• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Voyager Single Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chris

Other than the Britannia Bridge across from mainland Wales to Anglesey, is there any other piece of single track line that Virgin Voyagers are booked to traverse in passenger service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I don't believe there is; thinking about it that could well be the only single track on the entire Virgin network.

Edit - I was aware of the layout on the Brittainia Bridge, post corrected to clarify that.

If diversions count there's many more though, parts of the Glasgow & South Western for example.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Is Crewe - Kidsgrove fully doubled?

It isn't, however that isn't a part of the standard VT network, as specified by the OP. If that was the case, there's a lot more single track diversionary routes that VT use.

Ploughman

Established Member
Is the line South of Doncaster round towards Sheffield single for about half a mile?

Do they go to Penzance then the crossing of the Tamar bridge will be single, any other locations down the West of England line?

Welshman

Established Member
I think that parts of the ex CLC Sandbach-Northwich line, including the west-south curve at Northwich, are single-track. Virgin Voyagers are occasionally routed this way when the direct Crewe-Chester line is closed.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Is the line South of Doncaster round towards Sheffield single for about half a mile?

Do they go to Penzance then the crossing of the Tamar bridge will be single, any other locations down the West of England line?

No longer Virgin routes.

Big Chris

I figure that Voyagers traverse several parts of single track as part of the Crosscountry network but I was intruiged about Virgin's. From looking at routing for Pendo's I couldn't find any part of the network that they travel on that is single line in passenger service. Other than the Saturday pendo drag to Holyhead of course.

Liam

Established Member
There is a single lead on the Southernmost junction. The Northernmost chord is single track, but no Virgin services operate over that section. So a tiny stretch of about 50 yards or so.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
It doesn't meet the criteria of regular VT service, but I thought I'd give Ribblehead viaduct a mention. Currently visited by the occasional Super Voyager heading down to Crewe.

fgwrich

Established Member
It doesn't meet the criteria of regular VT service, but I thought I'd give Ribblehead viaduct a mention. Currently visited by the occasional Super Voyager heading down to Crewe.

And again not a regular duty, but the Virgin Blockade Runners do use some single track in and around the london areas - the one i can think of at the moment is in the Acton / Ruislip areas & Leamington to Coventry.

Big Chris

Good shout on the Wrexham service. I was particularly looking at normal regular scheduled passenger service only, many different routes are taken for ECS and for out of the ordinary services when there is disruption so its highly likely that there are cases where single track is used.

Zoe

Established Member
I don't believe there is; thinking about it that could well be the only SLW on the entire Virgin network.
This is not single line working, the bridge only has one track and this is bidirectional.

Last edited:

Bob M

XC will run on single line between Moreton and Dorchester when they run to Weymouth for the Olympics.

Zoe

Established Member
I am aware but as other people have started talking about XC so have I.
Sorry, the comment about Virgin not running the Cross Country services was not intended to be in reference to you only. I quoted you to post the reply about the other two sections of single line in Cornwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.