• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Virgin-Trains] XC 90 and HST Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just one again today:-

90026 + 82151

1H31 07.18 BHM-Man Pic (09.01)
1G52 10.24 Man Pic-BHM (11.59)
5H00 12+09 BHM-BHM (12+36)
1H00 12.48 BHM-Man Pic (14.18)
1G40 15.24 Man Pic-BHM (17.06)
5H04 17+09 BHM-BHM (17+36)
1H07 17.48 BHM-Man Pic (19.18)
1G80 20.24 Man Pic-BHM (22.04)

There was talk of the diagrams becoming permanent and therefore recieving proper
numbers
in this timetable, but because crews are in links and not everyone signs the DVT
sets this has proved impractical. If the sets run they should stick to the two
diagrams already posted but as before their use is still flexible - hence why
they sometimes swap between the 14.24 ex MP & 15.24 MP. It very often depends on
running on the day.

Also without wishing to set the rumour mill rolling VXC have apparently been
shopping for 'up to three' HST sets recently and Birmingham and Manchester crews
are to receive driver training. Obviously the Summer extras are on the horizon,
but there is also the apparent Voyager engine problems. Make of it what you will
but representives from Volvo engines have been at Muddy Rivers recently so it
seems all options are being looked at..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Keep us informed on VXC HSTs, I'm thinking it may finally be possible to do New Street to Derby on one. The only area I'd need to HST then between Penzance and Edinburgh would be Sheffield to Doncaster/Wakefield.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, please keep updated, as I am making a cross country trip to the south west and would love a HST rather than a Voyager. Currently I am looking at the 07:05 ex-Leeds. Is this going to remain a HST diagram for the forseeable future?

FGWFan said:
The only area I'd need to HST then between Penzance and Edinburgh would be Sheffield to Doncaster/Wakefield.

There are actually a good few MML HSTs that do this route as well as Virgin specials.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes, but that's sleeping with the enemy. MML or VXC? Depending on the route and other circumstances, I'd prefer VXC!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am going to keep a close eye on developements as I want to go on the HST from New Street to Cheltenham and return so I can go up the lickey :)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here some more info of wnxx

I here the pendos are having another round of mods with sanders to be fitted and 1 90 diagram put onto the Birm-London Route from April
Last 2 days a Pendo has run a BHM > MAN for XC...

Also talk of 4 HST sets next week, 2x MML, 1x GNER and 1x FGW Exclamation

Also talk of them doing more milage than just the current MML set is. By sending them to exotic locations like Dundee Shocked

Also along the grap-vine is Porterbrook have been contacted to provide 4 HST's permenantly in XC colours again.

On the driver training front, Bristol drivers "should" be startin a training course next week for all those that don't sign HST's.

Oh and one extra is Cotswold Rails 2nd HST set (still in MML livery) will be going to Laira tomorrow, saturday 7th Jan 2006, for an A exam. Was speakin to there one and only guard today who's and old XC guard from Derby I know Surprised

Sprog

Established Member
matt said:
I am going to keep a close eye on developements as I want to go on the HST from New Street to Cheltenham and return so I can go up the lickey :)

:D :D :D

A man after my own heart :P 8)

Ive yet to do Lickey bank on a HST, so gen on this would be much, much, much appreciated!! :D :!: :!:
Ta!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
matt said:
Also talk of 4 HST sets next week, 2x MML, 1x GNER and 1x FGW Exclamation

Also talk of them doing more milage than just the current MML set is. By sending them to exotic locations like Dundee Shocked

Also along the grap-vine is Porterbrook have been contacted to provide 4 HST's permenantly in XC colours again.

On the driver training front, Bristol drivers "should" be startin a training course next week for all those that don't sign HST's.

Wow, this is very exciting. Does this mean a part return to the old Virgin we once knew? :D

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well it certainly sounds good if its true. We will have to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks

Techniquest

Veteran Member
GNER, MML AND FGW sets to be used? *Faints*

Return of VXC HSTs permanently? *Double faint*

Storming Lickey NB on a HST? *Triple faint*

Dundee on a Voyager? 90 and DVT New Street to London? Hmm, I need H-O New Street to Birmingham International, if this happens at all soon, let us know.

I will be viewing all updates to this thread as a matter of priority. If the HST is running on the 1458 from BTM this week coming, if anyone sees it running for certain, let me know, or if it runs on the other service, as I could do with H-Oing New Street to Derby!

Loco-haulage making a return on VXC/VWC, who could have predicted that? Seriously? 2006 will be a great year!

metrocammel

Sadly I think the latter *wish* of lhcs on VWC is terribly faint, as Virgin seem to be OK :( with their pendos now. Though, on Saturdays the mk2 set is "diagrammed" a Preston to New Street (Brum Intl on event days at the NEC) though it has only ever done this diagram (to New Street) once - so it's pretty unlikely.

As for the Voyager situation, VXC seem to be in a "Branson" (pickle!). They are looking at lots of alternatives to the terribly unreliable Cummins engines, even Volvo alternatives have been speculated. But remember, when Voyagers were in construction there was plans from VXC for them to be supplemented by HST "Challenger" sets (shortened HST sets, that were going to be painted into the "Voyager" livery) in the end the short lived "Challengers", that went to places such as Manchester Airport were withdrawn when the Voyagers came, and that was the end of that. Another good (though unlikely) situation would be the use of 57's (or even better 47's) on mk2 hauled sets like back in the ole' days!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The second XC HST diagram is not starting tommorrow due to platforming issues and unsuitable stock

Jim

Established Member
So, what are the other diagrams then. What HST's are SUPPOSED to run this week?

TIA
Jim

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apparently the Hornby HST could be going on hire to Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.