• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgins Off Peak single, online only

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullin

Hello all,

I've literally hit a wall with this. You can buy an advance ticket and get a return for half the price of a single. But how do I buy such a ticket for when the return leg is the advance ticket?? The 'Via' feature doesn't work on the return leg of the journey, only the outbound so TPE, Virgin and trainline won't sell me the ticket I'm after. London Midland doesn't show the saver half.

I'm looking to travel on the 19th Dec from Parbold to Euston, wanting to travel on any train (YP railcard) so outward the ticket should cost £23.10. Generally travel via Manchester as it has quieter trains.

Returning on the 20th, I want to book the £11.90 advance ticket from Euston at 8pm (via Manchester), but it's this train that doesn't come up in the results.

Is there a site that anyone knows of where it'll work and I can book this ticket??

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
Just a quick note to advise that there's recently (well, nearly a month ago now) been a change to the "easement" permitting Railcard holders to use an Off-Peak Return on any Virgin train. Caught me by surprise when I was trying to do a ticket to Blackpool earlier in the week.

The new wording is as follows:
The Manual said:
Holders of Off-Peak ticket types SVS/SVR which are discounted using a 16-25 Railcard can travel on Virgin Train services at any time, provided that all travel is on Virgin Trains services only. (This easement is not permitted for travel between Milton Keynes Central and London Euston).

Similar updates have been made to the Disabled, Family & Friends, HM Forces, Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card (formerly New Deal Card), Senior and Two Together Railcard pages.

In other words: Manchester - Euston is fine at any time, but Parbold - Euston takes the normal restrictions (i.e. not valid on trains arriving into Euston between 0720 and 1129).

HTH,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.