• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vivarail move to Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger B

Their doesn't seem to be a thread for Vivarail's move from Long Marston to Barry. AIUI, Vivarail's operation is being split, with office functions going to a site that isn't rail connected, with rolling stock being moved to Barry. I'd be particularly interested to learn about the plans for and movements of the two prototypes, 230001 & 230002.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Isn't Barry just a test track for Vivarail. Manufacturing is at Southam (or soon will be).

Wyrleybart

Established Member
AIUI The Vivarail operation from Long Marston is moving to a non rail connected place at Southam. Vivarail have an arrangement to use the Barry line as a test track, and there is a site up north, somewhere like Seaham.

I am intrigued by the huge stash of D78 donor cars at Long Marston which I am guessing are still stabled on sidings. Are they staying or moving.

As fo9r 230001 and 002, isn't one of them being shipped to the USA for promotional tours ?

Roger B

Thanks for these responses. From the article SargeNpton posted, it's clear that manufacture, not just office functions are being moved to Southam - thanks for helping set the record straight. Southam isn't railway connected, nor (from what I read) is it intended to be - not saying it's never going to be connected, just that there are no plans / expectations currently. So it still leaves a few questions unanswered - particularly about 230001 & 230002. Where do Vivarail intend to store them, and the many yet to be converted D78 vehicles, and any other rolling stock Vivarail owns? Will it all be moving to Southam (by road)? Do they have space for it at Southam? Is Southam the best place for them, particularly if they're to be used as testbeds for new equipment? Would it not make sense to manufacture components at Southam, and fit them at Barry for testing. Or perhaps Vivarail aren't removing their rolling stock from Long Marston, although the article I read (sorry, I can't find it now) gave the impression that Vivarail were quitting the Long Marston base, and why: I think it was because the owners (St Modwen?) are intending to re-purpose the Long Marston site.

Is there space at Barry to store Vivarail's rolling stock? Looking at Google maps (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...df935939!8m2!3d51.392322!4d-3.273716?hl=en-GB) there doesn't seem to be much room at Cambrian Transport in Barry. Although the former WRD at Barry could possibly be repurposed (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/searc...3964721,-3.284123,239m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-GB) - but I've seen no suggestion of this.

It would also be good to have confirmation about the possible export of 230001 /2 - which one's involved, and when it's intended to be exported.

I've read that 230001 & 230002 are not currently visible from any public vantage point at Long Marston, and I'd love to see them - they're the only items of coaching stock built / converted before 2019 I've not yet seen. So it would be great to understand what plans Vivarail have for the rolling stock they own - including 230001 & 230002. Many thanks

bnsf734

Porterbrook have taken a 15 year lease on the Long Marston site from St Modwen. not sure if this is exclusive accesss and hence why Vivarail are moving out.

D365

Veteran Member
Porterbrook have taken a 15 year lease on the Long Marston site from St Modwen. not sure if this is exclusive accesss and hence why Vivarail are moving out.
One way to find out; if Chrysalis Rail are moving out too.

It would also be good to have confirmation about the possible export of 230001 /2 - which one's involved, and when it's intended to be exported.

I've read that 230001 & 230002 are not currently visible from any public vantage point at Long Marston, and I'd love to see them - they're the only items of coaching stock built / converted before 2019 I've not yet seen. So it would be great to understand what plans Vivarail have for the rolling stock they own - including 230001 & 230002. Many thanks

They’re normally parked up in front of the manufacturing shed, so unless you see one of the two out on test, I’m afraid you won’t see them at all.

Not sure if the export is still going ahead, their focus is very much on developing the hydrogen and fast charge systems now.

Neen Sollars

Barry is Vivarail`s test track, not a storage facility (afaik). Construction and fit out of 230`s and 484`s done at Southam. Wiring looms, bogies, batteries and techie stuff done at Seaham. Limited storage at Southam, D78`s will continue to be stored at Long Marston where there is acres of room. Individual D78 cars moved by low loader from Long Marston to Southam as required. And as there are no new orders not many D78`s will be required to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.