• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin West Coast to use Class 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humberside

Latest RAIL reports that Virgin West Coast will use a Class 90 with Riveria Mk2's/DVT from December when they take over Birmingham-Edinburgh/Glasgow services from Cross Country

There will still be the stupid situation of Class 221's operating most if not all of the transfered services 'under the wires'. Virgin West Coast will receive 21 Class 221's which will be formed into 4 and 6 formations

I know this wont happen but it would be nice if some new Class 390's were ordered for these services ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Was quoted a 10xx Edinburgh-Brum, 16xx Brum-Edinburgh return a few weeks ago by a Mr37402 i think. Long way off yet, sit back and watch whatever farce develops!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
221s would still be needed for the services that run via Manchester though, and anything that carries on to unelectrified bits of Scotland. Back before Voyagers they were diesel, mostly 47s IIRC, although some HSTs did run up the WCML aswell.

1VWC

Latest RAIL reports that Virgin West Coast will use a Class 90 with Riveria Mk2's/DVT from December when they take over Birmingham-Edinburgh/Glasgow services from Cross Country
I would hazard a guess that it won't be Mk2s, Mr Burns (Belcher) wouldn't be happy about 100mph stock getting in the way of his 125mph Bendy things. I think RAIL may be getting its wires crossed and thinking that the existing XC set may be used.

WB64 (if its not off on Hull travels) is in the frame...

...otherwise the blue and grey Mk3 set from Long Marston would be nice! Note that is my own opinion so don't start rumours...though of course it could happen!

1VWC

221s would still be needed for the services that run via Manchester though, and anything that carries on to unelectrified bits of Scotland. Back before Voyagers they were diesel, mostly 47s IIRC, although some HSTs did run up the WCML aswell.
It is only the Birmingham-Glasgow/Edinburgh via WCML going to VT West Coast. The 390s released from Holyheads will feature along with some pretty extensive diagram recasts, so it will not all be Voyagers under the wires (at the moment!).

Manchester-Glasgow to go to TPX.

Everything else (i.e. Aberdeen/Dundee) will remain with XC and go via the East Coast Main Line. Two (?) services a day will go to Glasgow via the East Coast and be operated by XC.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Not forgetting of course that at least another half dozen class 221 units will be given to VWC for use in North Wales. I suspect that 390s will still run business trains to/from Holyhead otherwise the Welsh MPs would have a field day.

1VWC

Not forgetting of course that at least another half dozen class 221 units will be given to VWC for use in North Wales. I suspect that 390s will still run business trains to/from Holyhead otherwise the Welsh MPs would have a field day.
No, 390s are being removed from the route.

6+4 Voyagers will work with the train splitting at Chester.

Modified kitchens are being retro fitted into the 6-car units (for cooked breakfasts to satisfy the MPs) along with extra FC seats.

The Holyhead units are taken from the 21 (or so) units moving XC>WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.