• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTWC Roster Planner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
Being advertised now (for a "Talent Bank," whatever that is, anyway). Is this something that someone with no railway experience would have a chance of getting? What sort of skills would be needed, if so? I've got a PhD in Economics, and three years of work experience, but again, none of it is railway related.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Being advertised now (for a "Talent Bank," whatever that is, anyway). Is this something that someone with no railway experience would have a chance of getting? What sort of skills would be needed, if so? I've got a PhD in Economics, and three years of work experience, but again, none of it is railway related.

I've had a look at the job advert and job description and your question about required skills are quite comprehensively covered between them. It doesn't look like prior railway experience is compulsory. If you market your skills to match the requirements as stated in the advert, you stand a good chance of getting through to the next stage.

Presumably a talent bank is a holding pool of candidates who will be contacted once a vacancy becomes available. Knowing the railways, that could be immediately or in a few weeks/months time. If it's a career path you're interested in, it's definitely worth putting yourself forward!

Not so sure about Virgin, but in some places, there is a fair turnover in rosters. I imagine being in a role where you have to balance the demands of front line staff, unions and management can be relentlessly challenging! Some people love that as being busy makes the day go more quickly.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member

If you’re intelligent enough to do a PhD in economics you’ve got far in excess of the underlying intellectual horsepower required to get most (if not all) jobs on the railway, and no doubt most jobs in general!

The question is aptitude. The aptitude tests are what still needs to be overcome (not to be underestimated, some very bright people fail them) but a lack of railway experience shouldn’t make any difference to the outcome of these. Equally intelligence, prior experience etc. means nothing if you don’t have the aptitude.

Overall I’d say, forget the lack of experience, no bar at all, fill your boots and apply. Think about your motives for the job, as for any interview, and focus on the aptitude tests.

Last edited:

Emmsie

The railway is a great leveller, people that would walk pretty much every test may fail a test on the railway, likewise I was working a train with a conductor and the driver had to repeatedly make an announcement for the conductor to call him. In conversation the conductor mentioned that he had passed all the tests for a driving role and pretty much all the oxygen got sucked out of the carriage from shock, you could feel the agitation from the passengers that he might be let loose at the front of the train.

Cavan

I think you need experience for as this - as the JD says:

· Computer skills – Word, Excel and outlook. Roster packages and Voyagerplan.

· Experience in resourcing frontline rail staff

· Broad knowledge of rail infrastructure and Station functions

Mordac

Established Member
I think you need experience for as this - as the JD says:

· Computer skills – Word, Excel and outlook. Roster packages and Voyagerplan.

· Experience in resourcing frontline rail staff

· Broad knowledge of rail infrastructure and Station functions

Well spotted. I was going to apply today, but alas, it's not to be. Too bad, because it looks like a really interesting job. Oh well.

Thanks everyone who answered.

Economist

Interestingly enough I know a friend of a friend who got a job in Delay Attribution a couple of years after quitting a PhD in Pharmacology. So, these sort of roles can attract intellectual types.

RJ

Established Member
Well spotted. I was going to apply today, but alas, it's not to be. Too bad, because it looks like a really interesting job. Oh well.

Thanks everyone who answered.

I wouldn't let that put you off to be honest. Align your application with as many of their requirements as you can, send if off and see what they say. You have to be in it to win it and the worst they can do is say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.