• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC won't excess 'GC Only' ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Fast LM trains arrive at unbarriered platforms.

That is not universally true. But so far as I know the barriers at 8-11 are set to any ticket valid at Euston. VT never grip on arrival, nor is there any grip on arrival at the unbarriered platforms.

However, barriers will be being installed on all except 16-18 soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wellwhatitis

Where's your evidence for that?

Did you not read the bit where I mentioned the many passengers I came across daily who I had already discussed their ticket selection with on various previous occasions? Please read the whole post before you bat a random and provocative question at me that you could have answered yourself.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Would it be possible to set the automatic barriers at Euston to decline said tickets?

That seems unlikely with current technology. AIUI from previous discussions, the magstripe 'London Terminals' coding works barriers at every station that is listed as a London Terminal.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That seems unlikely with current technology. AIUI from previous discussions, the magstripe 'London Terminals' coding works barriers at every station that is listed as a London Terminal.

It's difficult to know what it is that would be rejected, as the tickets would carry acceptable origin, destination, and route.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Did you not read the bit where I mentioned the many passengers I came across daily who I had already discussed their ticket selection with on various previous occasions? Please read the whole post before you bat a random and provocative question at me that you could have answered yourself.

You think that because you have met (how many, three or four?) some passenger's who've not listened to you and in your view may or many not be trying it on that somehow means that 99% of people with these tickets are also doing likewise?

Following a failure to provide anything but a tiny anecdote to support a rather wild claim in the context of what we're discussing, you were asked to clarify, not react so disrespectfully.

I hope that makes sense. There's no point having a debate if you can't at least be civil.

paul1609

Established Member

I don't think the London Terminals statement is true. Tickets from Southern stations outside the zones to London Terminals are rejected by the barriers at St Pancras seek assistance even though the fare is the same you have to get a ticket to London st Pancras.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I will base the following on the Edinburgh - Aberdeen route [ECN] and if we can take Cross Country out of the equation. ScotRail provide almost an hourly direct service for most of the day and if you add in the semi-fasts to Dundee with a change there to a Glasgow - Aberdeen there is almost two services an hour.

East Coast only provide about four trains a day but undercut our fares marginally with their "VTEC ONLY" fares. As these fares are cheaper, even by a few pounds, a small but significant portion of passengers already purchase these tickets, whether by accident or design, and travel on ScotRail services. This number would increase when word gets round that the worst that can happen on board is that all you have to do is pay the difference. These tickets work the barriers and multiple working, busy trains, & avantix failure, not to mention declined cards, would result in a significant portion of these tickets not being excessed.

Even if these tickets are excessed this does not result in revised revenue allocation but the final irony is that East Coast would receive a further share of the excess value on top of the bulk of the original ticket (ScotRail may receive an agents fee if they retailed it, however).

If only they could make the ticket route restricted then you could excess it and still not get the money. But at least it would be legal to excess it.

If they are within 10 minutes of each other this is surely no different to trains out of King's Cross or Euston at peak times going to the same destinations within a few minutes of each other by the same TOC.

Is is one station in Glasgow were both train companies arrive or two?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Take a random member of the public to the departure board at London Euston and point out to them a train which is operated by West Coast Trains Limited. Go to the platforms and point out a the West Coast Trains Limited service to them. Then explain to them why WCTL is appropriate when everything you have shown them says Virgin Trains.....

Quite. Everyone knows it as Virgin Trains, but what's actually on tickets is nothing like that, is it? Especially as it isn't known as 'West Coast' and never has been.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You think that because you have met (how many, three or four?) some passenger's who've not listened to you and in your view may or many not be trying it on that somehow means that 99% of people with these tickets are also doing likewise?

Following a failure to provide anything but a tiny anecdote to support a rather wild claim in the context of what we're discussing, you were asked to clarify, not react so disrespectfully.

I hope that makes sense. There's no point having a debate if you can't at least be civil.

There are hundreds of passenger, daily, disingenuously claiming that they didn't know that their ticket was not valid on the service they travel on. The lie is a form of roulette. It often reults in a win for the regular commuter. They stand a chance of ending a year's travel a few hundred or even thousand pounds better off.

Any regular revenue inspector or guard quickly learns the pattern of the first lie followed by the repeated identical lie. With over a 1000 passengers a day, its those who tell the lie which can't be confirmed who will be remembered when they repeat it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I don't see much "attacking" of the railways either. One London Midland guard has stated his opinion and was asked to justify it whilst pointing out that data is not the plural of anecdote.

IME commuting with London Midland for two years a few people using Virgin Only tickets are the least of their worries (especially as London Midland benefit just as much the other way around). If they'd actually start enforcing first class it'd be nice.

clagmonster

Established Member
Is the route encoded on the magnetic strip?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think the London Terminals statement is true. Tickets from Southern stations outside the zones to London Terminals are rejected by the barriers at St Pancras seek assistance even though the fare is the same you have to get a ticket to London st Pancras.
It take it you are referring to the Thameslink barriers? If so, could it be that the barriers are simply set to reject all London Terminals tickets. Remember that from Bedford southwards along the MML tickets are issued to London Thameslink, so there will be comparatively few passengers using those barriers with a valid London Terminals ticket, as the vast majority of those from north of Bedford will arrive at the main station, as will a good number interchanging at Bedford from the Marston Vale Line.

wellwhatitis

How can I have a civil debate with someone who thinks I should access some complex data stream that clearly I can't in order to back up my experience (not opinion)? Clearly it is far more than 3 or 4 or I wouldn't go to the bother of posting. Where did I say 3 or 4? How about 40 to 50 daily? And that's just on my shift and only the ones I get to.

Based on your 'need for evidence' we might as well not have a forum as everybody's opinion is clearly irrelevant due to it being unsupported.

I'm sorry but you're talking nonsense.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is the route encoded on the magnetic strip?
It is, but of course there is a secondary reliance on the gateline staff recognising why the ticket has been rejected. If both East Coast and West Coast used a route described as "Virgin Trains only" with the use of different codes on the mag strip, there would be no means of the human operator being able to distinguish between them.

clagmonster

Established Member
It is, but of course there is a secondary reliance on the gateline staff recognising why the ticket has been rejected. If both East Coast and West Coast used a route described as "Virgin Trains only" with the use of different codes on the mag strip, there would be no means of the human operator being able to distinguish between them.
My point was more about barriers at Euston so that the current gateline could be set to reject said tickets as no Virgin tickets use said platforms.

For the routeing on the differing Virgin Only ticket, my solution would be to keep the Virgin Trains only routeing on West Coast flows that couldn't possibly use East Coast at any stage (ie those that don't involve Glasgow or Haymarket), then have the new VTWC Only routeing, or similar, on those where there is the clash.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think this issue can be dealt with simply. People with the wrong tickets are treated as if they've made a mistake and given the opportunity to correct it fairly, and never criminalised or accused of 'lying' unless there's some actual evidence of this.

Those are my views and they are not an attack on the railway. Frankly it's outrageous that anyone might be accused of such for holding this view, and I'm disgusted that some members think they have the right to make that judgment.

I also express concern at railway staff who seem to think up to 60 people on their train are criminals without having the evidence to say they are.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The whole argument is silly. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. I doubt all of them are trying it on, similarly I doubt all of them are innocent. Your average passenger is much more intelligent than some of us give them credit for. Similarly some people struggle with even the basics of railway ticketing.

There is an existing procedure for dealing with such an irregularity. The unused ticket can be submitted for a refund. If withdrawn, it should be returned should an investigation result in no further action imo. I don't imagine anyone with common sense making the same mistake twice, or three times at a push.

clagmonster

Established Member
I fully agree with bb21. There could be a case for better information for those who struggle, I'm not sure what is provided at present. Messages on the screens at Milton Keynes at Euston, stating tickets marked VTWC Only (or conversely LM Only as appropriate), possibly an extra line on announcements and at stations.

When it is clear that people are trying it on, there should be a mechanism to separate the chancers and the genuine mistakes. I would say something along the lines of take details and issue a polite warning the first time, then subsequent offences resulting in being chinged up for a penalty fare and then any more direct to prosecution.

razor89

They might be 'anti-current custom and practice' but so what? Can anyone honestly say that the system that exists is perfect? It seems a reasonable position to take that whilst they are a hardcore minority that will always try and get away with fare evasion it's not fair to tarnish everyone with the same brush.

There's a hardcore minority who will flat out refuse to pay, even when challenged. These people are often quite easy to spot in a crowd. Then there is the minority that only pay when challenged and it's quite often impossible to tell the difference between these people and those who genuinely have made a mistake. I can tell you that it surprised me to discover quite how big that minority can be, since I began my career on the railway. I agree it's not fair to tarnish everyone but without a large shake up in the system it's difficult not to. They either catch everybody or nobody.

I think this issue can be dealt with simply. People with the wrong tickets are treated as if they've made a mistake and given the opportunity to correct it fairly, and never criminalised or accused of 'lying' unless there's some actual evidence of this.

Those are my views and they are not an attack on the railway. Frankly it's outrageous that anyone might be accused of such for holding this view, and I'm disgusted that some members think they have the right to make that judgment.

I also express concern at railway staff who seem to think up to 60 people on their train are criminals without having the evidence to say they are.

I agree regarding using the wrong tickets. Clearly more and better evidence would be useful in weeding out the fare evaders from the genuine mistakes.

I think you know enough about the railway to realise that the member of staff you refer to is obviously not going to be able to provide evidence for this. If there is documentary evidence to prove this it will not be intended to be released to the public.

When it is clear that people are trying it on, there should be a mechanism to separate the chancers and the genuine mistakes. I would say something along the lines of take details and issue a polite warning the first time, then subsequent offences resulting in being chinged up for a penalty fare and then any more direct to prosecution.

Maybe an instant access database available to all revenue protection staff could help? If all incidents were logged, any repeat offenders would very quickly be caught.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think you know enough about the railway to realise that the member of staff you refer to is obviously not going to be able to provide evidence for this. If there is documentary evidence to prove this it will not be intended to be released to the public.

All of which is fine and dandy, you just don't go around making that kind of accusation.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I don't know what happens at Milton Keynes Central, but I know they announce "tickets marked London Midland are not valid on this train" for Virgin Trains services that call at Watford Junction, and announce the same in reverse at Birmingham New Street for Cross Country services via Coventry.

As for wellwhatitis' point, if "40 or 50 people" on a train that seats 500 are using the wrong ticket, then IMHO that indicates a fairly serious problem with how the industry is choosing to retail its tickets. I don't doubt some people have an unfortunate habit of making the same "mistake" every single day, and with these people likely to be taking the same train most days they'll become easy to spot. I also expect that plenty of people make genuine errors- London Midland's TVMs are an absolute nightmare to use and Virgin's TVMs prominently list their own tickets ahead of everyone else's.

I more took issue with the way wellwhatitis was using hyperbole to imply that everyone who makes that mistake is a crook, deliberately out to defraud London Midland.

wellwhatitis

I don't know what happens at Milton Keynes Central, but I know they announce "tickets marked London Midland are not valid on this train" for Virgin Trains services that call at Watford Junction, and announce the same in reverse at Birmingham New Street for Cross Country services via Coventry.

As for wellwhatitis' point, if "40 or 50 people" on a train that seats 500 are using the wrong ticket, then IMHO that indicates a fairly serious problem with how the industry is choosing to retail its tickets. I don't doubt some people have an unfortunate habit of making the same "mistake" every single day, and with these people likely to be taking the same train most days they'll become easy to spot. I also expect that plenty of people make genuine errors- London Midland's TVMs are an absolute nightmare to use and Virgin's TVMs prominently list their own tickets ahead of everyone else's.

I more took issue with the way wellwhatitis was using hyperbole to imply that everyone who makes that mistake is a crook, deliberately out to defraud London Midland.

I did not say and am not saying that they are all crooks. And what's more I accept that the industry has retail problems. But what I am saying is that there are a sizeable proportion of people using trains daily who are extremely clued up and are happy to knowingly take the chance on buying a specific TOC only product because it is cheaper in full confidence that they will travel undetected and save considerable amounts over the course of the year compared to their more compliant compatriots.

I made the point myself that Beardy's Fast Ticket machines are effectively traps. And when I come across passengers who have genuinely made an error ( and yes they are out there) I sell them the new ticket, endorse their ticket as unused and initial it and direct them to Beardy for a refund. When I encounter the serial offenders, I sell them the new ticket and refuse to endorse the other one. It is ridiculous to expect me to offer 'evidence' other than my experience as already stated. These people do this shamelessly in the knowledge that the worst that will happen to them is they will be asked to buy a new ticket on the rare occasion they are detected. 9 times out of 10 they will go unchallenged, sail through the barrier and pocket the saving.

Meanwhile cramped LM commuter trains leave passengers behind at smaller stations because they are full of effective freeloaders. That is my point, I am on the side of the fare paying passenger. And it is the ones who do everything right who pay the penalty by either paying more than the others or being prevented travel.

To say it is 'balanced out' is also wrong. LM only tickets are only for long journeys where the chances are if you board a Pendelino your ticket will be checked. Passengers generally therefore only make that mistake once after they end up paying a standard fare on a new ticket.

Due to the short nature of the journeys where VT only apply, the reverse will rarely happen. I once did a BHM to BHI stopper where nearly every passenger travelling to the NEC had purchased tickets at New St and all but a couple had Virgin only. LM received next to no revenue for carrying nearly 300 passengers. It is a complete fiddle and they will always claim not to have been made aware by the ticket seller or the TVM.

As for evidence. I have claimed in the past that ticketless travel and fare evasion in my area are rife, and been laughed at on here by the apologists and hand wringers.

Today I have done an 8 hour shift with a break of an hour.

I issued 79 tickets. 7 of those were to passengers who boarded at unmanned stations. 1 other held a Pertis and 2 were season ticket renewals.

Every other journey commenced from a mainline station with a ticket office or TVM.

Care to explain how/if the other 69 passengers planned to pay their fare if I hadn't worked every train? (as many of my colleagues don't)

Last edited:

wellwhatitis

No, just 99% of them :o.

In fairness I didn't call anybody a crook or accuse them of breaking any law in relation to TOC only. Just trying it on in order to save money.

As is often the case on here, people who don't like your views or observations twist things and use words that you didn't in order to justify their opposition. When all they had to do was just state their opposition.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
In fairness I didn't call anybody a crook or accuse them of breaking any law in relation to TOC only. Just trying it on in order to save money.

Well if they don't have a valid ticket they are breaking the law ;)

"Trying it on" isn't exactly a neutral statement about someone's intentions either.

I think the main issue is Virgin's TVMs listing their (slightly) cheaper tickets first.

As for your wider points about fare evasion on London Midland, I'd generally agree with you. But then London Midland have pretty much decided they don't care about revenue protection; the TVMs don't take cash and the opening hours of the ticket offices can be erratic, even at the busier stations like Hemel Hempstead or Berkhamsted.

wellwhatitis

I think the main issue is Virgin's TVMs listing their (slightly) cheaper tickets first.

I agree, and they should have a stop put to them.

I can't see the justification for offering a VT only BHM -BHI ticket other than to manipulate revenue streams in a cynical fashion.

But then this is the Beardy and Souter show, and they didn't get where they are today.......

Status
Not open for further replies.