• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VT 12:52 EDB to BHM 2/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

furgus2

Due to an earlier fatality in Leyland area, the set to operate the 12:52 has not arrived in Edinburgh. So, Virgin has chartered an East Coast set to take us to Carstairs where we will change on to the booked Voyager. It's northbound passengers will transfer on to the EC set.
A good effort by Virgin, I think

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Due to an earlier fatality in Leyland area, the set to operate the 12:52 has not arrived in Edinburgh. So, Virgin has chartered an East Coast set to take us to Carstairs where we will change on to the booked Voyager. It's northbound passengers will transfer on to the EC set.
A good effort by Virgin, I think

Very good planning

Did it all work smoothly?

furgus2

Smooth changeover at Carstairs, and only a few minutes late. Lost time due to signal problems at Lockerbie. So, 34 minutes down at Carlisle. Now off down the S&C so should have some good views

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thanks very much for the post furgus2, I was thinking of posting a question as to why the northbound terminated at Carstairs of all places-

Logical because of the very big delay, but I wondered where the stock to form the "shuttle" between Edinburgh and Carstairs had come from.

221104 & 221113.

I also wondered why your service lost quite alot of time Carstairs to Carlisle, so the signalling problem- not reported on nres, explains it.

I assume you got stuck behind the Carlisle to Leeds stopper between Carlisle and Hellifield, delaying you even further.

Was it busy on your train?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I was just looking at this on Open Train Times and nearly made a thread myself! :roll:

http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/C56964/2012/6/2

What struck me was the Warrington and Stafford non-calling points, but due to delays it's understandable.

Nothing to do with it. They aren't going via Warrington, it ran via Wigan NW, then Eccles, Manchester Piccadilly and Styal to Crewe; the WCML via Bank Quay was shut. Stafford wouldn't be a call any way, never really has been for Scotland-Birmingham trains, and unless it's a serious diversion (like Sunday and Monday are) then it never will be.

furgus2

In reply to voyagerdude220,
no idea where the East Coast stock was from but it was certainly a set that had been used by them earlier that morning as it had weekend menu sheets on tables, copies of Saturday's Independent and quite a lot of uncleared rubbish!

The delay was at a red signal just north of Lockerbie and TM announced it as signal problems north of Carlisle.

Yes, got stuck behind the Carlisle to Leeds stopper and then the Clitheroe to Manchester Victoria stopper all the way to Blackburn.

We should have been 16:41 off Preston but as we came to a stop the 17:32 service to BHM was just pulling out. Quite a fast run from the on and, I'm guessing that we overtook the 17:32 train at Wilmslow as there was a southbound Voyager being held at the platform there from the Styal line. So, just a 30 minute delay by the time I arrived at Wolverhampton.

I don't think the train was that busy overall. I was in the front 1st class carriage which was pretty full between Carstairs and Carlisle but then had about 6 people after there.

Failed Unit

Established Member
East coast have a lot of slack on weekends, for example you have arrivals at about 1110 and 1125. The next departures are 1200 and 1300 starting at Waverley. By the time stock is needed for the 1300 2 more trains have arrived from London.

Status
Not open for further replies.