• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin trains west coast WiFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Do Virgin Trains East Coast use satellite links for wifi!?

How many even use 4G? Hull Trains did a campaign shouting about their WiFi using 4G not long ago and it does seem quite good.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hacman

Not sure about EastCoast, though I believe they do.

Last I knew, out of those mentioned above it was Virgin WC, Heathrow Express and some Great Western.

The issue is that many network operators still put a premium on 4G usage, which given the coverage is not commercially viable.

Of course, the other side of these things is that if you make bandwidth available to passengers their devices just chew through it, and the passenger still has a poor perception of the service. This is often not helped by things like updates, cloud storage and so on running in the background on these devices.

It should be noted that in many cases the aim of the wifi is not raw speed, but a better degree of consistency along the journey.

We're still a long way off streaming and other things being fully available, with the exception of onboard media server offerings.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I assume train Wi-Fi is carefully managed, so doing a speed test even if you're the only one on the train won't necessarily get you full speed - as I'd imagine they cap each user.

They must also block some services. I thought some operators restricted video streaming, for example. There's only so much bandwidth to share out.

Some operators still think they can charge extra for 4G, but obviously nobody is on a consumer (or standard business) tariff. EE for example have bespoke tariffs that go up to 1 or 2TB, plus unmanaged plans for broadcasters (so they can get 150-300Mbps, whereas Joe Public are currently capped at 150, and not so long ago 100).

I would love to know how much they're charged per GB, but of course that's commercially sensitive information.

Once EE's 800MHz is switched on early next year, you're going to see a massive change (if you've got the right tariff) in data speeds in rural areas. I believe around 4,500 sites are ready to go live when someone decides to flick the switch.

If anyone wonders why the delay, it's because it will be launched with VoLTE and that has to be working perfectly before EE will unleash it on its many business customers.

That said, if you're on EE and have a mobile broadband only SIM, you can already use 800 in some parts of London unofficially, and in and around Hatfield and Bristol (where EE's HQ is). I believe St Albans is also covered. iPhone users may already be activated without having been told; http://jmcomms.com/2015/12/16/on-ee...l-you-might-just-be-able-to-use-it-right-now/

hacman

To be honest the speed test sites almost always give bad info on such services anyway. Partly due to the capping as you say, but also due to the funky gubbins that exists to aggregate providers and technologies (can't go into too much detail on how this is done as its sensitive).

Sadly companies as you say do have to use business plans, and the unmanaged stuff costs insane amounts. There is also the fact that a train full of people can chew through quite a bit of data in a day even at relatively "low" speeds. Business customers for such services often pay the premium that supports the lower prices on consumer plans.

It's just one of those things. As 4G progresses things will improve, but at the same time the expectation of the passenger will also become more demanding.

The main issue is people compare this to wifi at home - but clearly the logistics of a fibre to the cabinet fixed link and providing connectivity to a metal tube moving at 125mph are slightly different.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I forget which country it is but LTE at 450MHz has given 100% geographic coverage, which is insane! Still reasonable data speeds too.

LTE is far better at low signal than 3G, so as I said above with EE's 800MHz network soon to go live nationally, there should be a major improvement in data on the move next year. Or at least the potential to massively improve it, assuming all the right equipment is in place and is set up correctly.

mrmartin

I did a FoI request regarding this https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/virgin_trains_free_wifi#incoming-963232

Data use has risen so much apparently that they can't do the free wifi in standard class and is just limited to first class (which it always was).

Apparently this has already happened:

• Additional internet capacity on Pendolinos plus failover capability between CCUs on each train
• Greater throughput enabling Virgin to process more internet data simultaneously across all trains
• Improved onboard capacity and performance. Before the work, the maximum performance, shared across the whole train, was c3Mbps. Pendolinos can now achieve up to c90Mbps.

I find this hard to believe, as when I enquired on virgins twitter it said that it was restricted to first class because they couldn't do the lineside upgrades which would improve the train backhaul speed. But the DfT think this work is already done. Plus, the wifi even in first class is still insanely slow and definitely isn't 90mbit/sec.

mbreckers

I did a FoI request regarding this https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/virgin_trains_free_wifi#incoming-963232

Data use has risen so much apparently that they can't do the free wifi in standard class and is just limited to first class (which it always was).

Apparently this has already happened:

• Additional internet capacity on Pendolinos plus failover capability between CCUs on each train
• Greater throughput enabling Virgin to process more internet data simultaneously across all trains
• Improved onboard capacity and performance. Before the work, the maximum performance, shared across the whole train, was c3Mbps. Pendolinos can now achieve up to c90Mbps.

I find this hard to believe, as when I enquired on virgins twitter it said that it was restricted to first class because they couldn't do the lineside upgrades which would improve the train backhaul speed. But the DfT think this work is already done. Plus, the wifi even in first class is still insanely slow and definitely isn't 90mbit/sec.

You forgot to mention that DfT states that they are in talks with VT to further upgrade the WiFi

"In response to this, the Department for Transport (DfT) is working with Virgin Trains to further improve the Wi-Fi, to provide sufficient bandwidth for all to enjoy free Wi-Fi.

These negotiations are at a commercially sensitive stage, but the Secretary of State for Transport will make an announcement on progress in due course."

mrmartin

The omission wasn't intentional - discussions have always been ongoing and at a commercially sensitive stage regarding this since the start of the new franchise every time I've enquired.

That doesn't make any sense though. The hard bit is upgrading the backhaul - you're not really likely to get more than 90mbit/sec and according to the DfT that is done (but as i said, not according to Virgin trains, who are saying that is the reason is they can't do that piece of work until NR have done some lineside equipment). I've done another FoI request to NR to see what they say and see if this story adds up.

HH

Established Member
As far as I know there is fibre optic cables owned by NR the entire length of the WCML. And obviously there's electricity. It literally requires someone building masts every 1-5km along the route. NR are doing this but it won't be until 2018ish, some 6 years after they started it. Not good enough. 800MHz LTE is likely to make this a lot better before then.

You are totally correct. I have had a few goes at trying to get people interested in pushing this, seeing as almost everyone has a 3G/4G phone these days, but they'd rather waste millions on putting crap WiFi on trains.

jon0844

Veteran Member
EE is ramping up the power of its 800MHz 4G sites. There's limited spectrum so speeds won't be stellar, but with a suitable phone or mobile broadband product you should be seeing some good coverage on the move now or by year end.

mrmartin

The problem is this was a franchise commitment and the DfT don't seem to give a damn on timelines or even imo if was feasible.

It's obvious data usage continues to rise. Why promise free WiFi if it can't be done?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Why not just do what Three does for people roaming with its 'free' Feel at Home service. Filter out many services and heavily throttle the speed (but, cleverly, don't restrict speed tests!).

Elecman

Established Member
The NR masts are for GSMR cab radios, the fibre optic cable is for railway telecom and signalling data transmission. I don't think NR will be given a liscence to operate a public telecom service to public mobile phones. You can of course buy yourselves a handheld GSMR phone if you like and use that!!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Why not just do what Three does for people roaming with its 'free' Feel at Home service. Filter out many services and heavily throttle the speed (but, cleverly, don't restrict speed tests!).

I`m with 3 and I have noticed that the `feel at home` service is incredibly variable. I was in Norway and for the most part it was excellent however when I was in Ireland a couple of weeks ago it was shocking kept kicking me off the network at points. I am wondering however if there was another problem there or not.
Sam

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
After travelling with both VTEC and WCML in the last week, I have to say VTEC's WiFi is far superior. I think apart from a couple of deadspots the signal strength and speed was absolutely superb. Best bit about was that it was free seeing as VTEC give out WiFi codes when you book with them directly.

As for WCML, I paid the £5 for the 24 hours access and the speed and connection was absolutely woeful. It kicked me off more times than I was on it. That said, the route itself is notoriously bad for signal at the best of times. My own mobile had no signal at the best of times.

Whatever VTEC have implemented for their WiFi clearly works.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I`m with 3 and I have noticed that the `feel at home` service is incredibly variable. I was in Norway and for the most part it was excellent however when I was in Ireland a couple of weeks ago it was shocking kept kicking me off the network at points. I am wondering however if there was another problem there or not.
Sam

0.1mpbs in Paris and Google Maps didn't work. Useless.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I would have thought that it would have been better in Ireland that it did in Norway as they are using 3 IRL signal, its the same company!
Sam
You'd have thought so! But plenty of examples of this not being the case on other Three networks around the world.

infobleep

Veteran Member
After travelling with both VTEC and WCML in the last week, I have to say VTEC's WiFi is far superior. I think apart from a couple of deadspots the signal strength and speed was absolutely superb. Best bit about was that it was free seeing as VTEC give out WiFi codes when you book with them directly.

As for WCML, I paid the £5 for the 24 hours access and the speed and connection was absolutely woeful. It kicked me off more times than I was on it. That said, the route itself is notoriously bad for signal at the best of times. My own mobile had no signal at the best of times.

Whatever VTEC have implemented for their WiFi clearly works.
Did you ask for your money back? I had to with Cross Country Trains it was so bad.

setdown

For what it's worth, I was using the London Midland free wifi the other week on a 350/2 and it worked great the entire time I was on it for 40 mins or so. Even my phone's WiFi calling worked on it! Made a pleasant change to experiences on virgin and crosscountry. So it can be done! :D

QueensCurve

Established Member
You can of course buy yourselves a handheld GSMR phone if you like and use that!!

Tell me more. Are handsets freely available, where from and how much.

How then does one get a subscription for the system?

QueensCurve

Established Member

In my experience it is usually impossible to get the push-page let alone anything else. I have seen a few people complaining about it to @virgintrains on Twitter.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Did you ask for your money back? I had to with Cross Country Trains it was so bad.

I did with VTWC and they refused, saying I had gone over my 40MB limit so had got throttled.

40 *MB*?

If I had time, I'd take them to Court out of principle - that's not suitable for a laptop for work purposes at all, it should be clearly sold as browsing on a phone only. Not fit for purpose.

I carried on via my EE iPad, which offered a vastly superior service for a far lower price.

Last edited:

boyaloud

Download Virgin Red app, connect your VTWC account to it, and you can get a free code for 24 hours of wifi every day. Never ends.

infobleep

Veteran Member
West Coast only I'm afraid. The East Coast offer is 20% off advances.
If only I knew that when booking advances at work recently.

In addition I booked most of the advances with Split Ticketing Web Site as I like what they try to do. Only later did I realise they offer free WiFi with booked via East Coast and in 3 out of the 4 books, there was no split saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.