• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voltage rating of cables in used in stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspire_13

Hello everyone, this is a bit of a weird question but I am wondering if someone knows what rated voltage cables does a train station uses?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Hello everyone, this is a bit of a weird question but I am wondering if someone knows what rated voltage cables does a train station uses?
For what use? 'Domestic' supplies (lights, heating, etc.) are standard 230V. Signalling cables passing through could be one of various voltages.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Even in stations, given the age of the UK railway system, there are likely to be oddities.

Don't some London Underground stations still have 600V supplies for escalators etc?

dosxuk

Established Member
How long is a piece of string?

The voltage rating of the cables will be based on what voltage they're intended to carry. I bet there's plenty of 1000V rated stuff and plenty of 50V rated stuff, along with loads in the middle, above and below. It's impossible to answer your question as posed.

Annetts key

Established Member
You do need to specify which cables you are asking about.

There are public address system cables, telephone and computer network cables, 230V cables, 400V three phase cables, (in some stations maybe 11kV distribution electrical supply cables), various signalling cables carriying various functions, from low voltage data link cables, to 650V signalling power distribution cables.

Also the voltages found in the cable may be considerably lower than the rated voltage of the cable...

plugwash

Established Member
The voltage rating of the cables will be based on what voltage they're intended to carry.
Not really, at least not if railway practice is like everywhere else.

Most cables, at least for LV work, have a pair of voltage ratings, one for the maximum voltage between a conductor and ground and one for the maximum voltage between two conductors. Some cable types are available in variants with different voltage ratings.

However not all types of cable are available in all voltage ratings. In my experiance SWA is always 600V/1000V. T&E seems to be 300/500V. Even with cable types like flex where multiple voltage ratings are available, robustness concerns may drive the choice of a higher rated variant.

So the voltage ratings of cables often far exceeds the operating voltage of the circuits those cables are used for.

dosxuk

Established Member
So the voltage ratings of cables often far exceeds the operating voltage of the circuits those cables are used for.

The key word in my message was based. The OP made no mention of what sort of thing was being carried on the cables, 400V supplies will use different rated cables to Ethernet. 100V speaker systems will use different ones to CCTV systems. And so on.
Nowhere does that imply that the voltage carried on a cable is exactly the same as that cable is rated to.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Had to check the OP's previous posts on the forum, don't think they are looking to liberate "unwanted" trackside cabling during the middle of the night! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.