Vosa website has been replaced...

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by overthewater, 14 Nov 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

2. Baxenden Bank

Baxenden Bank Member

Don't seem to be able to see all bus registrations received / approved across a region, on a specific (or indeed any date) as you used to.

Searching by operator licence number (once you have memorised them) brings up a random list, not in date order, not in type order, not in route order, not in registration number order. Even if you select 'all cancellations' or whatever, they are still in a random order. No facility to flit from one to the next.

Still waiting for last Fridays N&P for West Midlands so don't know if it is still being produced.

An improvement would have been being able to see all details of a registration i.e. the route and timetable details. No such luck.

Perhaps there are some improvements but I haven't found any. :(

Considering how fantastic the Companies House system is, makes one wonder who did this. Should their reputation be severely tarnished or merely unbuffed and in need of some Brasso?

Last edited: 14 Nov 2016
  3. overthewater

I did ask about " seeing all bus registrations received / approved across a region, on a specific (or indeed any date) as you used to."

Im lead to believe the website is still not fully operation, so there claim, I will try again tomorrow, if not I will be complaining. ;)

I cant understand how this is been allowed since control over all aspect of Scottish operations belong to Holyrood, while its all based on Westminster website...

4. Woody38

Woody38 Member

early days there is a link to say what u think, I filled mine in, the thing I don't understand is why they didn't just move the old features to the new website.

5. Sybic26

Sybic26 Member

It appears that the functionality of the previous site has been completely removed.

I tried to look for a bus operator in one town, it now shows both HGV and PSV operators in the same list.

The site is the most user unfriendly one I have come across in recent years.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Established Member

7. overthewater

I can't quote since it would just be a complete Pigs ear ;) there actually webpages.

The first link just tell you where you have to look now. its nothing special
    Second link direct you to the new website dealing with all aspect of Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain: which includes the following:
    • Operator licences
    • Apply for an operator licence
    • Manage your operator licence
    • Find lorry or bus operators
    • Check operator licence applications
    • Run a local bus service
    • Find registered local bus services
    • Traffic commissioner public inquiries
    • Office access and opening times

Plus news, documents and contact details, but its unclear what has happened to the same day bus registration database.

Its been claimed the beta testing/the new website has been running for 6months, I think its a load of hogwash. Personnel if other changes don#t start appearing shortly I would strongly recommend everyone just complain.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2016
  8. freetoview33

freetoview33 Established Member

9. Sybic26

Sybic26 Member

As Overthewater said you can no longer see which new registrations, cancelled or varied registrations have been accepted by the OTCs office on any particular day. You could also search by traffic area or areas. This function is not avail

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Established Member

Thanks, that helps. I'll get a proper look later.

11. oldman

oldman Member

Looks like it has been released prematurely. The search engine itself produces odd results eg limiting to Scotland and Registered:

East has 74 hits
    Coast has 8 hits
    East coast has 21 hits - all of the coasts and a selection of easts.

It should either be a Boolean OR giving east coast = 75 or a Boolean AND giving East coast = 7, this seems to be a Boolean MAYBE.

12. Baxenden Bank

Baxenden Bank Member

Depends who has been doing the Beta testing of course. They may have a specific use / need and simply did not consider the use / needs of others. Best way would have been to shadow exactly how users interacted with the old system and ensure that the new system did the same.

As I mentioned, the Companies House system is fantastic. I have no professional need to use the system but it gives anyone details of directors, all their current and past companies, links between companies, company accounts and other submitted documentation. A gold mine of information.

Perhaps the TC site will get better. As so little information is given on the website about the changes, it is impossible to know what is lost, missing or awaited, so it is reasonable to criticise that a function has been removed. If it is to be replaced 'soon' then they should tell people.

Just confirms my prejudice that the TC are not the brightest buttons on the uniform.

Use of 'terminal points' as a search function shows how little they understand the garbage data that they receive / hold / publish. A useful function potentially, to get a list of all bus routes registered from Hanley. But when you have to enter, separately, Hanley, Hanly (and many other mis-spellings), Hanley Bus Station, City Centre, City Centre Bus Station, City Centre Interchange, Lichfield street, Lidice way and so on, you hopefully get the picture!

Last edited: 15 Nov 2016
  13. freetoview33

freetoview33 Established Member

You can!

14. Marc

Marc Member

helpfull. how??

15. overthewater

So true.....

It seem we need to complain about this new crap system. I would strongly recommend anyone not happy about these changes to email the following:
    EMAIL: Self.service@@otc.gsi.gov.uk

I was told do do this by the people downstairs, Why there can't just import the old system straight onto the new server.

16. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

It seems to have a lot more old (no longer running) registrations than the old system. For instance, this system contains a load of Stevensons of Uttoxeter registrations that I don't think were on the old system.

I've also found it you search for a place Wilmslow it picks up things like Wilmslow Road on registrations but excludes any services operating via Wilmslow. Then even worse if you search for 'Macclesfield bus station' it displays all registrations containing 'Macclesfield' and 'bus station' in either their start or end point e.g. ones saying 'Burnley bus station' are displayed.

17. Astradyne

Astradyne Member

Probably because the old system uses software that is no longer supported.

18. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

If you want to know something scary Microsoft have been telling us for years to stop using IE6 as it's no longer secure. However, most NHS trusts have IT systems built around IE6 so they still rely on IE6 as they can't afford to replace their existing systems.

19. overthewater

yet there cant build an up to date system?

Nasa runs on even older windows :lol:

20. Woody38

Woody38 Member

Tried everything u say freetoview33 but what ever I try it comes up with the same, sorry nothing matches your search.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.