livery that stands out as West Coast, HS2 will have it's own brand and livery as part of the WCP (West Coast Partnership).

Status
Not open for further replies.