• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager at Helsby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sat at Helsby tonight at about 1745 and what looked like a Voyager passed by heading towards Warrington. It had no TOC livery, just a pleasant red and grey/black paint job and Bombardier emblazoned down the side. There were people on board and the train did not stop. Was it a diversion due to weather does anyone know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
The Chester to Crewe line has been blocked by a landslide at Christleton tunnel.
Some Virgin Chester-London services have been diverted via Middlewich, but this sounds like it could have been the 1735 Chester-Euston diverted via Warrington Bank Quay.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Chester - Crewe is closed due to flooding, sounds like the London - Chester service is reversing at Warrington and running via Helsby.

You saw 221115: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6091/6878302728_1a953bc321_z.jpg

Virgin have put on shuttles today Chester-Warrington to connect with Glasgow-Euston trains, additional to the ATW Manchester services.
I think there were two Voyagers involved as they both departed nn35 at each end.
The normal Euston-Chester Voyagers were reversing at Crewe.

Something I've been wondering about is if they can reverse trains in Warrington BQ from the south, and I think the answer is no.
From the signalling diagrams they seem to have to go up to Dallam to cross over and come back.
No doubt an expert will know.
From the north they can reverse in P1 (the Liverpool service does it regularly, sometimes going as far as Winwick Jn wrong line to cross back).

Welshman

Established Member
deleted
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Something I've been wondering about is if they can reverse trains in Warrington BQ from the south, and I think the answer is no.
From the signalling diagrams they seem to have to go up to Dallam to cross over and come back.
No doubt an expert will know.
From the north they can reverse in P1 (the Liverpool service does it regularly, sometimes going as far as Winwick Jn wrong line to cross back).

Ah - I didn't realise there might be a problem with trying to reverse a Chester-Euston service at Warrington Bank Quay.

Later edit: However, I've just noticed that, for what it's worth, the LDBs are showing the 1710 Euston-Holyhead being 12 mins late at Crewe and 60 Minutes late at Chester, and going via Warrington.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
deleted
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Ah - I didn't realise there might be a problem with trying to reverse a Chester-Euston service at Warrington Bank Quay.

Later edit: However, I've just noticed that, for what it's worth, the LDBs are showing the 1710 Euston-Holyhead being 12 mins late at Crewe and 60 Minutes late at Chester, and going via Warrington.

Yes, you are right.
Be interesting to hear from a passenger where they reversed.
There are crossovers at Warrington of course, but from P3/4 to the Up direction I think the signals are ground-type lights for non-passenger moves.
Unless there's some route into P1 from the south I haven't spotted...

PS NRES also says there are no Virgin trains between Chester and Holyhead!
Also the Crewe line will be closed tomorrow and the Warrington shuttle running again.

PPS All seems to be working normally today - no diversions.
I'm surprised Chester-Crewe is working after seeing the pictures yesterday.
Well done to NR.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....There are crossovers at Warrington of course, but from P3/4 to the Up direction I think the signals are ground-type lights for non-passenger moves....

A passenger train can use shunt signals if permission is gained from the Signaller (or a person acting on the Signaller's instructions).

I have seen in the recent past, when there was bad weather further north earlier this year both Voyagers and Pendolinos reverse out of Platform 3 and head south, it does happen.

Tracky

The ATW Warrington turnbacks on midweek evenings shunt via Dallam. Trains carrying passengers are not permitted to leave Warrington south on position lights.

The up slow is bi-directional to Winwick, the original reason being for Northbound trains using the Royal Mail terminal.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The ATW Warrington turnbacks on midweek evenings shunt via Dallam. Trains carrying passengers are not permitted to leave Warrington south on position lights.
The up slow is bi-directional to Winwick, the original reason being for Northbound trains using the Royal Mail terminal.

That's what I thought.
It must need special authority to use the ground signals.
You would think a place like Warrington would have better turnback facilites, in the absence of bay platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.