• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTWC First class wrong way round

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo

Driving along the M602 into Manchester yesterday (26/07) I was passed by (I think) 1M07 - Glasgow to London. The interesting thing is that First Class was on the rear, whereas I would normally expect it to be at the front.
Would this train reverse somewhere, or has the set been reversed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Driving along the M602 into Manchester yesterday (26/07) I was passed by (I think) 1M07 - Glasgow to London. The interesting thing is that First Class was on the rear, whereas I would normally expect it to be at the front.

Had this a few weeks ago from Glasgow , they can reverse around the Hamilton Circle.

Komma

A few years ago when working for Virgin as a dispatcher at Euston, a fellow dispatcher got on the radio to control.

Instead of telling them a train had come in in reverse formation, he said for all staff to hear that "it had come in upside down". It still makes me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was once on a VT service ex Glasgow that was reversed using the Edinburgh line at Carstairs for issues in the cab.

driver_m

Established Member
Birmingham and Scotland are the main ways to turn a Pendo. Can also be done in the North West by running Liverpool to Wigan/Warrington and then towards the other. A number of sets will be in reverse to due coming off Edge Hill at Liverpool and heading directly North instead of going to Crewe as was always done in pre AC says over Chat Moss.

Established Member
It still had first at the north end when it was working 1H26 to Manchester later on. Announcements still said first was the correct way round.

Most likely the set got reversed after the events on Thursday (diversions around Birmingham area?) in which journey check was showing a few sets running back to front yesterday morning.

6Gman

Established Member
Happens from time to time. Usually announced (at Crewe anyway), but not always.

As already stated various ways it can happen; various ways it can be sorted.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
According to a message sent on Tyrell this morning (from Virgin) 12 390s are currently in reverse formation, along with 3 of their 221s.

Mugby

Established Member
I got the 1248 Stoke to Manchester yesterday (1120 ex-EUS) and First Class was at the front. The screens at Stoke advised this.

Incidentally, this particular train seems to be a 9-car set now, it was usually an 11 set before the May change?

RLBH

I would have a guess it harks back to the days of porters where they could meet and greet you and assist with luggage if need be.
I'd understood it to be based on the logic that First Class passengers were Important People who, on arriving in London, would expect to be off the train and on their way as soon as possible. Presumably being at the London end, they'd not only be easily met by porters but would also be first in the queue for taxis.

On the way out of London, the First Class passengers would be nearest the buffers so that they didn't have to walk so far to get to their seats.

Of course, in steam days First Class was likely to be in the middle so that it was as far from the locomotive as possible in either direction - and in a train with multiple portions, or reversals en route, could be absolutely anywhere!

boxy321

The trains are all over what with the WCML being dug up. 9 cars have 11 and vice versa and the 390s are arriving with announcements only being made as the trains enter platforms causing chaos.

RAPC

The 10:15 from Piccadilly this morning was a 9 car in reverse formation as well.

Don’t often see them in reverse at Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.