• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon87

Hello all,

Some time ago I applied to Freightliner for a trainee driver role. Anyway - failed the online VSE test.

If I were to try again at some point in the future, do I still have two attempts intact or has failing the VSE previously now cost me an attempt?

Much obliged

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
the online VSE doesn't cost a 'life'
It’s debatable. I don’t think we ever got a definitive answer. I was of the same view as you, however others have in fact said it does count?

My reasoning was that the VSE, being an “at home” assessment, can’t be bound by the same two strikes rule, as it’s not monitored or done under exam conditions with the TOC/FOC/OPC.

Anon87

It’s debatable. I don’t think we ever got a definitive answer. I was of the same view as you, however others have in fact said it does count?

My reasoning was that the VSE, being an “at home” assessment, can’t be bound by the same two strikes rule, as it’s not monitored or done under exam conditions with the TOC/FOC/OPC.
If it does count, would it count only for those TOCs who use the VSE (as I understand it’s an enhanced assessment and not used on the national assessment standards) or would it count for all of them?

Stigy

Established Member
If it does count, would it count only for those TOCs who use the VSE (as I understand it’s an enhanced assessment and not used on the national assessment standards) or would it count for all of them?
Again, I can’t say definitively, but that would make most sense.

Anon87

You’re right mate.
My TOC uses the VSE and someone I know can’t apply again as they have failed at the assessment stage and the VSE stage.
Ta mate. So to confirm: I have 2 attempts remaining with TOCs who don’t use VSE, and 1 remaining with those that do.

Which brings me to my next questions :D:D

1. Do many TOCs actually use it? Ones relevant to me are XC, GWR, SWR and TfW as well as all FOCs.

2. In 2013 everyone’s slate was wiped clean, is this due to happen again soon, ie 2023?

Stigy might know this if he sees it..

LCC106

Established Member
To answer 2, it's doubtful. The tests in 2012 were the same as those in 2001. As I understand it the slate was only wiped clean when the assessments changed. The RSSB has to assess the suitability of the psychometric testing once every 5 years. The tests will only likely change if the job changes significantly or new, more suitable tests come to light.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Ta mate. So to confirm: I have 2 attempts remaining with TOCs who don’t use VSE, and 1 remaining with those that do.

1. Do many TOCs actually use it? Ones relevant to me are XC, GWR, SWR and TfW as well as all FOCs.

2. In 2013 everyone’s slate was wiped clean, is this due to happen again soon, ie 2023?

As has been said, doubtful since its only really happened once before. Never say never though.

Anon87

Cheers guys!

Can anyone answer question 1? It would be good if I have 2 attempts at those TOCs I mentioned..

LCC106

Established Member
Please see my edited response above, which explains when tests may be changed and why. Took me a while to edit. Sorry!

Anon87

To answer 2, it's doubtful. The tests in 2012 were the same as those in 2001. As I understand it the slate was only wiped clean when the assessments changed. The RSSB has to assess the suitability of the psychometric testing once every 5 years. The tests will only likely change if the job changes significantly or new, more suitable tests come to light.

Thanks mate, much appreciated

Bluenosemase

Yep, that’s right mate.

Avanti use it and I think freightliner use it too. I think you’re good with the others mentioned however as more and more people apply for driver roles I wouldn’t be surprised if companies started using more stringent online tests. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll use the VSE but you never know.

Anon87

Yep, that’s right mate.

Avanti use it and I think freightliner use it too. I think you’re good with the others mentioned however as more and more people apply for driver roles I wouldn’t be surprised if companies started using more stringent online tests. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll use the VSE but you never know.

Thanks buddy!

Stigy

Established Member

In answer to number 1 - SWR, GWR, DB Cargo and I think TfW do not use VSE. VSE is used in conjunction with enhanced psychometric testing and these operators (again I may be wrong about TfW) only use the National testing standard.

Freightliner do use it (I did the assessments with them and have had interviews/experience with the others bar TfW).

Anon87

In answer to number 1 - SWR, GWR, DB Cargo and I think TfW do not use VSE. VSE is used in conjunction with enhanced psychometric testing and these operators (again I may be wrong about TfW) only use the National testing standard.

Freightliner do use it (I did the assessments with them and have had interviews/experience with the others bar TfW).
Thanks Stigy!

Status
Not open for further replies.