• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTWC First Class Free Upgrade with Standard Anytime Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm travelling on VTWC later today using the return portion of an Anytime Return (any permitted).

Do holders of these tickets still get a free first class upgrade at weekends?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
I'm travelling on VTWC later today using the return portion of an Anytime Return (any permitted).

As far as I'm aware no tickets get you "free" upgrades, but they do give you the option to upgrade for £15 going South and £10 going North which seems fairly reasonable.

tony_mac

Established Member

It's still on the national rail website
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46557.aspx

On weekends and Bank Holidays, upgrades to First Class on Virgin Trains is free of charge if holding a Standard Class Anytime ticket by approaching the Train Manager.

crehld

Established Member

From the national rail enquiries website:

Virgin Trains

Upgrades are priced at £15 for adults and £5 for children for a single journey, regardless of the length of journey.

On weekends and Bank Holidays, upgrades to First Class on Virgin Trains is free of charge if holding a Standard Class Anytime ticket by approaching the Train Manager.

For a trial period only, Virgin Trains will be offering the Weekend Upgrade for £10 between Saturday 24th July through to Sunday 5th September between London Euston / Watford Junction / Milton Keynes Central and Rugby / Coventry / Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As far as I'm aware no tickets get you "free" upgrades, but they do give you the option to upgrade for £15 going South and £10 going North which seems fairly reasonable.

This isn't quite correct.

Holders of anytime tickets may approach the train manager for a free upgrade to first class.

For all other tickets it's £15, regardless of length or direction of travel, or £10 if travelling between London and Wolverhampton and intermediate stations.

Edit: although things are all change in a couple of weeks! http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130459

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Excellent, thank you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No problem with the train manager when she came round to check tickets. I handed ot over without comment, she had a good look at it, clipped it and handed it back to me with a smile.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I recently emailed Virgin West Coast asking this very question. The reply, dated 29/04/2016, confirms that the offer is still available.

Dear X,

I am very sorry our inital response didn't answer your query and I apologise for the delay to this reply.

I can confirm for you that we do indeed offer free First Class upgrades to customer holding a Standard Anytime ticket on weekends and bank holidays.

I hope that I have responded satisfactorily to your query. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.