• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager or Adelante

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewNo2

I never had a problem with Voyagers - I used the XC HST sets mainly for their stopping pattern and openable windows. Not travelled much on Adelantes (244.14 miles), but never saw much wrong with them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Do Voyagers and Adelantes have the same engines? Obviously they have completely different transmission.

QSK19's, along with the 185's

The main Adelentes I have used are Grand Central which need some work. The Hull Trains ones are quite nice, though

They don't do well doubled up, however ;)

87019Chris

The main Adelentes I have used are Grand Central which need some work. The Hull Trains ones are quite nice, though

They don't do well doubled up, however ;)

Grand Central's are going to be Refurbished soon AFAIK.
Also the last couple of time the coupling process at least at GC has gone Fairly smoothly and has worked meaning we should see it happen more :lol:

When it comes to a Voyager or an Adelante I would choose and Adelante every time. Major reason because of the interiors 180's have more leg room nicer seats and better lined up windows.
However a 222 which is primevally a 220/1 unit is closer as the interior has had more though put into it. But still not as good in my own opinion as a 180

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've always thought of Adelantes as a 'poor man's Mark 3'.

Voyagers, on the other hand, are a poor man's version of Christ knows what.
Meridians. Or the Belgian LHCS on which they are very loosely based.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'd like to add that I think the Adelantes look a lot cooler than Voyagers as well!
You can of course put a fancy fibreglass snout on anything...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
180s all the way. Great little trains... when they work. To me, they always feel like an express development of the 156 (and that's a compliment).
That they sort of are, but one with all sorts of irritating niggles.

wensley

Established Member
Grand Central's are going to be Refurbished soon AFAIK.

Correct.

Also the last couple of time the coupling process at least at GC has gone Fairly smoothly and has worked meaning we should see it happen more :lol:

Christmas was the last attempt with no significant issues, all the units are available to coupled if needed. Requiring four of five every day for service makes the opportunities to double up limited, but during significantly disruptive engineering it's certainly the way forward to increase capacity during a reduced timetable.

shaun

Adelante, no contest. When they were built, there was an article in one of the railway magazines which explained how they had looked at the HST for inspiration. Obviously they looked elsewhere when designing the voyagers. Adelantes are very comfortable and spacious, all you really need for an Intercity DMU. It's a shame I never get to travel on them anymore.

Helvellyn

Established Member
The Class 175 and 180 fleet were originally both intended for North Western Trains, although after First acquired Great Western Trains and North Western Trains the Class 180 were diverted to the Great Western routes. Did any other owning group or TOC look at the Class 175 or Class 180?

The Alstom products seemed well placed for post-privatisation orders, but Adtranz/Bombardier seemed to mop up before Siemens came on the scene.

D6975

Established Member
Haha! i can assure you that problem has been rectified!
No it hasn't. I had water pouring from the ceiling onto the seat next to me last time I was on an Adelante. It happened every time the brakes were applied.

They're still better than Voyagers though.

Monkey Magic

I've had it as well fairly recently.

The only downside I would say with the 180s is lack of bike space which in the Cotswold line is a big issue as there are a lot of people with bikes.

hassaanhc

Established Member
No it hasn't. I had water pouring from the ceiling onto the seat next to me last time I was on an Adelante. It happened every time the brakes were applied.

They're still better than Voyagers though.

You can get water through the ceiling on a 458 too occasionally. As well as the air conditioning working in parts of the coach but not in others, certainly the case with yesterday's railtour. And a stench outside the toilets, yet with the issue made about Voyagers one would think only they have this issue :roll:.

Status
Not open for further replies.