• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains Weekend First with Family and Friends Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

168lover

Hi all,

On the 10th of May my dad and I are doing the charity railtours positioning move using 2 37s to Crewe. We are going to go back on a pendolino using a family and friends railcard. I am wanting to use the virgin trains weekend offer as it is only £5 for under 16s but my dad doesn't want to pay £15 for his part so what I was wandering was would I be able to be in first class and my dad be in standard whilst on a family and friends ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If that fails asking the guard may yield positive results. It may take some explaining but I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed it as long as they see you together with railcard at some point.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I don't think there is an exact definition of what "travelling together" means in this context. Clearly you must be on the same train, but if a train is busy it is plausible that two people might be sitting some distance apart in order to find a vacant seat.

As long as you can find each other on demand to show the necessary railcard / tickets, I don't see a problem with this. It will probably be easier if you both sit close to the first/standard class boundary so you are not too far apart.

All Line Rover

Established Member
They are travelling together. They are on the same train. The OP will not have a problem with purchasing the desired upgrade. I may have my quibbles with Virgin Trains but they are not Ryanair!

Status
Not open for further replies.