• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Volunteer spray painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM078

Something I've always wondered... anyone else out there who's been involved (or knows of) spray painting by being done by heritage groups? I'm not so much talking about vehicle painting contracted out to mainline facilities/commercial sprayers, but where it's been carried by volunteers?

Not necessarily authentic for woodners etc I know but for steel bodied stock it can give quite a pleasing finish, I've been involved in such undertakings in Ireland but curious to whether it's been/is done on any GB heritage groups?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Something I've always wondered... anyone else out there who's been involved (or knows of) spray painting by being done by heritage groups? I'm not so much talking about vehicle painting contracted out to mainline facilities/commercial sprayers, but where it's been carried by volunteers?

Not necessarily authentic for woodners etc I know but for steel bodied stock it can give quite a pleasing finish, I've been involved in such undertakings in Ireland but curious to whether it's been/is done on any GB heritage groups?
I’m a painter by trade and one of the things that got me into it was volunteering at the Mid Hants in the early 1990s when I got involved in painting carriages at Ropley. It was mainly finishing jobs - like painting gangway doors/wheel tyres/springs etc, because they were a fairly early adopter of spraying carriages in two pack.
They also used the paint on latex solution for covering the windows before spraying, which seemed pretty high tech at the time.
I occasionally spray stuff for work. But it needs a fair bit of practice to get right and quite a bit of prep to get it right.
Getting an environment that’s dust free is quite difficult, I can understand why many rail vehicles are still hand painted.
What sort of stuff have you sprayed over there? Have you got any pictures?

Last edited:

GM078

I’m a painter by trade and one of the things that got me into it was volunteering at the Mid Hants in the early 1990s when I got involved in painting carriages at Ropley. It was mainly finishing jobs like painting gangway doors/wheel tyres/springs etc because they were an early adopter of spraying carriages.
They also used the paint on latex solution for covering the windows before spraying, which seemed pretty high tech at the time.
I occasionally spray stuff for work. But it needs a fair bit of practice to get right.
Getting an environment that’s dust free is quite difficult, I can understand why many rail vehicles are still hand painted.
What sort of stuff have you sprayed over there? Have you got any pictures?

Agreed, it's deffo a skill that takes time! So far I've been involved with the spraying of four Cravens carriage for the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland in Dublin, we did the first one in 2008 and then never looked back. I'll see if I can dig out pics...
More recently I've assisting with one at Downpatrick.

Intrigued by latex... all masking to date has been very tedious cutting and fitting of paper!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Agreed, it's deffo a skill that takes time! So far I've been involved with the spraying of four Cravens carriage for the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland in Dublin, we did the first one in 2008 and then never looked back. I'll see if I can dig out pics...
More recently I've assisting with one at Downpatrick.

Intrigued by latex... all masking to date has been very tedious cutting and fitting of paper!
Yes. I can only imagine how many rolls of masking tape you’d need for a carriage. :lol:
I think it was something like this:

CDAC5384-498C-4690-863A-F597350219ED.png

You can paint it into the corners and run a blade around the edges once you’ve sprayed it and it’s dried. I haven’t used it myself but if I was going to spray lots of windows then I think I’d consider it.
We’re going over to Bangor on Thursday to see the in-laws.
I really want to get a trip to Downpatrick in, but it’s always been too busy for us with family stuff. Maybe this time though.

Belperpete

Established Member
The Ffestiniog did spray painting of carriages at one time. Not sure if it was done by volunteers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.