• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains website - no CDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
I'm trying to book a half rate return from Coventry to Birmingham International for Sunday 10th July. Outbound at 12:24 and return at 13:20.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I can't get the £1.05 CDR I want. I have to select two singles, then when I click through, it changes to the SDR at £1.50. The "click here for slower services" route isn't working - the website gives a runtime error.

Why can't I get it to show the CDR? Any help much appreciated!

Edit: Got it working in the end - the "click here for slower services" option worked. Pity it doesn't seem to offer the CDR by default though!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The grid does appear to make a muck of it, but the click-through to the fare list works for me and I can see it there? It also appears if you select "Anytime return" (bad wording there) on the search screen.

RJ

Established Member
The grid does appear to make a muck of it, but the click-through to the fare list works for me and I can see it there? It also appears if you select "Anytime return" (bad wording there) on the search screen.

Glad it's not just me who had an issue with the grid. It should be fixed if it's causing an unnecessary Anytime fare to be quoted. I wonder if this always happens when there is no Off Peak single available?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Glad it's not just me who had an issue with the grid. It should be fixed if it's causing an unnecessary Anytime fare to be quoted. I wonder if this always happens when there is no Off Peak single available?

I guess so - the grid works by saying "2x anytime single = anytime return, 2x off peak single = off peak return" etc.

What it should do (and does if I ask for a non-VT journey) is use the old Trainline grid showing return fares if the journey isn't applicable to this. However, while this works for some journeys (I just tried MKC-Fenny Stratford and it did) it seems not to work for these odd short VT journeys where someone else prices the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.