• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyagers engines at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
When a voyager is at a station, during the process of the doors closing the engine revvs up? Does anyone know the reason for this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When a voyager is at a station, during the process of the doors closing the engine revvs up? Does anyone know the reason for this?

It is to get the engines up to speed ready for the higher electrical output needed for acceleration on departure - so this happens as the doors are closing, but it is really just a coincidence, two separate things are happening together.

MCR247

Established Member
Ok thanks :)

Didnt think closing the doors would require that much power!

So is this something that the driver is in control of or does it do it automatically when the doors start to close? Also when say stood at a signal, will the train do the same thing?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think it must be under driver control, because I've seen a 'close doors' following staff checking a train is empty at the end of journey without causing an increase from idle.

It could be that it works the other way of course, in that applying power automatically closes the doors, if they aren't closing already - you wouldn't really be able to tell from outside the cab!

Ok thanks :)

Didnt think closing the doors would require that much power!

So is this something that the driver is in control of or does it do it automatically when the doors start to close? Also when say stood at a signal, will the train do the same thing?

When the engine management computers detects a drop in voltage across its serial buses, the alternator requires a higher rpm to help recharge the batteries. Its automatic. (like a car, electrics take a feed off the batteries and in turn the battery takes a feed from the carriage alternator).

xc toon

A voyager s engine speed only increases when the driver moves the direction selectee switch from nuetral to forward. The engine speeds up from 994 rpm to 1144 rpm

It is to get the engines up to speed ready for the higher electrical output needed for acceleration on departure - so this happens as the doors are closing, but it is really just a coincidence, two separate things are happening together.

Total and complete train spotter type rubbish !

The engine speed will stay at low idle (994 rpm) until the driver moves the master switch to direction, if the master switch is in direction with the doors enabled then the engines will stay at low idle, as soon as the doors are closed and interlock is achieved and provided the master switch is still in direction the idling speed will increase to 1144 rpm.

On VT the instruction is to keep the master switch in neutral until interlock is achieved and the right away given.

Last edited:

xc toon

sorry but you are wrong, the doors can be open and so long as there is enough main air (above about 6 bar) if the driver moves the selecter switch to forward the engines will goto 1144 rpm.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Total and complete train spotter type rubbish !

The engine speed will stay at low idle (994 rpm) until the driver moves the master switch to direction, if the master switch is in direction with the doors enabled then the engines will stay at low idle, as soon as the doors are closed and interlock is achieved and provided the master switch is still in direction the idling speed will increase to 1144 rpm.

On VT the instruction is to keep the master switch in neutral until interlock is achieved and the right away given.

All I explained was that it is not the action of closing the doors that causes the engine speed to rise.

The way you have explained it, (i.e. the doors being fully closed allows the engine speed to rise if it has been demanded by the driver) does not mean what I said was logically incorrect.

Causing and allowing are subtly different things.

387star

On Moderation
Love the sound Voyagers make when they depart. Really sounds like they are going to get you somewhere fast

richw

Veteran Member
I can hear a voyager from a mile away, they're very loud. Sometimes I can't tell whether they're stationary or departing, because of the loudness. Great engine though

I live about 200 metres max from the cornish main line, of all the passing trains, voyagers are the only ones I hear. Not sure if it's because they are louder, or as they are so much less frequent I haven't learnt to black them out yet.

Arriva158

if it sounds simple, it sounds like the engines are just shunting more power to the electrics to make sure the interlocking and doors complete and to get them ready for what should be a long stint of journey!

Hairy Bear

I can hear a voyager from a mile away, they're very loud. Sometimes I can't tell whether they're stationary or departing, because of the loudness. Great engine though

Great engine ?
They leak oil and coolant everywhere. Throw huge amounts of oil out of the breather and run so hot they rack the power back to cool off.
I disagree.......Not one of Cummins best.

es373

xctoon is right. I thought voyagers were diesel and not diesel electric therefore you don't need to generate a higher electrical output.
Diesel engine is linked to a carden shaft which joins to a gearbox thus delivering tractive effort through the powered wheelsets.

dosxuk

Established Member
xctoon is right. I thought voyagers were diesel and not diesel electric therefore you don't need to generate a higher electrical output.
Diesel engine is linked to a carden shaft which joins to a gearbox thus delivering tractive effort through the powered wheelsets.

No, they're DEMU's. Otherwise the plan to fit them with panto cars would be a waste of time.

es373

Didn't know of any such plan, don't really follow what goes on inside the railways much. That is of course unless it's something to do with my company.

They sound good though.

They sound brilliant :D. Loudest DMU I've heard though
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Great engine ?
They leak oil and coolant everywhere. Throw huge amounts of oil out of the breather and run so hot they rack the power back to cool off.

If this was the case wouldn't they do something about it :|

Nym

Established Member
No, they're DEMU's. Otherwise the plan to fit them with panto cars would be a waste of time.

They're also a new type of DEMU that has recently evolved out of more advanced control systems, nothing like the DEMU or DE Locomotives of yesteryear...

sprinterguy

Established Member
They sound good though.
...Arguably...

Jumped up bus engines with ideas above their station in life, in my opinion <D (Although more accurately, aren't they derived in some way from marine practice?)
Loudest DMU I've heard though
When passengers are required to sit directly above the engines, I don't feel that this is something that should be aimed for - The quieter the better: Locos are different, they keep all the noise in one self contained unit at the end of the train, for enthusiasts delectation only :D

...Arguably...

Jumped up bus engines with ideas above their station in life, in my opinion <D (Although more accurately, aren't they derived in some way from marine practice?)

When passengers are required to sit directly above the engines, I don't feel that this is something that should be aimed for - The quieter the better: Locos are different, they keep all the noise in one self contained unit at the end of the train, for enthusiasts delectation only :D

Yeah, I love DMUs, so the louder the better :D. As for voyager's engines, they're not actually that loud inside, or at least I don't think so

sprinterguy

Established Member
I thought that was the MTUs running around in HSTs?
That's true, but I am unsure if the Cummins engines also follow a similar lineage. Possibly not, and my "jumped up bus engine" analogy might remain more accurate ;)
As for voyager's engines, they're not actually that loud inside, or at least I don't think so
Compared to 180s, which utilise the same engine, the Voyager engine noise is intrusively loud within the passenger saloon IMO.

I can confirm the 'revving up' sound is caused by the driver moving the reverser into forward from neutral. You will notice that the engines rev down after a train stops in a station as the driver moves the reverser from forward into neutral. The doors have nothing at all to do with it. The doors will open and close even if the train is turned off, as long as there is juice in the batteries - as they use motors and not air to open the doors as with some other stock.

MCR247

Established Member
That's true, but I am unsure if the Cummins engines also follow a similar lineage. Possibly not, and my "jumped up bus engine" analogy might remain more accurate ;)

VP185s are boat engines

Nym

Established Member
The QSK19 was a general purpose generator engine, can be used in boats or trains, the 19F is a revision (wider V angle) specifically for rail vehicles.

depablo

Great engine ?

They do suffer from oil leaks, burst pipes, loose fittings, gaskets etc. The breather problem has finally been sorted by a new design.

Normally they do not run hot, however when a fault develops they "derate" and cut the power back. They use hydrostatic fans for cooling; low oil, faulty pumps or fan motors can cause this. Also charge air coolers becoming choked by vegetation from trackside is a major problem, they introduced health checks and the radiators should be cleaned during the night by depot staff (although this does not always happen).

They are a six cylinder engine, laying them out horizontal led to design challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.