• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager and DRS through Preston today

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
At about 4ish today at Preston I noticed a 2 coach Voyager hauled by a DRS Loco heading north towards Lancaster, does anyone know what this was?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

221144 by sounds of it. The 3 middle coaches were used to make Virgin units 141-143 all 5-cars, while the driving vehicles are now spare. The unit has a compressor fitted in one of the luggage area's so it can move around Central Rivers under its own power, but on the mainline has to be hauled for some reason.

Last edited:

Katketty

Got this information from the guys over at Railcam.

DRS 57308 dragging Virgin Voyager 221144 - 5Z21 Barton Under Needwood Rsmd to Polmadie Car M.D.

fgwrich

Established Member
Got this information from the guys over at Railcam.

DRS 57308 dragging Virgin Voyager 221144 - 5Z21 Barton Under Needwood Rsmd to Polmadie Car M.D.

No doubt on their way to Polmadie for refurbishment then. The plan seems to be to refurbish these two and use them as serviceable spares, in case a Voyager driving unit has to be switched out for any reason.

class57basher

221144 by sounds of it. The 3 middle coaches were used to make Virgin units 141-143 all 5-car's, while the driving vehicles are now spare. The unit has a compressor fitted in one of the luggage area's so it can move around Central Rivers under its own power, but on the mainline has to be hauled for some reason.

A couple of photos here I took of it at Central Rivers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peteryoungrailwayphotos/5836789323/in/set-72157640502469665

I had it dragged round there by 57302 and the 08 as part of the PLEG event there a few years ago.

Luckily had it for haulage as a 4 car and a 2 car unit as the last run of the day they started the compressor up and ran it through the shed under its own power. I was in the unit with compressor which was as loud as anything. The unit has to be dragged on the NR network as I am sure its safe max speed is something like 10mph. Normally it can be seen at Crewe as a static training unit for crew training and famillirisation. VT seem to like this as 390033 or the remains of in the car park behind their training acadamy

photo link here http://www.flickr.com/photos/peteryoungrailwayphotos/5685358678/in/set-72157640827192784

So assume it could be going to Polmadie for staff training there

SprinterMan

Established Member
221144 may only be 2 carriages, but this being out of use actually annoys me as much as the 317/7s being out of service. Couldn't VT give it to XC so it could reform 2 5 car voyagers into 3 4 car voyagers or something like that?

Adam :D

najaB

Veteran Member
Couldn't VT give it to XC so it could reform 2 5 car voyagers into 3 4 car voyagers or something like that?
Is it Virgin's to give though? Sub-leasing can get very complicated very quickly! And would XC actually benefit from having two shorter trains as opposed to one longer one?

ECML180

I can see how a 2 car voyager could find a use, although I won't wade in to subleasing and main line certification etc! A Sheffield - Doncaster/Wakefield - York shuttle by cross country for example would probably be quite busy, often seems to be a lot of passengers over this stretch.

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
Yes, but isn't only 50% of it going to be standard class? I suppose you could declassify the first class section, but there's still only going to be (by my count, in its current configuration) 68 seats. Don't forget both cars have a galley/cycle store and a disabled loo.

SeanG

I was in the unit with compressor which was as loud as anything. The unit has to be dragged on the NR network as I am sure its safe max speed is something like 10mph.

That's why it isn't in use.

Surely its useful as it is if its being used for spares/training

westcoaster

Established Member
At about 4ish today at Preston I noticed a 2 coach Voyager hauled by a DRS Loco heading north towards Lancaster, does anyone know what this was?

could this 2 car unit not be coupled to an out and back diagram to central rivers giving a 6/7 car train. Saves them sitting about all day.also is there a cross main res between units so no compressor needed.

Jones

Shame it can't run on it's own. Jeremy Clarkson is desperate for a sport's train.

:D

Most exclusive DMU tho'.

Katketty

Saw it today sitting in Polmadie as I was travelling down to Carlisle on a Pendolino. Caught a wee video on my phone that I have uploaded raw to YouTube. Quality isn't great but it can be found here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.