• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Traveller

Status
Not open for further replies.

boink

Hi guys,

Just a (hopefully) quick question. I've recently received a Virgin Traveller membership card in my name and I would like to travel from Scotland to the South of England one weekend and then return a few weekends after.

Now, I understand that you have to book a return ticket for that same weekend but do you actually have to travel back or can I just book another return ticket for a few weekends after and use that to return?

Thanks for any help - it's much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Sadly both journeys must be completed within the same weekend
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/traveller/terms-conditions/#term16

Example :
Southbound Glasgow to Euston on a Friday
Northbound Euston to Glasgow on the following Monday morning before noon

Note, at present, the return journey MUST be completed on or before 08 December 2012

You could consume both complimentary tickets, but purchasing First advance tickets may be more appropriate
You can then use your complimentary tickets for a more suitable weekend trip

Last edited:

boink

Hi rail-britain,

Thanks for replying. Just to confirm: this means I couldn't do Glasgow Central to London Euston one weekend (ignoring the return part) and then book another return ticket from London Euston to Glasgow Central another weekend (also ignoring the return part)?

I don't really mind consuming both weekend tickets.

Thanks again!

Oh and if this isn't possible are they able to check that you have not completed the return part of your journey? -_^

MKB

I've been a Virgin Traveller member since close to its inception. Because of the paucity of Virgin services at Trent Valley stations, I find I often have no choice but to use my free journey in one direction only, (and pay for the journey on a different operator in the other direction).

I've never had any problems doing this. I can't see how on any return ticket -- not just a Traveller one -- you can be forced to take the return.

There's some anecdotal accounts of airlines trying to bill people who fail to take a return, but (a) these are probably circulated by airline staff, and (b) that could not apply to the railways as, as far a I know, single train tickets are never more expensive than the equivalent return ticket, so there's no loss to recover.

calc7

Established Member
(b) that could not apply to the railways as, as far a I know, single train tickets are never more expensive than the equivalent return ticket, so there's no loss to recover.

That could be opening up a can of worms...!

MKB

This is a well-known one: http://www.brfares.com/#fares?orig=LBG&dest=BTN&rlc=

On a weekend,
Cheapest walk-up Single £15.40
Cheapest walk-up Return £10.00

They're not "equivalent" though. You're comparing a Super Off-Peak FCC-only Return with an Off-Peak FCC-only Single. The equivalent Off-Peak Return is 10p dearer. But, you're right that on a weekend or bank holiday, it would be cheaper to buy the return.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.