• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[VT Media Room] ‘Mouldy’ shoes caused major security scare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
‘Mouldy’ shoes caused major security scare

Railway managers today issued a reminder to passengers to be vigilant and not to leave their personal belongings and luggage unattended on trains and at stations.

More than 125 trains were delayed and tens of thousands of passengers inconvenienced yesterday (Monday 11 July) after a cardboard box containing a pair of tatty training shoes was left on a Virgin train.

The unmarked shoebox was left on the 1346 Bournemouth-Edinburgh CrossCountry train and sparked a full scale security alert at Oxford. Passengers were forced to leave the train until the all clear was given.

Chris Gibb, Managing Director, Virgin CrossCountry, said: "We would urge all our customers to keep their personal belongings and luggage with them at all times and remember to take all items with them when they leave trains and stations. This one incident caused unnecessary delay and stress for our customers and staff."

Mr Gibb praised the emergency services along with Virgin trains staff and the station staff at Oxford for their professionalism in the way they dealt with the incident.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
Does this mean then that we can't use luggage racks?

Ben

well its better to be safe than sorry

im sorry to say but some idiots are going to have there little pranks the in light of recent events full scale security alert are going to have too happen

it sickens me to think that people find it funny to do pranks like this

Guinness

Established Member
I don't think that was a prank. Its more of a case of forgetfulness. :(

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Along a similar subject of the way things are done in light of recent events, things such as removing the clear binbags on stations and locking bins on trains comes to mind. IMO this does not make anything safer really. Generally speaking terrorist attacks happen on one day, security is increased for aperiod of time, after which it starts to become more relaxed again, bins are put back etc etc. Along the same lines is the now almost continuous announcements to keep luggage with you - how long will it be before these announcements start to become rare again?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sadly I don't know if I will be able to use the trains next year to get to certain time-sensitive events if this sort of thing is going to happen regularly.

I can see a lot of people switching off the trains. I hope this trend doesn't continue, but if it does, I wont be able to persuade people to go by train if they think they're going to get severely delayed.

Ben

Craig said:
TPE said:
Who said it was a prank?

in light of recent events people should think so i would say this is a prank or the owner would of thought about there actions

Lewisham2221

Established Member
TPE said:
Craig said:
TPE said:
Who said it was a prank?

in light of recent events people should think so i would say this is a prank or the owner would of thought about there actions

Why? Especially if the person who the bag belonged to was travelling with more than one bag I'm sure it's quite easy to forget everything, whether or not it's at a time og increasedsecurity doesn't really improve people's memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.