• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC: Surprise and delight

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
How about "Spend over £xxx for your ticket, and get a free hot drink from the buffet car"?

No special vouchers needed, just show your ticket, point at the price, get it stamped, and walk away with your hazardous cup of scalding liquid (oh, sorry - that was another thread...).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
How about "Spend over £xxx for your ticket, and get a free hot drink from the buffet car"?

No special vouchers needed, just show your ticket, point at the price, get it stamped, and walk away with your hazardous cup of scalding liquid (oh, sorry - that was another thread...).

do I get a kitkat as well?

Clip

Established Member
do I get a kitkat as well?

Only if youre responsible enough to walk back holding 2 things in your hands...

overall I'm never too bothered about loyalty schemes in the main - I have a nectar card as I shop there but find myself using GWR for most bookings of late as they keep having 5x the points collected.

I'm still going to travel whether I pay for it or get a free ticket. Its never going to encourage me to travel at any other time

Holmevalley

If I have spent a 3 figure sum on a ticket I would expect to be cosseted in first with a full English breakfast...... a cup of coffee....set your sights higher then settle for the kitkat:)

Leisurefirst

Well, don't suppose I'll get anything as for some bizarre reason I don't get any marketing e-mails at all from them anymore despite being signed up.

Not for the Seat Sales or anything despite booking loads of tickets.

This forum is my source for that so thank you to all those who post offers.
I have asked them why and after many e-mails they claim that I must have them blocked (I don't) and yet I get e-mails from all the usual spammers and every other TOC/retailer I can think of I have bought from.

I know I could set up another e-mail/account but why...?!

Last edited:

SaveECRewards

Well, don't suppose I'll get anything as for some bizarre reason I don't get any marketing e-mails at all from them anymore despite being signed up.

This forum is my source for that so thank you to all those who post offers.
I have asked them why and after many e-mails they claim that I must have them blocked (I don't) and yet I get e-mails from all the usual spammers and every other TOC/retailer I can think of I have bought from.

I know I could set up another e-mail/account but why...?!

I rarely get offers, except for the seat sales that are promoted to everyone and are on the front page of their website when running.

When the 'Hot Cakes' sales were running I relied on other people to tell me about them (some weeks they promoted them on Twitter, other weeks the social media team had to pretend the promotion wasn't running if someone asked).

Anyway, with the current booking engine on it's last legs (supposed to be gone today, but it's been extended for another day at least). Let me share a decent promo code I was sent (not by VTEC but by someone who hadn't booked in a while).

It's limited use, but was still working this morning. It's 30% off VTEC advance fares, it seems to work with some connections too. It also seems to work on top of railcard discounts:

http://saveecrewards.co.uk/promo

Use it before they close the current site down!

SaveECRewards

More information how the on-board 'surprise and delight' is supposed to work.

The app the crew are issued with has a 'Rewards and Recognition' section, customer lookup and ticket information. The crew enter the headcode of the train they're working on and that will obtain the passenger details for the service.

The rewards and recognition section will list all the customers that should get a treat by name and seat number. Once the reward is being given it is recorded in the app (so presumably if they're not given this they'll be offered again next time).

The customer lookup section can bring up more information about who is supposed to be occupying a particular seat, assuming they know. This information they can only get if you book direct and haven't booked for anyone else or moved your seat. It's a lot easier for airlines where the person flying must be the name on the manifest. The information is supposed to include whether they're a high value customer and also an overview of complaints - whether you've had issues in the past, etc. Supposedly to help offer a personal service.

Other ideas have been considered such as recording other preferences such as preferred drinks and any dietary requirements to further customise the service (unless it's used to influence stock loading I can't see the point of this as you'll still have to ask the customer what they want).

If they allow ordering of special meals in first class to cover varying dietary requirements I could see that as a big improvement but that was never mentioned, I have suggested it on various occasions though.

I'm hoping that special meals will be considered more now that British Airways has introduced Club Europe (business class) on domestic flights in April and, in theory, you can order a special meal that'll suit most requirements.

Pumbaa

Established Member
We've never had those on the east coast. Always seemed odd to have seats that were reserved just on the off chance.

But for the frequent traveller, especially on heavily loaded peak trains, they are very gratefully received!

They're also surprisingly well known amongst regulars.

SaveECRewards

But for the frequent traveller, especially on heavily loaded peak trains, they are very gratefully received!

They're also surprisingly well known amongst regulars.

I did suggest something along the same lines to VTEC when the Azuma launches with electronic reservations.

Keep a small number of seats in each class which are not reservable by regular customers but can be reserved by people who meet a certain criteria (so a bit like traveller). They could be reserved right up to boarding time.

This would mean on a completely fully reserved train the best customers could grab a short notice seat but it would not block anyone else if seats not used by frequent travellers.

Established Member
BTW - lounge passes? what have we become?

You may mock, but when you spend your working week travelling the length of the country for work by multiple train companies as I do, the difference between getting an hour in the Waverley lounge when you're between trains run by apparently unworthy operators like TPE and Scotrail, or sat on a bench outside Smiths is quite a useful and productive one.

I used to shovel a packet into VTEC. The least they could've done is let me peacefully use one of their tacky lounges for half an hour when I'm not precisely travelling on one of their leatherette upholstered short formed understaffed trains.

SteveP29

I did suggest something along the same lines to VTEC when the Azuma launches with electronic reservations.

Keep a small number of seats in each class which are not reservable by regular customers but can be reserved by people who meet a certain criteria (so a bit like traveller). They could be reserved right up to boarding time.

This would mean on a completely fully reserved train the best customers could grab a short notice seat but it would not block anyone else if seats not used by frequent travellers.

How would you police it on a busy train though?
Somebody is likely just to sit there as it'll look like an unreserved seat to them, then try moving them when you have ticket validity to sit there.
The guard/ train manager could move them on, but from what I read on here, there are train managers out there who will just avoid conflict and confrontation.

Romilly

Established Member
Earlier in the year, I had just started a long journey on VTEC and the guard came to find me in my standard seat, checked my name, and told me that his smartphone was telling him to offer me a free upgrade to 1st class for that journey.

SGS

Neither do I! Not even about the sales. They ocassionally send me surveys, which I dutifully complete. That's gratitude for you.

I was amazed someone mentioned they get XC offers. I've never known them have a sale ever.

SGS.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport

Chrism20

Established Member
The problem with this is that it requires you to be actually in the seat you have booked for it to be delivered.

I've thought for a while that VTEC have been playing games with the reservations. Takong last weeks journey as an example when I booked it five days before coach K was showing about 70% loaded on the seat planner, when I boarded there were nine reservation tags in the entire carriage.

Same with the return - well over 50% loaded on the seat planner when booking and hardly a soul or reservation tag to be seen.

Therefore I didn't bother with my seat in L and say in the quiet coach like what I had wanted to do to start with.

Established Member
The problem with this is that it requires you to be actually in the seat you have booked for it to be delivered.

I've thought for a while that VTEC have been playing games with the reservations. Takong last weeks journey as an example when I booked it five days before coach K was showing about 70% loaded on the seat planner, when I boarded there were nine reservation tags in the entire carriage.

Same with the return - well over 50% loaded on the seat planner when booking and hardly a soul or reservation tag to be seen.

Therefore I didn't bother with my seat in L and say in the quiet coach like what I had wanted to do to start with.
Do you mean that they're claiming a scarcity that doesn't exist to pump up prices? I can't say that I've come across this in any of the bookings that I've made recently, but maybe they're trying this in amongst everything else.

Surely all it would do is send buyers looking for cheaper alternatives. There's a cost threshold that I won't cross, I'll just find another way of making the journey.

Between this and the thread on the new VTEC website, they do seem to making themselves look a bit desperate. Which of course we all know they are...

MrCub

I've taken a journey with them today. When I booked it a little while ago, the train was showing as heavily reserved in 1st class. The reality - six of us in coach M; seven in L and no one in K because the air con had failed. I can assure everyone that the booking system showed many many more seats occupied. There weren't even reservation coupons on the supposedly booked seats. Hmmmmmm.

As for the food; dear God it's awful, it really is. Oh well; gone are the good times!

Chrism20

Established Member
Do you mean that they're claiming a scarcity that doesn't exist to pump up prices? I can't say that I've come across this in any of the bookings that I've made recently, but maybe they're trying this in amongst everything else.

Surely all it would do is send buyers looking for cheaper alternatives. There's a cost threshold that I won't cross, I'll just find another way of making the journey.

Between this and the thread on the new VTEC website, they do seem to making themselves look a bit desperate. Which of course we all know they are...

The vast majority of my VTEC journeys are on breakfast services which are obviously peak so its difficult to tell with them but quite a few have not felt as busy as they were looking when booking.

Last week though was 1530 southbound and the seat map looked busy. There was maybe thirty seats tops to choose from over the three carriages. I assumed when booking that it looked quite busy due to there being no 1500.

M was well loaded as it always is due to the reservation system automatically allocating the advances to it but K & L were almost empty with hardly a reservation to be seen.

Either there was an issue with the system or something odd is happening however it was the same the following day on the way back up.

I've taken a journey with them today. When I booked it a little while ago, the train was showing as heavily reserved in 1st class. The reality - six of us in coach M; seven in L and no one in K because the air con had failed. I can assure everyone that the booking system showed many many more seats occupied. There weren't even reservation coupons on the supposedly booked seats. Hmmmmmm.

As for the food; dear God it's awful, it really is. Oh well; gone are the good times!

Yep this is exactly what happened with me last week except M was reasonably busy.

Last edited:

SaveECRewards

How would you police it on a busy train though?
Somebody is likely just to sit there as it'll look like an unreserved seat to them, then try moving them when you have ticket validity to sit there.
The guard/ train manager could move them on, but from what I read on here, there are train managers out there who will just avoid conflict and confrontation.

That's why I said they could be reserved right up until boarding, once boarding commences they're no longer available.

The Azuma has electronic reservations so it would make sense to make use of the fact you could reserve tickets up until the last moment. (I'd not advise on allowing reservations when the train is moving like CrossCountry do and then people getting surprised when someone turns up with a reservation.

johnr57

You may mock, but when you spend your working week travelling the length of the country for work by multiple train companies as I do, the difference between getting an hour in the Waverley lounge when you're between trains run by apparently unworthy operators like TPE and Scotrail, or sat on a bench outside Smiths is quite a useful and productive one.

I used to shovel a packet into VTEC. The least they could've done is let me peacefully use one of their tacky lounges for half an hour when I'm not precisely travelling on one of their leatherette upholstered short formed understaffed trains.

+1

yes i like Waverley too and used to use it alot - even the wifi worked well!

on the subject of "Rewards" travelled YRK - KGX return 1st twice a week and YRK-EDB twice a month for a couple of years and the best reward was the cheery welcome of the regular crew on the 2000/1N33 ex KGX with the promise to make sure they woke me up before we departed york!

SaveECRewards

+1

yes i like Waverley too and used to use it alot - even the wifi worked well!

on the subject of "Rewards" travelled YRK - KGX return 1st twice a week and YRK-EDB twice a month for a couple of years and the best reward was the cheery welcome of the regular crew on the 2000/1N33 ex KGX with the promise to make sure they woke me up before we departed york!

Certain trains do seem to get the exceptional crew, the 18:19 from KGX being my favourite. I know the 20:00 tended to have a great team as well, but not travelled on that service since the rota changes.

There was a time when the 20:00 was an evening meal train which was nice.

The only time I had asked to be woken up (before EDB) was back when the 15:00 used to go to GLC, I had been working until 5am and had little sleep. Unfortunately they forgot due to a medical emergency elsewhere on the train. Couldn't be helped, but they endorsed the ticket so I could travel back to EDB for free on ScotRail.

If you're a regular and get to know the crews they can then customise the service much better than a phone app ever will.

As for East Coast Rewards if you were travelling multiple times a week you must have been very points rich, did you use them for free tickets or redeem them for non-rail related stuff?

FQTV

The 1S03 Leeds to Aberdeen GNER crew were truly exceptional. One of their number appeared in the infamous TV documentary aligned to the 225 introduction.

Likewise the crew of the up 1Y45 (?), the c1810 from Newcastle to King's Cross.

And also the 1Y08 (again '?') 0600 from Newcastle, which in pre-Hatfield days arrived at King's Cross at 0848, 18 minutes earlier than the equivalent service today.

They were my regulars, but there must have been many more. Others may well recall names and faces from these three; one or two I've been delighted to meet even quite recently, despite the reunions effectively being laments of times past!

Last edited:

SaveECRewards

The 1S03 Leeds to Aberdeen GNER crew were truly exceptional. One of their number appeared in the infamous TV documentary aligned to the 225 introduction.

Likewise the crew of the up 1Y45 (?), the c1810 from Newcastle to King's Cross.

And also the 1Y08 (again '?') 0600 from Newcastle, which in pre-Hatfield days arrived at King's Cross at 0848, 18 minutes earlier than the equivalent service today.

They were my regulars, but there must have been many more. Others may well recall names and faces from these three; one or two I've been delighted to meet even quite recently, despite the reunions effectively being laments of times past!

Does anyone know what the fastest and average journey time London-Edinburgh (or vice versa) pre-Hatfield?

I was a regular on GNER but only between Newcastle and London.

SteveP29

the difference between getting an hour in the Waverley lounge when you're between trains run by apparently unworthy operators like TPE and Scotrail, or sat on a bench outside Smiths is quite a useful and productive one.

Smiths ain't there any more, its now a Pret a Manger (and it only takes up half of the area Smiths had (other half still closed and unrefurbed)

Shops now in Waverley:
Boots
Upper Crust
Costa
Pret
Millies
Paperchase
Burger King
M&S Food
The pub (it has a new name which I can't remember, its not the Nor Loch any more)

Why so many food choices?
Who is going to buy stationery before a train journey? apart from those that 'might' wrap a birthday or christmas present en route
I know people tend to read from electronic devices these days, but there is still a place for printed magazines, surely Smiths wasn't making that much of a loss, or is it that coffee shops turn over more profit because half the country is addicted to caffeine?

SteveP29

That's why I said they could be reserved right up until boarding, once boarding commences they're no longer available.

The Azuma has electronic reservations so it would make sense to make use of the fact you could reserve tickets up until the last moment. (I'd not advise on allowing reservations when the train is moving like CrossCountry do and then people getting surprised when someone turns up with a reservation.

What about somebody travelling from say Peterborough to Newcastle, how do you stop somebody at Kings Cross from sitting in what would look like an ordinary unreserved seat because somebody will be taking it at Peterborough?

Romilly

Established Member
Smiths ain't there any more, its now a Pret a Manger (and it only takes up half of the area Smiths had (other half still closed and unrefurbed)

Shops now in Waverley:
Boots
Upper Crust
Costa
Pret
Millies
Paperchase
Burger King
M&S Food
The pub (it has a new name which I can't remember, its not the Nor Loch any more)

Why so many food choices?
Who is going to buy stationery before a train journey? apart from those that 'might' wrap a birthday or christmas present en route
I know people tend to read from electronic devices these days, but there is still a place for printed magazines, surely Smiths wasn't making that much of a loss, or is it that coffee shops turn over more profit because half the country is addicted to caffeine?

For the record, WH Smith has re-opened in its half of its old premises, and (for those for whom this matters) there's also a Caffe Nero and a Pasty Shop.

Chrism20

Established Member
Is Millie's still there?

I'm sure it was taken away a while back now.

Chrism20

Established Member
What about somebody travelling from say Peterborough to Newcastle, how do you stop somebody at Kings Cross from sitting in what would look like an ordinary unreserved seat because somebody will be taking it at Peterborough?

Allow it up to boarding time at the origin station hence why they said they wouldn't allow seats to be booked whilst the train was moving like XC do.

That would solve your Peterborough problem.

Personally I think it would need to be slightly before allowing boarding to allow time for the information to download and appear on the screens prior to boarding but 30/45 minutes before departure is more than possible with electronic reservations.

SaveECRewards

Allow it up to boarding time at the origin station hence why they said they wouldn't allow seats to be booked whilst the train was moving like XC do.

That would solve your Peterborough problem.

Personally I think it would need to be slightly before allowing boarding to allow time for the information to download and appear on the screens prior to boarding but 30/45 minutes before departure is more than possible with electronic reservations.

30 minutes before departure sounds right. Boarding normally starts 15 minutes before departure but I've rarely seen it start more than 20 minutes before so it gives time for the reservations to be downloaded.

The display will then say 'Reserved from Peterborough'

Status
Not open for further replies.