• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VT Stop signs at stations not served by Virgin Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheshirePaul

While traveling around Greater Manchester yesterday on a day ranger I noticed that some stations that dont have any Virgin services had the small black VT STOP signs on the platforms.

2 stations I noticed them at were Manchester Oxford Road and Bolton, any one know why ?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I've also seen these at stations not served by Virgin. I recon its from stations that were once served by Virgin (Cross Country), would seem to be overly expensive to change them all just for removing the VT reference.

MCR247

Established Member
Virgin (and then XC) used to run the Manchester - Scotland service before it was transferred to TPE. It would have stopped at those stations :)

pemma

Veteran Member
I think Hartford has a 11 car VT stop from the days that the pre-Pendolino London services called there.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Manchester Oxford Rd was served by VT until just after Operation Princess. Bolton continued to be served by Voyagers until Virgin lost the Manchester-Scotland services from its franchise, when they were transferred to TPE, who started the services back from the Airport, additionally serving Heald Green and Chorley, as well as Manchester Oxford Rd once more. The majority of services before 2004 involving Oxford Rd and Bolton (before Poole/Swansea etc were taken off the CrossCountry network) were from the South to Scotland, as an alternative of going via Wigan North Western.

There is also a VT Voyager stop board at Gloucester, next to the bay platform (3) if anyone’s interested.

MCR247

Established Member
Manchester Oxford Rd was served by VT until just after Operation Princess. Bolton continued to be served by Voyagers until Virgin lost the Manchester-Scotland services from its franchise, when they were transferred to TPE, who started the services back from the Airport, additionally serving Heald Green and Chorley, as well as Manchester Oxford Rd once more. The majority of services before 2004 involving Oxford Rd and Bolton (before Poole/Swansea etc were taken off the CrossCountry network) were from the South to Scotland, as an alternative of going via Wigan North Western.

There is also a VT Voyager stop board at Gloucester, next to the bay platform (3) if anyone’s interested.

I'm sure it was transferred under XC?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

What was?

Getting a bit confused here, the Manchester-Scotland services remained part of the XC franchise until December 2007, when they were transferred over to FTPE. Arriva ran the service for about four weeks from 11 Nov-9 Dec.

mickey

The services were, but the stop boards weren't. AFAIK XC weren't too bothered about re-signing so the VT boards were kept in place. Similarly at places that are no longer served - they aren't causing a problem so to get rid of them (and potentially put them back one day!) is more hassle and expense than necessary.

MCR247

Established Member
What was?

Getting a bit confused here, the Manchester-Scotland services remained part of the XC franchise until December 2007, when they were transferred over to FTPE. Arriva ran the service for about four weeks from 11 Nov-9 Dec.

You said
Manchester Oxford Rd was served by VT until just after Operation Princess. Bolton continued to be served by Voyagers until Virgin lost the Manchester-Scotland services from its franchise, when they were transferred to TPE

implying that it went from VT=>TP

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You said

implying that it went from VT=>TP

My apologies, it went:

Privatisation-Nov 07 - Virgin Trains
Nov 07-Dec 07 - Arriva CrossCountry
Dec 07-onwards - First TransPennine Express.

The more I say this, I think it was December 2008, but I'm 80% sure it was Dec 07.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
were'nt some virgin services diverted into Victoria years ago??

Years ago.....? (When?)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
My apologies, it went:

The DfT press release from Jul 2007 explains it slightly differently. They reckon Manchester - Scotland stayed with Virgin (ie VWC) for the four weeks up to the December timetable change:

http://www.wired-gov.net/wg/wg-news-1.nsf/0/241A2A694F24BB9F802573140021842E?OpenDocument

The 'editors notes' explain all the dates.

pemma

Veteran Member
My apologies, it went:

The more I say this, I think it was December 2008, but I'm 80% sure it was Dec 07.

No it was:
Privatisation-Nov 07 - Cross Country trains t/a Virgin Trains
Nov 07-Dec 07 - West Coast Trains t/a Virgin Trains
Dec 07-onwards - First TransPennine Express

The reason for this was because they couldn't axe the Windermere-Manchester Airport service mid-timetable and West Coast Trains t/a Virgin Train were to get extra Voyagers from the transfer of the Scottish route.

It was Dec 08 before the much needed extra Northern service was introduced on the Manchester-Bolton-Preston corridor, leaving a gap of 12 months on that corridor due to short-sightedness by DfT.

driver9000

Established Member
The VT stop boards are from when XC was operated by Virgin. Where these boards appear on the former XC network, but at stations no longer served by Virgin they have been left and largely forgotten about but they still serve as a handy stopping board for 4 and 5 car trains of similar size to Voyagers.

d1015fan

was at plymouth yesterday where they are repainting the station. I see someone with black paint has painted over the VT signs there

Status
Not open for further replies.