• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC Ex EMT set working to Perth today - 04/11/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

43050/NL65/43061 currently working 1S16 1059 Kings Cross to Perth, via Joint Line (planned diversion).

Believed this will be the first ever pair of VP185 power cars to work North of Stirling (towards Inverness)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What?? Well - I tell you, it'd better be the last time! I'd be frothing with anger if I'd booked on that train!!!

I rather doubt the specific type of seats was a consideration..... and in this instance, nor should it be!

Now if you'd mentioned the NUMBER of seats (as the set is a coach short), that *is* something that would have been factored in.

dk1

Veteran Member
I get great satisfaction from reading the angry tweets to VTEC regarding the use of this set on their precious journey. Since when did getting punters from A to B by train depend on seat type, wifi & a flipping plug socket. Funny old world these days.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It isn’t as if it is the only set on East Coast with the non-refurbished seats, the other ex-EMT set regularly makes it up. (In east coast days with EMT livery). It is the power cars that are of interest as the original poster said. At least if anyone wants to ride it, they know which service it is on.

Surprised to be honest they did it, where is the nearest fitter if it goes wrong in Scotland? But better than cancellation and a nice treat for traction bashers in the north.

Chrism20

Established Member
Is this the one that’s in VTEC branding but has the old IC125 seats in it?

If it is it’s been to Aberdeen before. I was on it one night on the 1818 departure and some fool in a suit was ranting that he had booked an individual seat and because it was a different train he had to look at a rigger all the way to Newcastle.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well to a lot of people the IC125 seats are too short and uncomfortable. In addition (and please don't go on about this armchair rubbish) the new Plush Tush refurbishment has found favour with me, I like the Mallard seating very much and if I got on an IC125 "armchair" as you say it seat instead of the new high back Mallard seat I would be very disappointed.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So you'd rather VTEC had cancelled the train, then?
At the end of the day that's the long and short of it isn't it? I am known as not being a fan of IC70s as found on the set in question but give me a choice between a train and no train? Well the answer is rather obvious. Annoyed I may well be but I'd be far happier to just be safely moving towards my destination.

So with that in mind might I suggest we leave the seat discussion for another thread?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well, you are the moderator so leave it we will. :D

Might any one know if this will be a regular working? According to the always-helpful Frequently Requested Diagrams thread the refurbished ex-EMT set is confined to Hull workings.

Not a regular working... a one-off due to a combination of (a different) HST failure, and pre-planned engineering work via the Joint Line.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Is this the one that’s in VTEC branding but has the old IC125 seats in it?

If it is it’s been to Aberdeen before. I was on it one night on the 1818 departure and some fool in a suit was ranting that he had booked an individual seat and because it was a different train he had to look at a rigger all the way to Newcastle.

Yes that’s the one. It is full 9 coach one. Last time I had it, it even had a normal east coach buffet. Real odd ball as it has some grammar seats in it.

Maybe for another thread but for some reason it was never malladed but I am sure it arrived before east coast took over. It was the first set to be painted in east coast livery. (Well hst set)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I get great satisfaction from reading the angry tweets to VTEC regarding the use of this set on their precious journey. Since when did getting punters from A to B by train depend on seat type, wifi & a flipping plug socket. Funny old world these days.

You don't half get a lot of "Pvt Pike" comments when this kind of thing happens. Imagine the wibble if the train were cancelled because a train with the wrong type of seats was provided ;)

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
For interest. Do EMT power cars make it to Aberdeen often. I know the Leeds - Aberdeen - London - Leeds diagram used to throw up EMT coaches from time to time but never noticed a power car.

Clansman

Established Member
Interesting to hear one came up this way. It's not the busiest route at this time of the year - as the Chieftain was dead North of Newcastle last weekend - so it wouldn't have caused much of a stir on the capacity front.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I don't know about often, but a quick Flickr search suggests plenty of times they have visited.

Adding to the whole VP-185 north of Edinburgh, Cross Country used to higher MML HST's about a decade ago that would have gone up to Aberdeen.

Might the Flickr results of EMT HSTs on the Aberdeen line show XC stand ins not GR ones though?

Hang on, why is VTEC shown as GR? Weird.

Clansman

Established Member

Because GNER first operated the East Coast franchise after Privatisation, so retaining 'GR' as the abbreviation even after they lost the franchise is a sure fire way of identifying East Coast operated services without the need to remember a new abbreviation every time the franchise changes hands.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Because GNER first operated the East Coast franchise after Privatisation, so retaining 'GR' as the abbreviation even after they lost the franchise is a sure fire way of identifying East Coast operated services without the need to remember a new abbreviation every time the franchise changes hands.

This thread may be of interest to anyone who is also curious about TOC Codes. It would also be a good place to post any further questions about it! ;)

markydh

I was on this set when travelling from Newcastle to London the other week. Those seats are incredibly uncomfortable but then I like a high back as I get shoulder and neck pain otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.