• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voting for our Railway Preservation donation

Which project should the forum support?

• Broadway Station Appeal

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Chinnor and Princes Risborough's D5581 Appeal

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Dean Forest Railway's Griffithstown Project

• Friends of the 502's Steel Appeal

• Great Central Railway's Bridge to the Future Appeal

Votes: 29 16.8%
  • Ivatt Diesel Recreation Society

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • NVR's Night Mail Project

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Poulton and Wyre Railway's Rolling Stock Fund Appeal

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Project Commuter

• Project LYN

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • RPSI's 131 Back on the Mainline Appeal

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Strathspey Railway's Rails to Grantown Appeal

• Swanage TC group

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Swindon Panel Society

Votes: 31 17.9%
  • Unrefurbishment of CEP 7105

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Vale of Berkley Railway

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Yorkshire Wolds Railway's Treble the Track appeal

• 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust's Boiler Appeal

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
As we let everyone know on this thread the Forum Staff are seeking to donate 2 amounts (£1000 and £500) of surplus funds accumulated from operating the forum to a Railway Preservation project to be chosen by the membership.

We've now gathered a list of suggestions and this is your opportunity to select which projects should get the forum's support!

Please vote using the poll above and see below for a list of the projects with links to the projects website (if available) and to the proposers post on the original thread with reasons why you should support the project:

Please think carefully about which project you think the forum should support and vote according using the poll above.

The winners will be the projects with the most votes and will be announced after the poll closes on Sunday 13 December.

The Forum Staff would like to thank everyone who has suggested a project, it has been really interesting to find out about all these projects going on all over the country.

Unfortunately not all the projects suggested were eligible for going into the poll. Please see this post for our reasons for excluding them. Anyone is of course welcome to donate to those deserving projects themselves but they did not meet the criteria we were looking for.

Happy voting!

Please note that you must have more than 5 posts at the time of this post to be eligible to vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Ham

Established Member
You should find a set of options set out as a poll at this top of this page. Select the option you wish to receive the donation and click 'Vote'.

You also have to be logged in to see the options to enable you to vote.

backontrack

Established Member
Made my vote. I feel guilty not voting for Rails to Grantown, but I'm happy with the choice I did make in the end.

Hopefully the £500 donation will go somewhere good too.

lazydragon

Lots of worthy projects on there, really interested in the one I've voted for that I didn't even know existed before today.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've voted, although it's for a project I'm familiar with and really want to see happen. Rails to Grantown was my second choice, I will say that.

Whichever one wins, I daresay it will be a worthwhile one.

bnm

Established Member
What rules are there on new members voting this time round?

Last time such a poll was done the goalposts were moved by the moderation team and some votes were disallowed.

bnm

Established Member
My apologies. I missed that on the 'suggestion' thread.

Perhaps reiterate it here in the 'voting' thread.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Many thanks to everyone who took the time to take part in this poll, I'm pleased to say that turnout was higher than last year. As always it's been interesting to learn more about different projects around the country.

So what you've all been waiting for, the result:

First place (£1000) goes to the Swindon Panel Society

Second place (£500) goes to the Great Central Railway's Bridge to the Future appeal

I'm sure everyone will want to congratulate the successful projects!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Brilliant outcome! I voted for the Swindon Panel Society but it was a close call with the Great Central Railway one!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Many thanks to everyone who took the time to take part in this poll, I'm pleased to say that turnout was higher than last year. As always it's been interesting to learn more about different projects around the country.

So what you've all been waiting for, the result:

First place (£1000) goes to the Swindon Panel Society

Second place (£500) goes to the Great Central Railway's Bridge to the Future appeal

I'm sure everyone will want to congratulate the successful projects!

Swindon?

What good is anything from Swindon of all places?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
What does being in the North or South have anything to do with it? As evidenced here RUK members have voted for the project that they felt deserved it most.

All it is is a box with some lights and switches

Can we have a breakdown of the positions that each option got please?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I feel you have not actually looked into what it is then.

I have indeed looked into it. I looked into all of the options carefully before making a selection - I just feel that the wrong one was voted for. All it is is an oversized box with a tv screen, some buttons and a few lights.

I would like, now the vote is over, to see a breakdown of where each option was ranked in the voting

Established Member
I have indeed looked into it. I looked into all of the options carefully before making a selection - I just feel that the wrong one was voted for. All it is is an oversized box with a tv screen, some buttons and a few lights.

I would like, now the vote is over, to see a breakdown of where each option was ranked in the voting

That is your opinion but clearly not the one of other RUK members.

headshot119

Established Member

I would too be interested to see the breakdown of the votes, but only out of curiosity, I don't think there is any great conspiracy going on.

Swindon Panel Preservation is an important railway preservation project, preserving for future generations a signalling system that revolutionized the Western region of British Railways.

Your lack of knowledge shines greatly when you refer to it as "an oversized box with a tv screen, some buttons and a few lights."

The team are preserving the entire panel, including all the relays, and everything else that goes with it, and are also constructing a bespoke Simsig simulation in order to allow people to "have a go" in a similar way to how Exeter West works.

I wish them great luck with the project, and I hope to visit when it is open to the public.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I would too be interested to see the breakdown of the votes, but only out of curiosity, I don't think there is any great conspiracy going on.

Swindon Panel Preservation is an important railway preservation project, preserving for future generations a signalling system that revolutionized the Western region of British Railways.

Your lack of knowledge shines greatly when you refer to it as "an oversized box with a tv screen, some buttons and a few lights."

The team are preserving the entire panel, including all the relays, and everything else that goes with it, and are also constructing a bespoke Simsig simulation in order to allow people to "have a go" in a similar way to how Exeter West works.

I wish them great luck with the project, and I hope to visit when it is open to the public.

I know very well what it is and what they are preserving, I just do not think it is "revolutionary".

My request to see the voting figures is out of interest also... be interesting to see what ranked where and then put it on a map

Established Member
I know very well what it is and what they are preserving, I just do not think it is "revolutionary".

My request to see the voting figures is out of interest also... be interesting to see what ranked where and then put it on a map

Again that is YOUR opinion but clearly not one that is held by other members. And I fail to see how the North / South thing makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.