• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager Wheel Flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Established Member
Please excuse my ignorance (as always) on this matter.
Are wheel flats picked up automatically or is it left to someone to notice & report them? At Stafford today Voyager 220119 to Manchester appeared to have a good wheel flat on the front (Manchester end) car. Would someone on board report this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
I don't think Voyagers have any system for detecting wheel flats. They will either be picked up by the traincrew and reported in the repair book or they will be found during an exam at the depot. Chances are it is already known about and the unit will find its way to the lathe before long.

ryan125hst

Established Member
How long (on average) does it take for a wheel flat to be found and repaired- all trains that is, not just voyagers.

Some trains seem to suffer from them more than others. For example, HST's seem to have them a lot, yet it's rare to see (or should I say hear!) a 225 with one. Is there a reason for this?

driver9000

Established Member
That depends on the severity of the flat(s). There are maximum tolerances which the rulebook gives as 60mm although from memory some freight wagons can be allowed to 80mm. In my experience small flats can be left for a couple of weeks and lager flats or if the tread has a few flats then it will be dealt with as quickly as the vehicle can be booked onto the lathe.

dangie

Established Member
Going on from this how many times or should I say how much metal can be removed before the wheel has to be re-tyred? If that is what they do. Or do they replace the wheel?

Minilad

Established Member
No automatic detection. Staff report and put in book. Then its a case of waiting till the set gets back to CZ and a visit to the lathe

Crossover

Established Member
No automatic detection. Staff report and put in book. Then its a case of waiting till the set gets back to CZ and a visit to the lathe

If you (collectively I mean) as a driver (or other member of staff were to) does the onboard crew (well, driver mainly I would have thought) have the authority to take the set out of service?

Erniescooper

There are a number of Wheelchex sites around the network that will pick up a flat that's big enough to exert a force of more than 200 KN on the track.

driver9000

Established Member
If you (collectively I mean) as a driver (or other member of staff were to) does the onboard crew (well, driver mainly I would have thought) have the authority to take the set out of service?

Yes although it depends how bad the flats are.

spurs4life

Going on from this how many times or should I say how much metal can be removed before the wheel has to be re-tyred? If that is what they do. Or do they replace the wheel?

When I've spoke to fitters they say they hope to get seven turns before being replaced

DarloRich

Veteran Member

The wheel life is different for each type of wheel set as is the number of "turnings" a wheel can have before it is at a scrap diameter and needs to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.