• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virtual quarries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question, what exactly is a virtual quarry? I've heard of them being at rail yards, and I'm told there's one a Tyne yard. But I thought Tyne yard was just for marshalling and holding trains - is stuff actually loaded at a virtual quarry?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KA4C

It is basically a place where aggregate is bulk delivered and stored for future use, in other words a few piles of old rock in a yard somewhere

Pen Mill

It is basically a place where aggregate is bulk delivered and stored for future use, in other words a few piles of old rock in a yard somewhere
I don't know quite how they are defined but I suspect Eastleigh and possibly Woking come under the banner.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Surely Purley Aggregates Depot is one, on the basis of the fact that it is not a quarry, but stores rather quarry-like materials in very large quantities?

Aictos

Established Member
Peterborough also is home to one as well, it's managed by GBRF.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Surely Purley Aggregates Depot is one, on the basis of the fact that it is not a quarry, but stores rather quarry-like materials in very large quantities?
For clarification, the term virtual quarry is only used in relation to the
storage/stockpiling of railway ballast, rather than general aggregates.

MARK

KA4C

For clarification, the term virtual quarry is only used in relation to the
storage/stockpiling of railway ballast, rather than general aggregates.

MARK

Not true, Exeter Riverside (Hansons) is known as a virtual quarry

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There are loads of massive piles of stones etc as you leave Norwich station, near the shopping complex, is this one?

TP

Freightmaster

Established Member
Not true, Exeter Riverside (Hansons) is known as a virtual quarry
There are a few stone terminals which operate in that way
(other include Sevington and Brierley Hill), which might well
be "known" locally as vitual quarries but, but the term is/was
only officially used for railway ballast stockpiles.

hope this helps,

MARK

KA4C

There are a few stone terminals which operate in that way
(other include Sevington and Brierley Hill), which might well
be "known" locally as vitual quarries but, but the term is/was
only officially used for railway ballast stockpiles.

hope this helps,

MARK

Yeah, in the case of Exeter Riverside Hansons, I can assure you that I do know what it is officially known as .......

Westbury has a virtual quarry, the HOBC at Fairwater yard has been going there to collect ballast ever since Meldon Quarry was mothballed.

KA4C

Westbury has a virtual quarry, the HOBC at Fairwater yard has been going there to collect ballast ever since Meldon Quarry was mothballed.

It does indeed and this is one of those rail ballast stockpiles. Even when Meldon was open, Westbury VQ was topped up from Meldon

Shimbleshanks

Purley isn't a storage area - it's a roadstone plant where they make the material from aggregates and sand brought in by rail and material from local demolition sites brought in by truck. The finished product then goes out by truck.

tsr

Established Member
Purley isn't a storage area - it's a roadstone plant where they make the material from aggregates and sand brought in by rail and material from local demolition sites brought in by truck. The finished product then goes out by truck.

Aha. It's slightly misleading to call it "Purley Aggregates Depot", which is what a few signs refer to it as, when you say it's a manufacturing site - even if it does use aggregate material.

Status
Not open for further replies.