• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager on olympic test to WEYMOUTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike99

Hi,

This mornings 1O02 06.04 Birmingham New Street to Bournemouth is formed of 220003 and 220027 and will continue (220003) to weymouth presumably as route learning ready for the Olympic extensions, 220027 will form the 09.45 Bournemouth to Manchester Piccadilly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I find that apparently according to Nat Rail Eng, both the 06:04 Birm NS and 05:11 Man Picc are. I expect a four car Voyager would be plenty for all those who'd want to flock to the Olympic Sailing Events.

probably a 153 would be enough.

calc7

Established Member
Which service is losing a unit to prop up this farce?

CC 72100

Established Member
If extra voyagers are being used to strengthen South Coast and provide Weymouth services over the olympics, then XC may use another HST set on weekday North East - South West - North East diagrams to free up this extra voyager. An extra HST was used to free up a voyager for Cheltenham race specials.

Pumbaa

Established Member
proberbly none, theres a zero maintenance rule in place for the whole farce.

There's a shared power-car agreement between East Coast and XC for these workings, which will *hopefully* allow constant HST operation for XC, which releases 1 Voyager. The spare set stabled at New St will, err, not be spare is the 2nd Voyager in use for these workings.

All with faff and flitting about of spare sets in between. :|

Failed Unit

Established Member

I am glad I am not the one that worked out the maintenance schedules to avoid exams during the period. I am sure a little gremlin is hiding somewhere to cause choas - that is if they can get it away from the ECML.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I find that apparently according to Nat Rail Eng, both the 06:04 Birm NS and 05:11 Man Picc are. I expect a four car Voyager would be plenty for all those who'd want to flock to the Olympic Sailing Events.

Despite severe misgivings about what you actually get for your £55 among many sailors (including myself), as far asIi know they've sold out pretty much every day in the 4500 capacity ticketed viewing area, with expectations of a more in town. And any sailor that's been to events based at portland or Castle Cove is well aware of the issues with actually driving into Weymouth.

calc7

Established Member
Don't think the Sailing Enthusiasts amongst us will think it's a farce or are you referring to the operation of a train service.

I am referring to the operation of the additional train service; though, as YorkshireBear says, my enthusiasm for the Olympics themselves is no more than neutral.

My point is that a Voyager will be taken off one of the busiest routes in the country to run it on a token service to Weymouth - hardly the most salubrious destination. Whether or not the replacement HST materialises will determine the extent of the aforementioned farce.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Depends how you define maintenance. Trains will still get their overnight exams surely?

What they will have done is organised a break in periodic exams, by advancing or defering work on certain units. Or having a break in any modification programmes, refurbs etc - but to describe that has a 'zero maintenance' is a bit extreme.

It is the same with NR. They aren't doing any disruptive work, but normal inspections will carry on surely?

Clip

Established Member
Depends how you define maintenance. Trains will still get their overnight exams surely?

What they will have done is organised a break in periodic exams, by advancing or defering work on certain units. Or having a break in any modification programmes, refurbs etc - but to describe that has a 'zero maintenance' is a bit extreme.

It is the same with NR. They aren't doing any disruptive work, but normal inspections will carry on surely?

They are probably trying to get through the bigger exams beforehand with extra staff hired for this. The smaller less intrusive exams will still more than likely go ahead as usual. I know certain other Olympic operators who are doing just this. And the smaller exams generally dont touch much apart from some interior fittings and the like.

Ive not seen the timetable for the use of this Voyager but is it really that big a deal extending it for one service per day for 2 weeks? I pretty much doubt it.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I am referring to the operation of the additional train service; though, as YorkshireBear says, my enthusiasm for the Olympics themselves is no more than neutral.

My point is that a Voyager will be taken off one of the busiest routes in the country to run it on a token service to Weymouth - hardly the most salubrious destination. Whether or not the replacement HST materialises will determine the extent of the aforementioned farce.

Systems have been put in place to ensure that no voyager is taken off normal duty so while i would agree if a voyager was being taken away, its not a valid point in this case.
Short term agreement to get maximum fleet useage, seems like forward thinking to me.

Schnellzug

Established Member
* well, I must say 221137 flew up Upwey bank. Must be the quickest i've ever known anything go up. Rather fun; about a dozen staff and 3 passengers. All the staff were taking photos and everything, it looked like quite a day out.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

My point is that a Voyager will be taken off one of the busiest routes in the country to run it on a token service to Weymouth - hardly the most salubrious destination. .

At least it's not Southen- Weston-super- er, insert name of favourite seaside resort of your choice :oops:

Last edited:

Schnellzug

Established Member
Here's a couple of 221137 at Weymouth; 158883 was also there as well, perhaps on familiarisation as well.

Attachments

• 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 107

TEW

Established Member
These weren't route learning, today was a test for the Olympic timetable at Weymouth. FGW ran their additional services too, it was to check if the timetable worked in practice or not.

6Gman

Established Member

I think you might be surprised how many people travel to see the sailing! I will concede that to the uninitiated it looks as exciting as paint drying but there you are.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think you might be surprised how many people travel to see the sailing! I will concede that to the uninitiated it looks as exciting as paint drying but there you are.

I'm sure that some people will travel to Weymouth for the sailing, whether they are true sailing fans or not, but I wonder how many people will stay away because of what is taking place?

Squaddie

You'd have thought that trainspotters would be a little less dismissive of other people's hobbies and interests. :lol:

Eagle

Established Member
I am referring to the operation of the additional train service...

Technically it's not really operating an additional service to that in the timetable, it's just using the Olympic timetable.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm sure that some people will travel to Weymouth for the sailing, whether they are true sailing fans or not, but I wonder how many people will stay away because of what is taking place?

Weymouth is going to be hell in the fortnight gap between the Olympics and Paralympics. An entire summer holiday's worth of ordinary daytrippers and the like squeezed into the two free weeks :-x

D1009

Established Member
There are some posting pn this forum for whom nothing XC could ever do with their voyagers could possibly be praised. I know the voyagers are awful to travel in, particularly when they are busy, but in terms of reliability and performance they are among the best in the country, and this is reflected in their PPM level which in my view is impressive given it can be affected by problems on almost every main line in the country.

calc7

Established Member
There are some posting pn this forum for whom nothing XC could ever do with their voyagers could possibly be praised. I know the voyagers are awful to travel in, particularly when they are busy, but in terms of reliability and performance they are among the best in the country, and this is reflected in their PPM level which in my view is impressive given it can be affected by problems on almost every main line in the country.

I for one am quite happy travelling on a Voyager. What I find disappointing is that capacity is being wasted on what many have said will be a half-empty service (presumably to impress a Quango somewhere) whilst people up and down the core X-shaped route are standing day-in, day-out.

If a HST is available to replace that unit, it should be on such duties more often!

Status
Not open for further replies.