• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Traveller Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Yeah, Preston to Penrith is £70 exactly.

I'm going Liverpool - Oxenholme (valid via Crewe) and Crewe - Birmingham for £74.10 and £75.00 respectively.

Only got 1 more trip left! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Death

Established Member
Yeah, Preston to Penrith is £70 exactly.
I'm going Liverpool - Oxenholme (valid via Crewe) and Crewe - Birmingham for £74.10 and £75.00 respectively.

Only got 1 more trip left! :D
Let us know how ye get on! By the sounds of earlier posts, it can be a right uphill struggle at the best of times...And I for one wouldn't want to spend over GBP 300,- in FC tickets only to find that I miss out on the benefit because the tickets wern't processed/lost in the post/whatever! :shock:
Indeed...Given the effective value of those FC tickets and what it'd cost to replace them if lost, I'd suggest sending them via Special delivery with cover to the value of GBP 500,- or so. If the RM lose them, then they'd be picking up the tab for the next batch of journeys ye'd need to take! :)

Like I said; I was considering this myself...But what's put me off of it - Aside from the likelihood that if too many people do it, Virgin might withdraw the scheme - Is the fact that I might not be able to make full use of the benefits that I'd be "paying" for in advance.
A weekly jaunt to Glasgow and back would be very nice for me as a WCML high-speed basher...But there'd also be the cost of getting over to Euston and back each weekend to take the journey. That, and in my case it's rather impractical to get the cheap qualifying fares as I live nowhere near Preston. :(

It may be something I'll do in the future though...If I manage to move North as I hope to someday, and get myself in somewhere near the WCML! <D

bnm

Established Member
On a similar note, can I ask what are the T&C's regarding disabled adult travel cards? My wife has a disabled card and has never ever been asked for supporting ID in the many years she has has the card. She is not 'obviously' disabled (she is hard of hearing). I'm just curious really... it's not meant to be a challenging question. The card has no photo and my wife also rarely carries photo ID on her.

If you are referring to the Disabled Persons Railcard, then there is nothing mentioned in the Terms & Conditions regarding a need to carry supporting ID or documentation. I'm unsure as to whether there is any guidance issued to rail staff (I never received any when I worked on the 'gateline') as to whether they can ask for supporting evidence of entitlement. Rail staff contibutors to this forum may know more.

If travel concession fraud really is a major problem (not sure on that one) then a photo upon application makes sense. Currently, of the major Railcards, only the 16-25 and New Deal cards require a photo upon application.

Last edited:

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
To me it's easier and a lot more practical that all railcards should require a photocard!

Death, if you really hellbent on membership, there's nothing saying you have to USE your Preston - Penrith tickets...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
A Credit Card is ID, but not photo ID. If Virgin want photo ID, their terms should say that.

Old Timer

Established Member
A Credit Card is ID, but not photo ID. If Virgin want photo ID, their terms should say that.
JUst out of interest how does it id one ?

For years fraudsters used to copy signatures, and in many cases signatures are just like squiggles. I have seen signatures which do not even correspond to letters that stand out like l or t or y or g.

That said I think that Virgin could be a little more forthcoming in what it would consider to be id.

To me a credit or bank card proves only that you have it in your possession, it does not prove conclusively you are who you claim to be, which is what Virgin are seeking to confirm, that you are the holder of the Traveller Club membership.

In the case of a free rail journey, where the product is consumed immediately, I see no reason why some form of photo id could not be asked for. Remember that this is First Class travellers we are talking about, who will almost without exception drive, and have some form of other photo id, even if just for the Golf Club or the London club.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
JUst out of interest how does it id one ?

For years fraudsters used to copy signatures, and in many cases signatures are just like squiggles. I have seen signatures which do not even correspond to letters that stand out like l or t or y or g.

That said I think that Virgin could be a little more forthcoming in what it would consider to be id.

To me a credit or bank card proves only that you have it in your possession, it does not prove conclusively you are who you claim to be, which is what Virgin are seeking to confirm, that you are the holder of the Traveller Club membership.

In the case of a free rail journey, where the product is consumed immediately, I see no reason why some form of photo id could not be asked for. Remember that this is First Class travellers we are talking about, who will almost without exception drive, and have some form of other photo id, even if just for the Golf Club or the London club.

It's not conclusive proof of who you are - but then is anything? I've used a credit card for ID this last week with no further questions about my identity asked. I travelled first class Leeds - London last week with EC but have no driving license - and even if I did I'd be unlikely to carry it on the train. I would have 3 or 4 bank cards on me. I really don't see why, if only certain forms of ID are accepted these cannot be specified. I understand that companies might want to see photo ID - and if they put it in the terms then everyone knows that.

drinker

Remember that this is First Class travellers we are talking about, who will almost without exception drive, and have some form of other photo id, even if just for the Golf Club or the London club.

I'm sorry but I disagree. My employer reimburses me for my travel expenses and I'm lucky enough for that to include First or Business Class. If I am travelling on the train I have absolutely no reason to carry photo ID. If I was driving then I may carry a driving license, if I was flying I may carry a passport... but on the train my expectation is that I do not need photo ID.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I do not usually take my wallet with me to London as it is very bulky (store cards, membership cards, quite a few credit cards to maximise frequent flyer miles etc :) ) It is quite liberating to leave the whole lot at home and just travel with the card that I will need to pay my travel expenses with. I also have to pack a laptop, power cable, change of clothes and wash bag so keeping things to a minimum is the aim of the game... plus I feel safer not having to worry about carrying my wallet in case I lost it.

I've probably gone into too much detail but I'm just trying to explain my point of view as a genuine traveller and the reasons why we may not always carry a bundle of ID.

This topic clearly shows different opinions on what acceptable ID is expected to be and as the T&C's are vague I think it would be better to either accept credit cards as ID or change the T&C's to clearly request photo ID rather than put the onus on the customer having to 'convince' the TM that they are the Traveller member even when they have a valid credit card(s).

Can I just say that I'm not intending to have a go at the TM's here as I feel it's the T&C's that are at fault. Evidently there does appear to be a level of misuse.

ukrob

Established Member
Remember that this is First Class travellers we are talking about, who will almost without exception drive, and have some form of other photo id, even if just for the Golf Club or the London club.

I'm sorry but I disagree. My employer reimburses me for my travel expenses and I'm lucky enough for that to include First or Business Class.

Quite a strange statement to make OT (which I also disagree with).

I fail to see why you think people who have their tickets paid by expenses automatically don't drive and always have photo ID on them. Quite an elitist (and out-dated) view.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member

I fail to see why you think people who have their tickets paid by expenses automatically don't drive and always have photo ID on them. Quite an elitist (and out-dated) view.

Amen

(stupid 5 letter limit)

Old Timer

Established Member
Old Timer said:

I never said they did not drive, quite the opposite in fact if you care to read my post again.

Assuming you actually mean that First Class passengers do NOT drive, then I fail to see how a statement of what I believe to be a fair comment comes across as elitist ? Are you suggesting the contrary, that First Class travellers are chauffered or taxi-ed to the station ? That is what I would consider an elitist opinion.

My point is based upon my experience of travelling First Class on a regular basis.

The highest proportion of First Class passengers on the services I use are on expenses or have their tickets paid by their Company. Invariably most of these people also benefit from Company Cars or Company Car Allowances. You can see this easily by the number of people heading for the car park machine.

As I interpret your comment, your suggestion is that the majority of First Class passengers do not fall into the category. On what do you base this observation ?

One of the first things that Companies do in times of financial stringency is to cut down on travelling expenses. Thus those who do travel First Class will be at a relatively senior level in a Company. Their remuneration package will be comensurate with that, and pretty much all senior roles in Companies these days end up including a Company car arrangement of one sort or another.

By way of example of how travel is being restricted, one Company I work for has now introduced a policy of no Business Class travel except for Executives. Previously business class was provided for anyone going on long-haul flights with Executives travelling First or business Class. Cost saving options now include sending UK based staff travelling to the US via Switzerland or Germany in some cases in order to take advantage of cheap economy flights.

Another Company has put a complete ban on First Class travel, whereas previously it operated a policy of allowing the open return Standard class fare and allowing you to travel in First if you could obtain such a ticket at a lower price. Obviously they would not reimburse if you were delayed on business and had to excess up because you had missed the nominated train.

As the impact of the economic worsens Company trading, I have no doubt that even those Companies who manage to pass on the costs of travelling First to their customers will at some point have to look at savings in that direction, which can amount to as much as a 50% saving before any element of time restricted tickets are considered.

The Virgin Traveller Club is aimed towards those who travel on a relatively frequent basis, this in itself suggesting either business people, or retired people who are sufficiently well off as to be able to enjoy that.

Virgin go so far as to provide exclusive car parking spaces for the Traveller Club members at stations under their control, so they obviously hold a similar view.

I never said they ALL exclusively drove, however I would put a substantial sum on someone doing an audit in First Class in the working week and finding that what I say is right.

I am happy to defer however to an alternative view from one of the Virgin Train Managers

Last edited:

ukrob

Established Member
I fail to see how a statement of what I believe to be a fair comment comes across as elitist ?

My point is based upon my experience of travelling First Class on a regular basis.

The highest proportion of First Class passengers on the services I use are on expenses or have their tickets paid by their Company. Invariably most of these people also benefit from Company Cars or Company Car Allowances. You can see this easily by the number of people heading for the car park machine.

As I interpret your comment, your suggestion is that the majority of First Class passengers do not fall into the category. On what do you base this observation ?

'Elitist' was probably the wrong word to be fair.

I was commenting on you saying that (full price) First Class travellers "who will almost without exception drive, and have some form of other photo id, even if just for the Golf Club or the London club. "

That is an out-dated view in my opinion.

You can interpret what I say however you wish, but my experiences of travelling First Class each and every week do not tally with yours with people "rushing to car park machines".

I never said they ALL exclusively drove, however I would put a substantial sum on someone doing an audit in First Class in the working week and finding that what I say is right.

Stop moving the goalposts. We are talking about people carrying photo ID, not who has passed a driving test in their life and always carries their license with them on leisure trips at weekends.

Old Timer

Established Member
The comment can be taken with a pinch of salt, lighten up.

I actually dont see I have moved the goalposts. The topic developed into whether people carry photo id with them on a regular basis.

Obviously a number of people here do not, but I suggest that you would be in the minority. My wallet has my photo id card driving licence, simply because it is definitive proof to the Police as to who I am. It also prevents the need for me to go to a Police Station at a later time to prove who I am.

I have various other photo id cards simply because if you are to pick and chose, invariably there will be an occasion when you need one and have not taken it, or have forgotten it.

A quick check amongst a few of the people in the office here has not yet found anyone who does NOT have some form of photo id, including those Travelcard ids', bus passes, Company id, Sentinel, and with some of the guys who are European based, national ID cards, and photo id cards for various Metros/railway systems.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Does my season ticket photocard count as photo ID? It's the only thing I carry with my likeness on it.

On a side note, I believe that the stringent requirements for photo ID were brought in under a smokescreen of delaing with financial fraud mainly in order to make people believe that it would be easier to carry an ID card. By making it compulsory to prove who you are whenever you encounter officialdom, people would decide that it woudl be preferable to get an ID card and carry it at all times. I know, I am too cynical and too paranoid!

In my last job photo Id requirments were introduced a few years ago and led to a great number of complaints from customers who simply saw it as an inconvenience, even though they didn;lt want to be affected by fraud or identity theft!

travel

Hello,
I'm a long time viewer of these Forums and find the information stored on them invaluable, so thanks!
I'm looking at joining the Virgin Traveller Club and after looking at their T&C's it seems that I only have to purchase 8 return (£70) / 16 single (£35) 1st class tickets which in theory means paying £560 for a years free weekend train travel.
I was wondering if anyone here has just bought 8 of the cheapest possible return tickets and sent them in and received their membership without any problems as I would have though Virgin may be a bit wary of people doing that although I can't find anything on their website which says anything to the contrary.
Any help or comments very much appreciated...

Hi i'm unsure as the t&c seem to imply each first advance single must be £70, with 16 needed (so a total of £1120)?

"'Advance First Single' is issued on behalf of Rail Settlement Plan and is valid on the day shown on the ticket and is subject to the National Conditions of Carriage. Such a ticket entitles the customer to sit in First Class accommodation on the train specified for the routing specified on the ticket. For the avoidance of doubt, only those tickets for which you have paid £70 or more qualify to be included as part of the required number for entry into Traveller."

Yet http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/traveller/qualify-for-traveller/
suggests
"You've made 8 First Class return journeys or the equivalent (i.e. 8 return tickets, 16 single tickets or a combination such as 6 returns and 4 singles)..."
and
"The qualifying ticket types are: ...Advance First (Tickets must be worth £70 or more)"
which seems to me that a first advance single (for an outward journey) at say £37 and another first advance single at £33 (returning on same journey) would count as one of the equivalent eight returns needed:?:

Thanks for any help:)

Old Timer

Established Member
...."You've made 8 First Class return journeys or the equivalent (i.e. 8 return tickets, 16 single tickets or a combination such as 6 returns and 4 singles)..."
and
"The qualifying ticket types are: ...Advance First (Tickets must be worth £70 or more)"
which seems to me that a first advance single (for an outward journey) at say £37 and another first advance single at £33 (returning on same journey) would count as one of the equivalent eight returns needed:?:

Thanks for any help:)
You can only have a single or return ticket. Two single tickets does not equate to a return ticket. They remain two singles even if used on the same day.

You need 8 x £70 minimum value RETURN tickets = (£560) OR
16 x £37 minimum value SINGLE tickets = £592.

For combinations a RETURN counts as two singles, or put another way a SINGLE counts as half a RETURN.

So based on the 8 return tickets requirement - two RETURNS and one SINGLE = 2 x 1 + 1 x 1/2 = 2 1/2 of 8

Caculated on the 16 single tickets the same journey would be 2 x 2 + 1 x 1 = 5 of 16

travel

You can only have a single or return ticket. Two single tickets does not equate to a return ticket. They remain two singles even if used on the same day.

You need 8 x £70 minimum value RETURN tickets = (£560) OR
16 x £37 minimum value SINGLE tickets = £592.

For combinations a RETURN counts as two singles, or put another way a SINGLE counts as half a RETURN.

So based on the 8 return tickets requirement - two RETURNS and one SINGLE = 2 x 1 + 1 x 1/2 = 2 1/2 of 8

Caculated on the 16 single tickets the same journey would be 2 x 2 + 1 x 1 = 5 of 16

Thank you:)
so I can count 16 single advance tickets, where each is £35 or more?

Old Timer

Established Member
Thank you:)
so I can count 16 single advance tickets, where each is £35 or more?
Sorry, I have just re-read your post and it has mislead me somewhat.

I took your figures as being correct and at face value but when I checked on the Virgin website, there is absolutely NO dubiety at all.

The website states clearly that the Advanced Single must be a minimum value of £70.

The qualifying ticket types are:

• First Anytime (Return tickets must be worth £100 or more and single tickets £50 or more)
  • Virgin Business (Tickets must be worth £165 or more)
  • Advance First (Tickets must be worth £70 or more)
  • First Class season tickets (3-month season tickets worth £3,010 or more and annual season tickets worth £6,900 or more)
  • Take 10 (Ticket must be a First Anytime Return or Virgin Business and must be worth £614 or more)
The minimum number of tickets you will require is 8 x £100 First Anytime returns or 16 x £50 First Anytime singles = £800

The Advanced First route requires 8 x £70 returns (£560) or 16 x £70 singles (£1120)

The cheapest way is to spend £614 and buy a Take 10 First Anytime Return or Virgin Business ticket.

Sorry about earlier post, I am slightly jet-lagged and temperature sensitive having flown back to the UK from 35c.

travel

no need to apologise, that's what i was confused about:)
Though aren't advanced firsts only available as singles- so there are no advance first returns, rather there are offpeak firsts( which I can't seem to find atm) and first anytime returns.

Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
I'm on my 5th attempt to sign up to the Traveller Club over a period of about 6 months.

First set of tickets went missing, but Virgin acknowledged they received them but hadn't validated them so they couldn't give me membership. I had another batch of 1st class tickets almost at the qualifying number, so didn't push it too much after they refused to give me membership despite them losing them.

Second set of tickets were received, but two of the tickets (thanks to their call centre) had spelt my surname with an incorrect first letter. Traveller sent them back with a refusal letter AND forgot to frank the mail, so I had to pay a couple of quid to get my refusal letter and tickets back :roll:

Spoke to them and they told me to send the tickets back with a covering letter explaining why the name wasn't consistent on the tickets. Did so and got another refusal letter as the tickets were all from within a 3 month window, but they received them 3 months and 2 days after the first ticket, so I was outside of the qualifying period. Spoke to them again and they refused to budge, despite knowing that they were originally submitted in the correct time period.

Fourth set of tickets went to them 5 weeks ago. This time, no joy as these were not received and lost somewhere by Royal Mail.

Fifth set of tickets were sent on Friday by recorded delivery, are all from the last 8 weeks and nothing older than 9 weeks ago. If they don't accept these, I'm heading down to Melksham to deliver the next ones by hand and watch them process them!

I hope it is worth it after all of this. They certainly have done nothing to make it easy joining, that's for sure.

Try a letter directly to Richard Branson - I did when I had problems with Virgin Trains.

A response followed from his PS stating the issue had been passed to the MD of Virgin Trains. Shortly after I received a grovelling letter with agreement to settle the issue and also an offer of two free 1st class tickets to anywhere on the Virgin network from said MD....

Job done!

bnm

Established Member
The Advanced First route requires 8 x £70 returns (£560) or 16 x £70 singles (£1120)

Advance purchase tickets are only available as singles. You cannot buy an Advance return.

travel

Advance purchase tickets are only available as singles. You cannot buy an Advance return.
Yes that's what I meant -and it seems some people joined the club by purchasing first class advance tickets Penrith <--> , each of which being £35

Old Timer

Established Member
Yes that's what I meant -and it seems some people joined the club by purchasing first class advance tickets Penrith <--> , each of which being £35
I guess that is why they now value them at £70.

To be honest its not a big deal, I am a member but have never used the facility to be honest.

It is probably only worth some value if you were to travel every weekend without fail but for most people that is not an option.

bnm
Thanks, the dangers of assumption as ever lurk waiting for the unwary

MKB

The cheapest way is to spend £614 and buy a Take 10 First Anytime Return or Virgin Business ticket.

You would think so, but in fact, there's no such thing as a Take 10 First ticket on the Virgin network that comes anywhere close to that price. The cheapest is about three times that.

The cheapest way is 8 x First Open Returns above £100 each. I just requalified for 8 x £107 = £856.

travel

thanks all,
yes it seems the open return way is best as not sure £35 first advance tickets would work, nor can I find a set of take 10 tickets at that price.
I probably will travel nearly every weekend, and not always to the same location -both due to the nature of my freelance work -so this may be a good alternative to a season ticket, which I do not travel often enough for to make worthwile.

Status
Not open for further replies.