• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

W & C drivers / general drivers' question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucephalus

Hey there, as I understand it, Central Line drivers work the Waterloo and City line currently but... what happened when class 487 trains were in use? Did the drivers literally go back and forth all day? I can't begin to imagine the monotony if so.

Whilst on the subject, what is the most monotonous line to drive? How do you cope with being stuck in a tunnel for 8 hours if your job is Victoria Line for example?

And finally, are you encouraged to go and learn different rolling stock?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Whilst on the subject, what is the most monotonous line to drive? How do you cope with being stuck in a tunnel for 8 hours if your job is Victoria Line for example?
I know a few Train Operators who have transferred on to the Victoria line, they much prefer it to their previous, longer lines, as you’re only on the train a little over half hour, and then on most duties stepping back at both ends of the line.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
When the 487s were in use, the line was part of British Rail (Network Southeast latterly- were duties on the W&C part of one of the mainline links?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
When the 487s were in use, the line was part of British Rail (Network Southeast latterly- were duties on the W&C part of one of the mainline links?

They were integrated duties with upstairs - something like 1 week in 8 for drivers , the poor guards were allocated down there full time. By all accounts , not a job that was enjoyable.

Bucephalus

stepping back at both ends of the line.
They were integrated duties with upstairs - something like 1 week in 8 for drivers , the poor guards were allocated down there full time. By all accounts , not a job that was enjoyable.

Ouch!!!

Even 1 week in 8 is a bit much. I imagine there would be about 80 trips made in one shift.

Must have been an interesting situation at the point of time when LUL took over. Some class 482 BR drivers would effectively have experience driving Central Line trains go unused

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But meanwhile, I understand that for Leytonstone T/Ops, working the Drain is quite a popular little number, with a good bit of interest and a “waiting list” to get regular shifts down there from the syndicate!

philthetube

Established Member
Horses for courses, wouldn't be for me though I used to love doing the Chesham shuttle.

rebmcr

Established Member
I understand that for Leytonstone T/Ops, working the Drain is quite a popular little number, with a good bit of interest and a “waiting list” to get regular shifts down there from the syndicate!

Any idea why? Stepping-back every 4 minutes sounds like a right pain. I could understand if they stayed in their own cab all shift, driving one way and relaxing the other.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

I understood that it was reserved for crew who had received a Form 1 and were effectively on a final warning. Earlies and lates only, no Sundays or nights to bump the pay, nothing to see, no variety and bloody awful trains. The 487s were literally a last chance saloon.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Any idea why? Stepping-back every 4 minutes sounds like a right pain. I could understand if they stayed in their own cab all shift, driving one way and relaxing the other.
Well with all that travelling time, stepping back, and other activities, very little time is actually spent driving!

Bucephalus

I understood that it was reserved for crew who had received a Form 1 and were effectively on a final warning. Earlies and lates only, no Sundays or nights to bump the pay, nothing to see, no variety and bloody awful trains. The 487s were literally a last chance saloon.

I assumed that this was the case with the SE drivers of the Grove Park - Bromley North shuttle too. No Sundays or nights on that one either

SlimJim1694

I assumed that this was the case with the SE drivers of the Grove Park - Bromley North shuttle too. No Sundays or nights on that one either
The Bromley North poppers are complete brain damage. There are plenty of Sundays and nights (and everything in between) at Grove Park depot and the Bromley poppers are not on a dedicated separate link, but lumped in with everything else, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Bucephalus

The Bromley North poppers are complete brain damage. There are plenty of Sundays and nights (and everything in between) at Grove Park depot and the Bromley poppers are not on a dedicated separate link, but lumped in with everything else, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I see, sorry that makes more sense! When I went on it, seeing the driver doing the walk of shame changing ends, I comically imagined it as a place people were 'banished' to.

Last edited:

SlimJim1694

I see, sorry that makes more sense! Went I went on it, seeing the driver doing the walk of shame changing ends, I comically imagined it as a place people were 'banished' to.
Hahaha! That would be quite a punishment, and perhaps its not a bad idea! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.