• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wabtec Awarded Contract For £60M Class 321 Refurbishment Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Still no word from Wabtec on the probable completion date of 321 303 I assume.

Here's a thought. Will they have sufficiently good new headlines to consign the yellow fronts to the dusty bin?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfie1014

Saw 321321 outside Doncaster Wabtec over Christmas so that makes 4 away for refurb. Also the one and only time since the new timetable that I have seen the 317 diagram on the GE it was a pair of 321s.

Established Member
Saw 321321 outside Doncaster Wabtec over Christmas so that makes 4 away for refurb. Also the one and only time since the new timetable that I have seen the 317 diagram on the GE it was a pair of 321s.

It is usually 317s. There is an instruction for it to be 317/5s or 317/8s due to overcrowding when they had /6s on it for obvious reasons.

Class 170101

Established Member
I don't think Colchester and Clacton drivers are signed on 317s so I'd think it unlikely that a 317 would be used that far north. Unless someone knows better.

Runs to Ipswich on 18:18 departure from London. Real Time trains is your friend.
Only Ilford sign them now. Some of Colchester depot and Liverpool Street depot used to sign them but not now. They lasted two months running between Liverpool Street and Stowmarket / Norwich / Harwich before Abellio won the franchise and withdrew them.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Runs to Ipswich on 18:18 departure from London. Real Time trains is your friend.
Only Ilford sign them now. Some of Colchester depot and Liverpool Street depot used to sign them but not now. They lasted two months running between Liverpool Street and Stowmarket / Norwich / Harwich before Abellio won the franchise and withdrew them.

I used to see them at Colchester on Saturdays back in the mid-nineties too, I assume on the Harwich International service. They also very briefly replaced the 322's in about 2005. I only ever saw one Ipswich train (12 car) with 317s during that time but a set was in Colchester sidings for a while.

Back to the 321s (and sorry if I missed this earlier) but are they having new motors too and, if so, will they be able to run with unrefurbished units?

Class 170101

Established Member
Back to the 321s (and sorry if I missed this earlier) but are they having new motors too and, if so, will they be able to run with unrefurbished units?

I would expect so otherwise another sub-fleet is created with all the inefficiencies that generates.

MrPIC

I would have thought that would mean higher capacity? More standing room? And anyhow I'd rather travel on a /6 any day over a /5 or /8 as all the /6's are relatively pretty inside

Wivenswold

Established Member
So, any news on when AGA will be getting the first refurbished Renatus units back?

Bringback309s

Does anyone have any interior pics of the refreshed 321's and 170's? I've only seen one pic of the 321's

Goldfish62

Established Member
Still no word from Wabtec on the probable completion date of 321 303 I assume.

Here's a thought. Will they have sufficiently good new headlines to consign the yellow fronts to the dusty bin?

I may be wrong but I think in order to dispose of the yellow front the upper central marker light is also required.

MrPIC

Looking good! I know its probably been mentioned but does this work include retractioning?

jcc

I think that all will be pleased to know that the seats are not "'Ubiquitous Fainsa seats", and instead are Quantum's M100.

Alfie1014

There is a movement from Old Dalby to Ilford EMUD for tonight/tomorrow via Bescot and Willesden, which suggests a re-tractioned '448' is coming home.

Alfie1014

No I don't think anything's changed inside just the new traction equipment.

According to Realtime Trains it has arrived at Ilford.

Last edited:

Shunter_69

Assume the original move was the train coming to pick up 352 rather than delivering another unit.

Alfie1014

I see that 352 and 448 made it back from Old Derby this week. I think 448 is now at Clacton, is it now cleared to run under NR wires or will it require more testing before entering passenger service?

Crossover

Established Member
There was a white 321 nestling in amongst the 460 remains at the yard at Doncaster when I passed in Friday. All I could see was the cab front which had a poppy on one side. Which is it and is it there for refurb?

Status
Not open for further replies.