• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTWC 70 minute min journey for 1st Class refreshments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I've booked a day trip from Chester to Bangor on a Friday in August - decided to treat myself to VTWC 1st Class rather than ATW, mainly for the better seating and a seat reservation, which is not supplied for Advance tickets by ATW.

Departing CTR at 1016, arrive BNG 1124, so 68 minutes.
Departing BNG 1425, arrive CTR 1528, so 63 minutes.

What is the likelihood of getting any refreshments? Not really bothered, but I will bring my own if need be. At those times of day what might be on offer if I do get fed and watered?

Not sure if the 70 minute thing is applicable on VTWC or VTEC, maybe both nowadays?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anti-pacer

Established Member
I've booked a day trip from Chester to Bangor on a Friday in August - decided to treat myself to VTWC 1st Class rather than ATW, mainly for the better seating and a seat reservation, which is not supplied for Advance tickets by ATW.

Departing CTR at 1016, arrive BNG 1124, so 68 minutes.
Departing BNG 1425, arrive CTR 1528, so 63 minutes.

What is the likelihood of getting any refreshments? Not really bothered, but I will bring my own if need be. At those times of day what might be on offer if I do get fed and watered?

Not sure if the 70 minute thing is applicable on VTWC or VTEC, maybe both nowadays?

Sitting near the kitchen/catering area would probably increase your chances of getting something to eat.

Established Member
Sitting near the kitchen/catering area would probably increase your chances of getting something to eat.

As well as your chances of being kicked out of your seat as a staff member wants to sit there!:D

trainophile

Established Member
My seats are in Coach E, which appears to be the kitchen coach so I may get lucky. I'm not expecting much but even a cup of tea would be a bonus.

anti-pacer

Established Member
This will be a Voyager so if he's in First Class he only has one choice of carriage...

This is true. In which case the OP will be near the kitchen.

When I travelled from Holyhead to London last year on a very early train, I was eating breakfast before Llanfairpwll-blah-blah-goch.

Oh how I miss that week of the 1st Class ALR.

furgus2

I've made the journey between Chester and Llandudno Junction twice during the past fortnight in 1st on the mid-morning trains and each time I've been offered the full range of breakfast items.
Mind you, how you are dressed might affect the attitude of the 1st class host. On the one journey, an elderly couple who boarded at the same time as me and being soberly dressed were offered a hot drink and breakfast orders taken. The host then came to me and wanted to see my ticket before she'd serve me. That's my fault, perhaps, for being dressed in a hoody, shorts and trainers!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think you have a very good chance of getting something. If you don't because the staff decide to enforce the 70 minute rule, then that's a shame, but you can't really complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.