• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wabtec Awarded Contract For £60M Class 321 Refurbishment Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
Yup I saw it out and about yesterday. It's essentially exactly the same inside as the demonstrator was with power sockets everywhere. Disabled loo is very snazzy and the heating works very well. I see people on the old Twitter sphere are impressed with it as well.

D365

Veteran Member
Seems like a bit of a waste when they're all going to be replaced in the next three to four years. Could Northern take them on to replace the 319s?

Established Member
Seems like a bit of a waste when they're all going to be replaced in the next three to four years. Could Northern take them on to replace the 319s?

Well they probably could but they have an agreement to use 319's along with getting new EMU's and we are taking at least 3 years down the line so its seems a fairly moot point at this stage.

D365

Veteran Member
Eversholt is going to want at least 10-15 years of income to get a return on their expenditure on the Renatus programme, by 2020 the treated 321s will surely be a more attractive proposition than Porterbrook's 319s.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The 'castoff' 319s seem to be posting pretty poor reliability figures from the anecdotal evidence I've heard on here, both with LM and ARN. If the Renatus units can be tamed to offer equal or better reliability figures than that, then I imagine they'll be the top pick of the pre-privatisation stock. Nonetheless I'm pretty sure that the 360s and 379s are still likely to be chosen first unless the lease rates are unattractive. Not so sure about 365s - theoretically a Renatus 321 would be seen as a better unit based on its interior spec? Not seen any evidence that the AC traction package is going on the Renatus units any time soon though...

bramling

Veteran Member
Not so sure about 365s - theoretically a Renatus 321 would be seen as a better unit based on its interior spec? Not seen any evidence that the AC traction package is going on the Renatus units any time soon though...

Personally I still think the 365 has a much nicer interior -- even after the recent refresh which has dumbed it down a little.

The Renatus, on paper, has air conditioning. Again, personal preference, but I'd rather have the 365 interior and manage without air conditioning. The 365 has a superb heating system (sometimes too good!), ball vents to provide some degree of comfort cooling, and hopper windows which provide decent circulation to cool the saloon on all but the very hottest days.

The 365 does have issues with a rather obsolete traction package, and (IIRC) a rather route-specific safety case. I'd imagine the 321 is a more readily "go anywhere" train.

Class455

Established Member
Could there be a similar programme for the Class 455/8's that Eversholt own? Eversholt seem to be investing in their older units so I wouldn't rule it out The 455's are more or less have the same design as the 321's apart from the front ends.

D365

Veteran Member
Personally I still think the 365 has a much nicer interior -- even after the recent refresh which has dumbed it down a little.

If it's kept clean, that is. The grime on the unit I was on yesterday was horrific.

The 455's are more or less have the same design as the 321's apart from the front ends.

Uhh...

smudga331

Is this in service yet?

Do we know which line it has been serving? Has it been assigned to a "Guinea pig line" as the IPEMU was in case of any problems?

Thanks.

jcc

Same horrible ironing board seats which are spreading across the industry like a swarm of locusts, I see.

These seats are by Quantum- the normal "ironing board" seats are by Compin-Fainsa.

DasLunatic

Is this in service yet?

Do we know which line it has been serving? Has it been assigned to a "Guinea pig line" as the IPEMU was in case of any problems?

Thanks.

It was in service on the Colchester - Walton stoppers today. Whether or not it stays there is up to the diagramming departments.

I managed to see it arrive and depart Colchester. More photos can be seen here.

It sounded slightly different to the standard 321 - but that may not be the new powerpack.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Apart from what sound like aux inverters, it sounds identical to me. Did we establish if these units actually have the new traction package yet?

Somewhat disappointed to see the same crappy old PIS displays there. It also looks very dull and grey inside, red grabrails would have brightened it up substantially, but oh well, the actual fit and finish looks quite nice. I look forward to eventually trying one out.

Last edited:

On Moderation
These seats are by Quantum- the normal "ironing board" seats are by Compin-Fainsa.

Ta. They look very similar, and I'll bet they are equally as cheap as the Fainsa version, as that is the deciding factor.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Looks nice inside. But will all those stickers have to be changed to just Greater Anglia now?

Is this the equivalent of rolling out the 700s with the old Thameslink logo?

DasLunatic

Looks nice inside. But will all those stickers have to be changed to just Greater Anglia now?

Is this the equivalent of rolling out the 700s with the old Thameslink logo?

From what I've seen of the units that've received the new logo, it's a fairly simple thing to do, but yes, the Abellio does need removing. It only got the logo because it was due back in the previous franchise. The engineering issues mentioned in the previous pages of course scuppered this. Newer units in this livery will probably get the new logo off the bat.

Last edited:

smudga331

Nice pics and vids DL!

So can this be coupled to standard 321's?

or will this be avoided due to the differences in acceleration capabilities between units to save strain being placed on couplers etc.?

DasLunatic

Nice pics and vids DL!

So can this be coupled to standard 321's?

or will this be avoided due to the differences in acceleration capabilities between units to save strain being placed on couplers etc.?

Logic would dictate that coupling between Renatus and standard Bins can and will happen - SWT's 455s are being retractioned and mixed sets crop up there. I only saw it as a single unit so I can't be 100% certain.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Newer units in this livery will probably get the new logo off the bat.

You'd hope so, but the 700s are all getting the old logo because that's what the contract said and nobody thought to pay a bit extra to change before the end of production.

That's a different contract though, and I don't even see why GTR decided to change logo (another argument for another day/thread). Especially as the DfT won't have asked for it, and certainly won't pay for it..

Status
Not open for further replies.