• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But because everything goes through the TfL back office there aren't usually lots of transactions.

I visited London on Friday, used my contactless card everywhere and have just one charge of £7.50 for the Z1-3 cap.

I was thinking more of several daily cap charges for a tourist stay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnny_beme

Hello everyone

Thanks again for all the help.

Can I purchase a BritRail England Pass when I arrive in country? If so where.

Only asking as people are pricing the pass as being 192 Pounds for 8 days here on the website. Which is about 400 bucks CAD, but when I tried to look online they were charging 660 CAD which means the price would be over 300 pounds, which seems alittle excessive to me.

Cheers and can't wait to see the country.

Shinkansenfan

As a many time BR pass user (lost count, at least 30 times), I've found the pricing better when purchased before arriving in the UK.

Despite the claim by North American based sales agents that the BR pass is not available for sale in the UK, in years past they were.

This should not be confused with the more expensive and more restrictive All Line Pass.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Depending on how long you're staying, and how frequently you're travelling, a BritRail Pass may suit.

From your description so far it may be that the BritRail England Pass is best value. This would cover all your travel between Bedford and London, and travel to York and Salisbury (for Stonehenge) at £192.35 for 8 days or £285.00 for 15 days. Significantly, it doesn't include travel across London, so you'd have to use an Oyster Card or daily Travelcard in addition.

If you're clever or willing to detour, the Britrail Pass could be used on Overground or Thameslink trains to provide a valid route around/across London.

ian959

Can I purchase a BritRail England Pass when I arrive in country? If so where.

Only asking as people are pricing the pass as being 192 Pounds for 8 days here on the website. Which is about 400 bucks CAD, but when I tried to look online they were charging 660 CAD which means the price would be over 300 pounds, which seems alittle excessive to me.

Cheers and can't wait to see the country.

Britrail passes have to be bought overseas prior to arriving in the UK

Shinkansenfan

If you buy a Britrail Pass, including Britrail England passes between now and 18 September 2015 in the US (presumably Canada also), you get 1 extra travel day free of charge.

I can confirm as I just bought a pass and received the extra free day of travel.

johnny_beme

Okay is it to late to buy a pass if I am leaving on Wednesday, as there is no way it can be mailed to me in time?

Thanks

Shinkansenfan

Talking about waiting till the last minute...

Certain agencies can issue the pass on the spot. I can't advise since I don't know where in Canada you are.

Or just order the pass and have it sent overnight to your UK address.

Status
Not open for further replies.