• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager hauling Pendolino / TMS set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Mod - split from this thread.

It’s the other way around on their caption though, ie a 9 car 800 hauling a 5 car 801?

I don't know if there are any pics, but a Voyager can haul a Pendolino and it has been done in testing. To allow for this (in emergency, not in service) is the reason Voyagers have an Alstom rather than Bombardier TMS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
I don't know if there are any pics, but a Voyager can haul a Pendolino and it has been done in testing. To allow for this (in emergency, not in service) is the reason Voyagers have an Alstom rather than Bombardier TMS.

One wonders if it was worth the bother, how many times has it ever come in useful?

SansHache

Voyagers are fitted with Bombardier TMS not Alstom. The Traction equipment on Voyagers (and Meridians) was supplied by Alstom but this does not include the TMS.
If a Voyager hauls a Pendolino (or vice versa) there are no electrical connections between the two. There is mechanical and pneumatic coupling with the brakes on the trailing unit controlled via the brake pipe.
I don't think this type of rescue has ever actually been performed on service trains. Pendolinos can normally keep going in most failure modes as long as the OLE is still live. When there is an overhead line incident the emphasis now seems to be on performing a train-to-train evacuation to clear the passengers if there are any Voyagers in the area.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Are you certain? This is almost always quoted as the reason why Voyagers and Meridians won't talk.

@SansHache is correct, Class 221 TMS is Bombardiers and not Alstom, and it's like working with Windows 3 as compared to a Class 390 which is more like Windows 98, that's my working opinion. So probably totally different software to a Class 222 and incompatible.

The reason the rescue arrangement would very rarely if ever be used would be down to the time and amount of equipment isolation that would be needed between the two units and if anything missed out, then the sets wouldn't be able to move anyway.

The Class 57 was the best option but far from perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

anamyd

On Moderation
@SansHache is correct, Class 221 TMS is Bombardiers and not Alstom, and it's like working with Windows 3 as compared to a Class 390 which is more like Windows 98, that's my working opinion. So probably totally different software to a Class 222 and incompatible.

The reason the rescue arrangement would very rarely if ever be used would be down to the time and amount of equipment isolation that would be needed between the two units and if anything missed out, then the sets wouldn't be able to move anyway.

The Class 57 was the best option but far from perfect.
The Voyager TMS runs on Windows CE. It's the Electrostar TMS that originally ran on "Windows 3.1" (actually Windows NT 3.51), though some classes have been "updated" to a Windows version more in line with what you claim Alstom use ("98" but I would've thought something more stable like NT4 or 2000)

Geezertronic

Established Member
The Voyager TMS runs on Windows CE. It's the Electrostar TMS that originally ran on "Windows 3.1" (actually Windows NT 3.51), though some classes have been "updated" to a Windows version more in line with what you claim Alstom use ("98" but I would've thought something more stable like NT4 or 2000)

ffs, cutting edge OS's :D

The TMS display is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the actual TMS. The display itself might run on windows but the entire system won't.

aleggatta

Electrostars (and I imagine other trains) run on 'Windows Embedded'. essentially a very stripped down version of windows with all the security features up to the latest version of windows at the time of publishing/updating, but with graphics and other features of a more basic version of windows (the same sort of thing that runs cash machines and some point of sale software). Basic, but does what it needs to do reliably. The latest update on an Electrostar TMS will have happened in the last 18 months, so I would be quite surprised if other trains had not had software updates in the last couple of years.

anamyd

On Moderation
Electrostars (and I imagine other trains) run on 'Windows Embedded'. essentially a very stripped down version of windows with all the security features up to the latest version of windows at the time of publishing/updating, but with graphics and other features of a more basic version of windows (the same sort of thing that runs cash machines and some point of sale software). Basic, but does what it needs to do reliably. The latest update on an Electrostar TMS will have happened in the last 18 months, so I would be quite surprised if other trains had not had software updates in the last couple of years.
yes Embedded of course :) I heard that Bombardier moved to Linux for the TMS (or TMS display?) OS starting with the 379s

anamyd

On Moderation
The TMS display is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the actual TMS. The display itself might run on windows but the entire system won't.
fair point, good to be aware of that!

aleggatta

yes Embedded of course :) I heard that Bombardier moved to Linux for the TMS (or TMS display?) OS starting with the 379s
That's one thing I can't confirm or deny, as I never unpacked the Mitrac interface software. I can tell you that its an exe that runs every time, and that it interfaces with the train on a serial connection, but never interrogated the software any more than that. The software on 377's is the same as that on 387's (and I would assume by extension 379's) so I can't see them leaving out the 375/6/8's

Roast Veg

Established Member
That's one thing I can't confirm or deny, as I never unpacked the Mitrac interface software. I can tell you that its an exe that runs every time, and that it interfaces with the train on a serial connection, but never interrogated the software any more than that. The software on 377's is the same as that on 387's (and I would assume by extension 379's) so I can't see them leaving out the 375/6/8's
I am led to believe by other posters that the Linux OS is fitted to all Electrostars post 2010, so the 379s, 377/6s, 377/7s, and 387s. This causes slightly different PIS behaviour on SN when older and newer units are run in multiple.

driver_m

Established Member
Crikey the voyager is proper thrashing away! Assume there has never been an actual rescue by a voyager to date?

Yes. There’s was one in Scotland recently.

I don’t know why Bletchleyite keeps mentioning Alstom TMS as I’ve previously said that the two TMS systems are completely incompatible

aleggatta

I am led to believe by other posters that the Linux OS is fitted to all Electrostars post 2010, so the 379s, 377/6s, 377/7s, and 387s. This causes slightly different PIS behaviour on SN when older and newer units are run in multiple.
If that is the case, it would appear to be a virtual Linux machine running inside a windows embedded container. With regards to PIS behaviour, I'm unaware of any major differences with exception to the hardware upgrades on the later versions enabling two lines on the desti displays at each end of the unit, other than that, there is no real difference with new hardware now being fitted to older units as maintenance spares

O L Leigh

Established Member
Are you certain? This is almost always quoted as the reason why Voyagers and Meridians won't talk.

It is not uncommon for units with different release versions of the same TMS to be segregated, even within the same class of train. This commonly happened with Cl379s for the first couple of years. The reason for doing so is because it is often not known what may happen when units with different TMS versions are coupled. There could be inconsistencies in operation that could cause all manner of interesting and unwanted side-effects, especially to systems such as doors.

I don’t imagine that there is a huge difference between the Voyager and Meridian TMS systems as they are essentially the same train. However, they do have divergent features, such as the SDO, which could make coupling them operationally undesirable. Over time the respective TMS systems could have diverged even more as updates and fixes were applied to each fleet.

My own personal feeling is that this whole belief that Voyagers must have an Alsthom-compatible TMS has come solely from this one video and the mistaken belief that what it shows is a Voyager and a Pendolino working in multiple. What it actually shows is a test of the “rescue and recovery” procedure which, as has been described above, does not require any electrical connection between units, only a mechanical and air connection. From a technical and operational standpoint, what you’re seeing here is a loco and LHCS, with the Voyager working as the loco and the Pendolino as the LHCS.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Yes. There’s was one in Scotland recently.
390127 dragged by a 5 car Voyager from Law Junction to Polmadie at 20mph on 9th February this year. Virgin Control told me it was the first time it had been done for real rather than for test purposes. From what I remember there were 47(?) isolating cocks to be operated on the Pendo before the air would start to build up and then it took around an hour for the Voyager to fully charge the main reservoir to allow the train to move safely.

driver_m

Established Member
390127 dragged by a 5 car Voyager from Law Junction to Polmadie at 20mph on 9th February this year. Virgin Control told me it was the first time it had been done for real rather than for test purposes. From what I remember there were 47(?) isolating cocks to be operated on the Pendo before the air would start to build up and then it took around an hour for the Voyager to fully charge the main reservoir to allow the train to move safely.

For the benefit of those not at VT on here, Let’s just say that we had a refresher on it fairly recently in light of how much messing about has to actually happen. Needless to say, it is very much a last resort if a side by side rescue can’t be done, or a stagger to a suitable point can’t be done, and a 57 or same unit unavailable to rescue. My Depot doesn’t sign Scotland so I couldn’t say what the location is exactly like, but I believe there were OLE issues and the train was effectively boxed in and dead.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Indeed it had been abandoned overnight after the wires came down and was completely electrically dead when it was rescued.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The contemporary class 175 used Windows 2000 Embedded for their TMS.

(I saw a photo of a 175's bootscreen well over a decade ago, I forget where. Possibly nwrail.org.uk?)

anamyd

On Moderation
The contemporary class 175 used Windows 2000 Embedded for their TMS.

(I saw a photo of a 175's bootscreen well over a decade ago, I forget where. Possibly nwrail.org.uk?)
Aha! Thanks very much for that! I wonder if the earlier (1999) built 175s initially ran NT4.0 on their TMSs, seeing as 2K wasn't even released to manufacturing until 15/12/99.

Status
Not open for further replies.