voyager 220007 fire eastleigh 28th june

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by bigdelboy, 28 Jun 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdelboy

bigdelboy Member

Curious as to what this was at Eastleigh ... we don't seem to have a thread on it yet AFAIK.

Initally it sounded like a bbq boned 70

... was it a voyager?

Ref: http://http://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/11307463.Fire_crews_tackle_train_blaze_in_Eastleigh/?ref=var_0 (accessed 28jun14:1115)

Please note I have updated title from Diesel fire to Voyager 220007 fire as multiple sources seem to indicate this. Please however realise the unit type was not known for the first posts of this thread.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2014
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 185143

185143 Established Member

Please please please please please please please be a Voyager!

4. westcoaster

westcoaster Established Member

5. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

I may well be missing something obvious here, but who are 'North West Railway' that are 'clearing up' according to the online newspaper report ?

6. cm39275

cm39275 Member

This may answer some questions as to why there was an alteration to the 1E82 28/06/14 06:25 Bournemouth to Newcastle due 12:45 this morning.

This train will be started from Birmingham New Street.

This train will no longer call at Bournemouth, Brockenhurst, Southampton Central, Southampton Airport Parkwy, Winchester, Basingstoke, Reading, Oxford, Banbury and Leamington Spa.

This is due to a problem currently under investigation.

Additional Information:

r/a to overnight issue at Eastleigh depot with set 220007.

7. bigdelboy

bigdelboy Member

LNWR would be relevent .... http://www.lnwr.com/

.... the report seemed to indicate the fire was at the works .... I only looked for this as their appeared to be announcements on the radio earlier ; but that seemed to be due to a breakdown at Southampton airport ... if i recall correctly.

8. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

'The works' is a completely separate location to 'the depot' (ie Eastleigh TRSMD), which is an EWS site overall - with the XC overnight stabling and maintenance being done by DB subsidiary LNWR. If you check on a satellite view there is an area of housing (Campbell Rd) that splits the works and depot sites.

9. Manchester77

Manchester77 Established Member

According to a different site it was 220007 which burnt. Wonder if we'll see some HST substitutions to cover for the fried 220

10. Rich McLean

Rich McLean Established Member

As posted on the other site, Bombardier would have to pay the cost to run the extra set if they can't provide the correct amount of voyagers for any given day, so that may not happen

11. route:oxford

route:oxford On Moderation

Is that so, via the insurers, the original manufacturer may be forced to build a replacement unit?

This would open up the opportunity to build some trailer units for the Voyager fleet...

12. High Dyke

High Dyke Established Member

Not so much luck... However according to a source of mine in NR vehicle 60207, of 220007, caught fire in Eastleigh Depot. No further update known.

I suppose it depends how much damage was caused and if any of the rest of the vehicles were affected enough to be put out of operation. Or whether the unit could be shortformed?

13. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

Caused by a fuel leak I have heard. And no it can't be short formed

14. bigdelboy

bigdelboy Member

15. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

It looks like in any case it was definanly a Voyager:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11307407.Fire_crews_tackle_blaze_on_train/

16. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

It was definitely 220007

17. Tim R-T-C

Tim R-T-C Established Member

What percentage of the voyager fleet is in use on any given day?

When do we start the 55 + rake of Mk2 rumours?

18. talltim

talltim Established Member

They've got 5 HSTs that they try not to use

19. Tim R-T-C

Tim R-T-C Established Member

Aside from the 4 diagrammed for daily Leeds to Plymouth workings?

They are out pretty much all day and need to return to NH so can't see how much more they could use them.

20. alex17595

alex17595 Member

Im sure this has come up many times before and the conclusion is the HSTs do not have short link bogies and can't operate in third rail areas. (correct me if im wrong.)

21. TEW

TEW Established Member

XC only diagram 2 HSTs for use most weekdays, slightly more on Mondays and Fridays and at Weekends.

22. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Why would it need to go anywhere near third-rail land? If an HST is stepped up to cover it will take over a NE-SW service to displace a Voyager that can be diagrammed as necessary (and can go to third-rail land).

Though as we're moving into Summer aren't they increasingly utilised? Even if not as you say they would still need something extra to cover the weekends when the HSTs are heavily used.

23. TEW

TEW Established Member

They're more heavily utilised at Weekends than over the Winter but the Weekdays usage stays the same all year round.

24. alex17595

alex17595 Member

I never thought of it that way.
    Would it keep up with a voyager diagram acceleration ease?

25. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

No....

26. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hmm this is true! I guess that makes the options thrash the remaining fleet to cover, borrow a Voyager from VT, accept that there is going to be a persistently late HST covering a Voyager diagram or cancel/amend diagrams everyday.

Though this assumes that 220007 will be out for some time.

27. TEW

TEW Established Member

There are 4 diagrams a day which are time for HSTs on Mondays-Fridays, but normally only 2 are ran by HSTs. Either of the other 2 can be covered by an HST and keep to time.

28. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

I've read that a few times and I'm still confused. If all 4 are timed as a HST then they are bound to keep to time?

29. TEW

TEW Established Member

There's 4 diagrams on Weekdays which are timed for HSTs. (4 up services and 4 down services.) However only 2 of them are covered by HSTs normally. So if you needed to use extra HSTs for whatever reason they can just run the other 2 diagrams, which aren't normally HSTs, but are timed for HSTs, and they should keep to time.

30. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

By the sounds of the damage reported I reckon at least one driving car on 007 will be out of use for some time. As for borrowing a voyager, do VT have any spare at the moment? Doubt they would be able to make use of one of VTs spare Voyager cars either given the spares are from a 221 - Can 221 cars work with 220s? (Not Can 221s work with 220s, that is a yes. I'm thinking in the same vein of 165s/166 hybrids which have existed in the past).

But Bombardier should have some knowledge of fire damage repairs to the fleet as a few of the mechanically similar Meridians have suffered similar fates over recent years.

Which HSTs are we referring to though, XCs or HSTs in general? XC do have a fair few SSL Mk3s, so if they did decide to use a HST set on the southern section of the XC Network I'm sure it's not difficult to do what FGW has done in the past and cobble together all the SSL and LSL Mk3s into individual matching HST rakes. As proven by FGW in the recent HST diverts into Waterloo and East Midlands Trains / South West Trains HST working the recent Sheffield to Swanage railtour.

31. cjmillsnun

cjmillsnun Established Member

Ahh but it depends what is damaged and what is common.

The body for example would be fine, and I suspect the fuel tank would fit. If (and this is the big if) the wiring is compatable, and there are suitable 220 bogies available, could one of the 2 spare 221 driving cars be made into a 220 driving car?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.