• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting Berney Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good evening everybody

I'm currently in trip planning mode for the summer months when my little bike comes out of storage, with a focus on those shacks in Norfolk.

I'm looking at a satellite map of the area around Berney Arms and it seems to suggest there is some sort of dirt track which you can reach the main road after alighting at the station with no road access

https://goo.gl/maps/2YT5YXVdQD22

The question is, is that a public footpath which someone could escape from the wilderness on a short (6 mile!) bike ride to Great Yarmouth? (i.e. reasonable for someone to take a bike down without the risk of running into massive stones?)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is remember when I visited with family when we alighted we had to walk over a field (which happened to be full of cows ath the time) to the pub which was actually open. I seem to remember a sign near the cancel showing the way to Great Yarmouth.
Sam

AJM580

As far as I know there is no access to the main road (A47) via footpaths. The footpath I think you are referring is the Weavers Way foothpath which ends up in Halvergate. From there you have the choice of heading for Reedham or the A47. If you intend to use a bike, I would head for Reedham, as the A47 Acle Straight is a horrible road to ride on.

Gathursty

Established Member
I walked to Berney Arms from Wickhampton church. Initially the track is easy going for the bike for half the distance but then you enter onto the open grasses with cattle a-plenty! The surface underfoot can be waterlogged and marsh in areas, not to mention full of cowpats naturally. Also there are stiles inbetween the fields which may be an issue if you have a bike.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It might be one to do on a Summer Sunday then (as I believe it sees a much better service on Summer Sundays then the rest of the week)

Romilly

Established Member
Is the Berney Arms, the pub, still open for business? It's hard to find out from simply an internet search: in 2015 there was a new (temporary?) landlady for the summer, a rejected planning application for conversion to a dwelling, and listing as an asset of community value (and possibly an appeal against that). And the pub had been up for sale. Also, I found reference to the pub opening only during the summer.

evotista

I visited a couple of years back, and there is a dirt track road that will take you towards great Yarmouth from behind the pub...I'm not sure of it's condition though, because I walked on the grassy footpath that follows Breydon water on a raised embankment all the way back to Great Yarmouth. The road I believe is private property and crosses over the railway at one point...you can see it from several points when walking back towards Great Yarmouth.

Walking wise it took 1 hour 40 mins... and at a push you could even cycle along it..but it's quite uneven in parts even though generally wide. As you get towards Great Yarmouth, the path has been reinforced for the last 1 mile and is fine to cycle on...it brings you out at the Asda right next to the station. ...it's a pleasant enough walk on a nice day in june...but expect the wind to always be whipping by !

AndrewE

Established Member
This website is usually pretty reliable
HTML:
http://whatpub.com/
and shows no (open) pub any more / at the moment. Seems that I've missed my chance.

The Bing maps website is good because you can choose the OS 1:25000 map. It shows bridle paths (legally useable by bike) west-ish to either Wickhampton or Halvergate or SE to the river then along the bank to the (ex-) pub, round the fields and back to Halvergate. I wouldn't be very optimistic at how easily cycle-able they might be though, especially in the light of the earlier comments here. The footpath does go through to Gt Yarmouth if you have the time. It's easier to climb a stile (especially if it's blocked) than get a bike over...

Established Member
Is the Berney Arms, the pub, still open for business? It's hard to find out from simply an internet search: in 2015 there was a new (temporary?) landlady for the summer, a rejected planning application for conversion to a dwelling, and listing as an asset of community value (and possibly an appeal against that). And the pub had been up for sale. Also, I found reference to the pub opening only during the summer.

It was hard to find out by asking the staff behind the bar last year too. Either they didn't know or weren't saying.

Having walked from Berney Arms in both directions along the river I'd suggest the walk to Reedham is preferable, but those cows are rather big!

......If you intend to use a bike, I would head for Reedham, as the A47 Acle Straight is a horrible road to ride on.

Yes I'd echo that sound advice, the A47 Acle Straight should be avoided on a bike at all costs.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've formed a plan for the 13th march, involves a massive fester at berney for 18 minutes ;)

Might even be able to get Buckenham in as well assuming I can make a +3 at Bundall

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounds distinctly unpleasant.

Could be worst, could be an 2 hour+ wait between services (which was why I asked about getting back to Yarmouth).

But ~ 20 minute wait for the same unit to come back is good enough for me, gives me time to explore the area before returning to put my arm out.

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
When I went in Nov 2014 (pub closed, but it's since reopened), a local said it's got a history of being taken on by enthusiastic new owners who then discover that there's not enough passing trade to keep it going.

Most recent reviews on Tripadvisor are late 2015.
Eastern Daily Press article from Aug 2015
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/isolate..._continue_to_pull_pints_this_summer_1_4188301

The OS maps show the "Weaver's Way" route from BA to Halvergate as a bridleway rather than a footpath, and you are officially allowed to cycle a bridleway. Whether it's advisable or not depends on your bike and your inclination. The routes along Breydon Water and to Reedham are shown as footpaths, bikes officially not allowed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.