• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC online discount back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Closet2405

I'm booking some tickets from Durham to Edinburgh for 4 adults (2 YP railcards), looked on the VTEC website and the total was £61.35 but on Hull Trains (cashback and Nectar) it was £65.70.

Outward is on Cross Country, £32.20 on both sites. Return is VTEC, £29.15 on their site but £33.50 with Hull Trains.

Does this mean that the online discount for VTEC is back? The tickets aren't in my basket on the VTEC site, so its not as though I've taken the last in a tier of Advances.

(The journey is out 27th June at 1217, return 29th at 1842)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
The short answer to your question is: "No".

Rather, what you are getting for your homeward journey is VTEC's small group discount: for groups of 3 to 9, you get 25% off VTEC Advances booked on the VTEC site, but no railcard discounts.

So instead of paying two 100% fares and two 66% railcard-discounted fares (total 332%) you are paying four 75% fares (total 300%).

EDIT: in fact, you are getting charged for a small group of 3 (3 x £7.50) plus one railcard
-discounted adult (1 x £6.65) because that (at 291% of the basic adult fare of £10.10) is cheaper than a small group of 4 (at 300%).

Last edited:

Closet2405

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of the small group discount. Is it only VTEC who do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.