• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC 05:40 Edinburgh to Kings Cross - seating layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejstubbs

I'm making a booking on the above train for next week and I've run in what appears to be a glitch on the VTEC booking web site. (Cue much astonishment - not.)

I asked it to reserve a forward facing seat at a table in the quiet coach. It found me a backward facing seat. I went in to the seat map and it showed two tables (seats B23 to B30) with no reserved seats around them. I selected a forward facing window seat and went back to the journey preferences page where it showed the seat I had selected, facing forwards but with no tick next to "table". Which seemed odd.

If I select the seat across the "table" from the one I selected, it shows as backwards facing, but again no tick against "table".

Does the VTEC web site not understand the layout of the company's trains, or is something else going on here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sounds like it only has one seating configuration loaded in the database that checks if it’s a table or whatever - the 225 sets.

You’re on a HST so while the seat map is correct it looks like the additional validation isn’t set up for that.

ejstubbs

Sounds like it only has one seating configuration loaded in the database that checks if it’s a table or whatever - the 225 sets.

You’re on a HST so while the seat map is correct it looks like the additional validation isn’t set up for that.

Is that service an HST? Real time trains shows it as electric haulage. (I'd almost prefer an HST because it makes it that little less likely that the train would be completely banjaxed if the wires came down [again].)

pgfb1306

Having travelled on the 05:40 from Edinburgh once too often for my liking, it is without fail electric. That's why we have the branded set (even though it doesn't end up on it 99% of the time - it would just be too hard!) On departure from Edinburgh in standard on the days I've travelled, it has a very light load which will allow you to choose another seat before Newcastle. It still doesn't get that busy there either. First on the other hand is generally full!!

ejstubbs

Thanks, that's good to know.

I note that there are no Advance tickets left for the day in question, though. Good job the firm is paying!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
B23 to B30 are only tables on a MKIV, not a HST - so I got the stock the wrong way around upthread. Still sure it’s a problem with the database though, the database validating table window etc assuming it’s a HST in the map when it isn’t.

mallard

Established Member
Surely just take the booking an move to a nicer seat on arrival

Technically against the rules for Advance tickets (but obviously OK for all other ticket types), but I've never seen it enforced.

Advance ticket terms and conditions said:
Where applicable, you must travel in the Class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
One advantage of the new VTEC site (the only one to be honest) is that you can change your seat reservation. I've done it and it worked fine. You get an email to confirm the new reservation.

Unless the site's been 'upgraded' and the option removed.

Failed Unit

Established Member
This train is very occasionally HST formed. Had it happen on a Monday morning after engineering works between Edinburgh and Newcastle. All the HSTs were in Edinburgh following the Carlisle diversions. Other services on Friday changed to HST or terminated at Newcastle instead of heading to Edinburgh in preparation.

You may really get a HST.

Status
Not open for further replies.