• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC/LNER booking emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimShady

Established Member
Does anyone know why were the ICS iCal files removed from booking emails when the web site changed over? It was a most useful feature and even included the fast ticket reference number, it's removal was daft as it's not like it was an expense.

You can still get the iCal files but you have to login and download them, and they don't include the fast ticket reference!

If anyone here works for LNER can it be suggested to mangement/IT to bring that most useful feature back?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why were the ICS iCal files removed from booking emails when the web site changed over? It was a most useful feature and even included the fast ticket reference number, it's removal was daft as it's not like it was an expense.

You can still get the iCal files but you have to login and download them, and they don't include the fast ticket reference!

If anyone here works for LNER can it be suggested to mangement/IT to bring that most useful feature back?

No idea what this means but my email from LNER for my journey yesterday has both the booking reference number and free wifi code clearly displayed in the body of the mail.

Seems perfect tbh but perhaps I am missing some techie issue.

_toommm_

Established Member
No idea what this means but my email from LNER for my journey yesterday has both the booking reference number and free wifi code clearly displayed in the body of the mail.

Seems perfect tbh but perhaps I am missing some techie issue.

The OP is asking about a little button that used to appear in the emails that would download a file called an ical. This would add an entry into said person's calendar with the time, start point, destination, and booking reference for their journey.

Randomer

The file is a quick way of importing the journey details into your preferred calendar software. Also it's the booking reference reservation etc into it so you can just have it in your calendar rather than saving the email.

I suspect that some (probably work) email systems were blocking the booking emails because the calendar files can be started to be used as a malicious attack vector by enterprising hackers depending on how your system reads them (more a Windows thing than iPhone/Android mostly fixed now).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The OP is asking about a little button that used to appear in the emails that would download a file called an ical. This would add an entry into said person's calendar with the time, start point, destination, and booking reference for their journey.

Oh! Thanks! IF I knew how to sync everything calender wise that could be helpful!

The work system does that automatically

Last edited:

Established Member
The file is a quick way of importing the journey details into your preferred calendar software. Also it's the booking reference reservation etc into it so you can just have it in your calendar rather than saving the email.

I suspect that some (probably work) email systems were blocking the booking emails because the calendar files can be started to be used as a malicious attack vector by enterprising hackers depending on how your system reads them (more a Windows thing than iPhone/Android mostly fixed now).
I think that's probably right, I used to have a problem with my work system blocking VTEC confirmation emails from time to time and then having to get IT to whitelist them. I very rarely book with them now because my work travel patterns have changed, so I haven't noticed the loss of the calendar feature. I didn't use it anyway.

GrimShady

Established Member
So that's the reason it was stopped. Okay thanks to all for the responses. They could have informed users of this when the new site intro email went round.

As I said you can still access them but you have to login to download now, they don't include the fast ticket reference anymore, just the booking reference.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
They're still sending free WiFi codes for bookings in First Class though. Have seen a couple of people confused about where to stick them.

Marton

The download option is on the final confirmation page after payment.

The reference no isn’t the collection number and for a return it’s only the outward journey.

A retrograde move IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.