• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virtual TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nath9425

Hi! I am a moderator from BVE LIVE! Here is what you lot need to know!
The Administrator From BVE LIVE said:
Hi all

What I've done is sketch out my ideas. I then went to proboards, as I have figured that, at least for now, the system can be ran on a forum. I have the basic framework up, and I believe it to be a capable system.

I have also made a logging system on my computer, so I believe both sides of this project are at a satisfactory first stage.

Once I obtain permission to name NWM as well as trains from here on the forum, I will be hosting a Beta test period, to ascertain whether this is feasible or not. I will not be starting until permission has been granted on the above point(s).

If you wish to have a look at the preliminary system, please have a look at the forum: http://bvelivenet.proboards67.com/index.cgi?board=driverhelp&action=display&thread=1183625975

Read the thread for an idea of how this will work.
The system can be done with a little prettying-up, but that is not a necessity at this time, and I have to obtain webspace for that first, as photobucket only goes so far

Everyone is welcome to sign up, and please give back as much feedback as you wish.

All is pending! But we need fans and users of BVE 4! :razz: Feel free to join! and Enjoy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

As a few others have said on TSC - it's a flawed idea. It's been tried many times and seemingly worked but failed after about 2 months or so, it's really not worth the hassle.

Bastiaan

At first sight it sounds exiting to join in. I don't want to judge about the opinions of TSC. Well, I will look at it for a period and than give my opinion about it.

Tom B

Established Member
I don't think anyone is trying to belittle it, merely point out that the concept has been tried before.

devon_metro

Established Member
On a positive note it does look very professional. I just have the problem that I don't have the time it run long BVE routes and if I get rostered some traction i despise then I will loose interest. We need a save game plugin!

The Snap

Established Member
I'm not just being negative here, it’s just I was part of a similar system about a year ago. It is great fun at first, but it gets tedious after a while and these things tend o shut down. By all means go ahead with it, but be prepared for it to come to an end after a couple of months.

Just some advice from someone with first hand experience.

Enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

Meanwhile, I have looked at the forum, and it looks very professional. I am sure it will be successful in the short term.

Bastiaan

I'm afraid this system won't last long in any case, with the current way of giving points. Yes, I know that an overrun of about 10 metres is a bit too much, but it shouldn't eat away all your 15 points you earned for your 15-minute run from Blackbrook to Riverside. My interest for this game is dropping very fast when it goes way. Be honest, it has to stay attractive, hasn't it? :)

With the current way of giving points, soon every one will drive long distance runs with few stops only. Then you're sure that you do get points for your run. I proposed a better way of giving points, I've offered my help with that, but the only answer was a n00b's guide for stopping at the right markers, which I didn't ask for!

Just my two cents...

Gavelex

IMO you should only lose points if you have to go back/forward to the stopping point.

Bastiaan

I agree. Or a system where you will get points the more your position is near the right car marker. Perhaps something like:
- You will get 10 points at 0 metres over run, 9 points at 1 m over/under run, Etc.
- 0 points when over/under run is 10 metres.
- You will get minus 1 point when your over run is 11 metres, -2 points at 12 metres, etc, untill -10 points for 20 metres and more.

That will reduce the "pain" a lot, I think.

The amount of points that is given (so not subtracted) should not exclusively depend on how long your run was. Because that makes the game unfair! The chance you will get many points with a non-stop run from Maybank to Hammerwich is much bigger than with an all-stop run from Blackbrook to Riverside.

eifion

Hi. Thicko from Wales here.
I recently joined and cant find were to apply for a job,i.e Employment Board.
Help:oops:

MILEPOST326

I have joined also but.....................!!!!!

Rather wishing I hadn't, doesn’t feel right to me.

I once worked for the greatest TOC of all time and worked at the greatest depot, this VIRTUAL TOC made me feel uncomfortable, uneasy, must be a personal thing I think!

I’ll stick to driving a turn a day on NWM, it feels better to me!

MILEPOST326

David (UD) said:
How does a game make you feel uncomfortable and uneasy!?

Well David (UD) this is how!

BVE Railssim - The Train Driver experience is as near as dam it, near enough to the real thing within a virtual reality environment.

The TOC scenario felt almost, as near as dam it, to the real thing as well!

British Rail……best company to work EVER! FULL! STOP!

Privatized railway means working for a TOC, and I put my money where my mouth was and walked away from the footplate in 1994.

I love driving BVE, it’s like the real thing…Virtual TOC KMA!!!!

No thanks to many sad memories of yesteryear!

Status
Not open for further replies.